Subject: [ANCP] New version draft-ietf-ancp-mc-extensions-13.txt

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:18:06 -0500

I have created a new version of the multicast extensions draft 
responding to Ted's AD review comments. The changes are as follows:

SUBSTANTIVE

Section 4:
Added a general provision that elements of any message that are not 
supported by the set of negotiated capabilities are ignored. Dropped the 
paragraph in Section 6 that said the opposite, that they would cause an 
error to be generated.

Section 4.2.2, second paragraph:
Previously read that if a new bandwidth allocation is less than already 
committed bandwidth for that access line at the AN, flows SHOULD NOT be 
deleted to bring the bandwidth down to the new limit. Added the 
qualification "unless otherwise directed by local policy".

Issue: this is not consistent with the MUST NOT for a similar condition 
at the end of Section 4.6.2.2. RFC 5851 places responsibility for 
avoiding such a situation on the NAS rather than the AN (second last 
paragraph of Section 3.4.2.1.

Section 4.4:
Deleted the recommendation that the receiver of the error message should 
attempt to correct the error, if possible, for new Result Code values 
0x64 and 0x65.

Also in Section 4.4:
Replaced the Request-Source-IP and Request-Source-MAC optional TLVs with 
a new generic Subs-Session-Id TLV described by the following text:

  "A Subs-Session-ID TLV as defined in Section 5.9 MAY be appended to 
the Command TLV as an additional embedded TLV. The need or this TLV 
depends on what type of subscriber session identifier the operator is 
using to retrieve the subscriber profile information from AAA. Some of 
the types identified by [TR-146] requirement R43 are covered by the 
contents of the Target TLV."

Section 4.4.1:
Deleted text relating to Request-Source-IP and Request-Source-MAC and 
replaced it with:

"Depending on local configuration, the Subs-Session-Identifier
  embedded TLV MAY be included by the AN.  The content of this TLV
  depends on local practice."

Section 5.9:
Replaces old sections 5.9 and 5.10 describing the Request-Source-IP and 
Request-Source-MAC TLVs, with a new section describing the 
Subs-Session-Id TLV. The description is:

"The Subs-Session-Id TLV provides a subscriber session identifier for 
the entity that originated a specific request to join or leave a 
multicast channel. The subscriber session identifier is a value derived 
according to local policy from one of the types specified in [TR-146] 
requirement R43."

Section 6.1.4, Table 4:
Replaced Request-Source-IP and Request-Source-MAC TLVs with 
Subs-Session-Id TLV.

Section 6.2.4.2, end of paragraph 1:
Another change relating to Request-Source-IP and Request-Source-MAC.

IANA section:
Register Subs-Session-Id rather than Request-Source-IP and 
Request-Source-MAC TLVs.

References: deleted [IEEE48] and [IEEE64] and added [TR-164].

EDITORIAL

Section 2:
Defined the term "conditional access and admission control (CAC)" and 
introduced the terms "policy-based admission control" and 
"resource-based admission control" as suggested by Francois. Followed 
through in the rest of the document. Most changes were to add 
"resource-based" in front of "admission control".

Section 4.2 and sub-sections:
Replaced the term "Access Port", used here only, with the generally used 
term "access line".

Section 4.3: made a couple of corrections to the unlabelled figure at 
the end of the section.

  -- Propagate Subs-Session-Id to example Figures 23 and 25 (previously 
24 and 26).

Global:
Numerous edits to provide uniform editorial treatment:

  -- most field values now shown in decimal rather than hex. Key 
exceptions follow precedent set by RFC 6320: TLV types, the Result 
field, and Result Codes (but 0 is shown as decimal). Leading zeroes are 
omitted from Result Codes.

  -- adopted convention of "Text definition", (numerical value) for 
values in enumerations. e.g., "Add" (1) for a Command Code value.

  -- TLV types shown in figures as "TLV Type = name code", with 
truncation as necessary starting on the left, depending on the name length.

  -- Various other clarifications and typo corrections.

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:28:03 -0500

On Dec 10, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Tom Taylor <[email-masked]> wrote:
> "A Subs-Session-ID TLV as defined in Section 5.9 MAY be appended to the Command TLV as an additional embedded TLV. The need or this TLV depends on what type of subscriber session identifier the operator is using to retrieve the subscriber profile information from AAA. Some of the types identified by [TR-146] requirement R43 are covered by the contents of the Target TLV."

This is kind of the opposite of what I thought we'd agreed to, since TR-146 actually recommends using the MAC address, source IP address or DUID.