Subject: [ANCP] Multicast Sub-Capability Definition

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:11:23 -0400

I would suggest that the multicast sub-capabilities be defined in terms of 
independent sets of messages and TLVs supported. Once we have done that, we can 
describe their relationships.

I suggest the following sub-capabilities:

a) NAS-controlled replication

Implies support of the Multicast Replication Control message

b) NAS-controlled admission

Implies support of the Multicast Admission Control message

c) Bandwidth delegation

Indication of this sub-capability means that the indicating device supports the 
following messages and TLVs:

Messages:

Bandwidth Reallocation Request
Bandwidth Transfer
Delegated Bandwidth Query

TLVs:

Bandwidth-Delegation-Control
Bandwidth-Allocation
Bandwidth-Request
Bandwidth-Status

d) Shared admission

Implies support of the Multicast-Service-Profile-Name and 
Multicast-Service-Profile TLVs.

I believe a), b) and c) can be implemented independently of each other. d) 
requires b) as a prerequisite.

We can discuss whether support of multicast automatically implies support of the 
  Multicast Flow Query message and Multicast-Flow TLV, or whether this is 
another sub-capability, independent of the other four.

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:29:39 -0400

Thinking further about this, I wonder if these are actually capabilities rather 
than sub-capabilities? That would imply (in my personal view of things, a 
position I've proposed before) that each is written up in its own document.

It would also be nice to break the multicast service profile capability into two:

- basic dynamic multicast service profile provisioning, which conveys black and 
white lists per subscriber

- shared admission control, which adds the grey list capability.

Tom Taylor wrote:
> I would suggest that the multicast sub-capabilities be defined in terms 
> of independent sets of messages and TLVs supported. Once we have done 
> that, we can describe their relationships.
> 
> Indication of this sub-capability means that the indicating device 
> supports the following messages and TLVs:
> 
> Messages:
> 
> I believe a), b) and c) can be implemented independently of each other. 
> d) requires b) as a prerequisite.
> 
> We can discuss whether support of multicast automatically implies 
> support of the  Multicast Flow Query message and Multicast-Flow TLV, or 
> whether this is another sub-capability, independent of the other four.
> _______________________________________________
> ANCP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp
>