Subject: [ANCP] SECDIR review of [email-masked]

From: Ran Canetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 12:12:35 -0400

***   I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
***   ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
***   IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
***   security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
***   these comments just like any other last call comments.

The draft describes potential threats and attacks, and consequently 
security requirements for the Access Note Control Protocol. (This protocol
allows configuring the components of DSL connections to the Internet.)

My main comment is that most (if not all) of the attacks seem to be generic 
  man-in-the-middle and DOS attacks. Also the short list of security 
requirements that are derived from these attacks (section 8) seem pretty 
generic authentication and secrecy requirements for Internet connections.
It would be nice to differentiate and highlight the security threats and 
concerns that are special to the ANCS setting. In particular, what are the 
trust relationships between the different  protocol principals/entities? 
Are they all run by the same administrative domain?  Also, are all links 
equally untrusted, or are there links that are less trusted than others?
Also, are all attacks equally devestating? Which are more costly/important 
to prevent?

Best,
Ran

---

From: Hasnaa Moustafa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:12:05 +0200

Hi Ran,

Indeed, the draft firstly gives a generic description on the potential
attacks and attack forms that are liable to take plase within ANCP, then
Section 7 in the draft applies these generic attacks on ANCP and explain
their details within the different ANCP use cases.
Maybe this was not clarified in the Introduction of the draft. We submitted
a new version for the draft, clarifying such point in the Introduction and
also considering the other comments that we received.

Kind regards,
Hassnaa

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Ran Canetti [mailto:[email-masked]]
Envoyé : samedi 4 juillet 2009 18:13
À : [email-masked]; [email-masked]; MOUSTAFA Hassnaa RD-CORE-ISS; Ran Canetti
Objet : SECDIR review of [email-masked]

The draft describes potential threats and attacks, and consequently security
requirements for the Access Note Control Protocol. (This protocol allows
configuring the components of DSL connections to the Internet.)

Best,
Ran