Subject: [ANCP] Document Action: 'Security Threats and Security Requirements for the Access Node Control Protocol (ANCP)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:35:08 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Security Threats and Security Requirements for the Access Node Control 
   Protocol (ANCP) '
   <draft-ietf-ancp-security-threats-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Access Node Control Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ancp-security-threats-08.txt

Technical Summary

   The Access Node Control Protocol (ANCP) aims to communicate QoS-
   related, service-related and subscriber-related configurations and
   operations between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an Access Node
   (e.g., a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer (DSLAM)).  The
   main goal of this protocol is to allow the NAS to configure, manage
   and control access equipments including the ability for the access
   nodes to report information to the NAS.

   This document investigates security threats that all ANCP
   nodes could encounter.  This document develops a threat model for
   ANCP security aiming to decide which security functions are required.
   Based on this, security requirements regarding the Access Node
   Control Protocol are defined.

Working Group Summary

  The origin of the working group can be traced back to the WT-147
  "Layer 2 Control Protocol" document from the Broadband Forum. The
  ANCP protocol being developed in the ANCP working group as a result
  of that document is typically used in the access and aggregation
  portions of a broadband access network, and also in inter-provider
  environments. It was therefore decided as a part of the creation of
  the working group to document the security threats that this
  protocol could encounter to ensure that they were fully accounted
  for in the protocol design and that operators deploying the protocol
  were aware of any security threats. This draft is the result of that
  work.

Document Quality

  The document is a security threats analysis, with the protocol being
  specified in a separate WG draft (draft-ietf-ancp-protocol). The
  latter has a number of implementations.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Matthew Bocci ([email-masked])
   Responsible Area Director?  Ralph Droms ([email-masked])