Subject: Re: [Anima] DNA

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:07:20 -0400

Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > Should we be considering the aims and mechanisms of the old Detecting
    > Network Attachment (DNA) work in the IETF, and specifically the
    > mechanisms standardised by RFC 4436 (v4) and RFC 6059 (v6)?

    > At the least, should we be assuming that autonomic nodes will use these
    > mechanisms as a matter of course? Or is that science fiction?

I think that we can assume this.

My impression is that routers have used the mechanisms in DNA for some time,
and the "revelation" of DNA is that hosts can do it too.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 23:24:32 +1200

> and the "revelation" of DNA is that hosts can do it too.

Yes. The only reason I mentioned it (and this answers a question by
Michael B on another thread, too) is that I assume that when something
breaks in an autonomic network, it's important that all autonomic nodes
regain their link-local connectivity ASAP, so that the ACP can be brought
back as soon as possible, because that must be the critical path for restoring
everything else.

   Brian