Subject: [Anima] I-D Action: draft-ietf-anima-grasp-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 12:11:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach of the IETF.

        Title           : A Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP)
        Authors         : Carsten Bormann
                          Brian Carpenter
                          Bing Liu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-anima-grasp-08.txt
	Pages           : 73
	Date            : 2016-10-29

Abstract:
   This document establishes requirements for a signaling protocol that
   enables autonomic devices and autonomic service agents to dynamically
   discover peers, to synchronize state with them, and to negotiate
   parameter settings mutually with them.  The document then defines a
   general protocol for discovery, synchronization and negotiation,
   while the technical objectives for specific scenarios are to be
   described in separate documents.  An Appendix briefly discusses
   existing protocols with comparable features.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-grasp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-anima-grasp-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-anima-grasp-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 08:29:10 +1300

Hi,

This version is intended to respond to all the comments we received so far,
including those discussed on the design team list. Special thanks to
Michael Richardson for his thorough analysis.

There are a couple of protocol changes:

1. Added an M_INVALID message, so that a node can tell its peer that it did
not understand a message. This is mainly intended so that future extensions
(new message types and option types) can be added without disruption.

2. Increased the Session ID space from 24 to 32 bits. This has very minor
impact on the CBOR encoding, but significantly reduces the chance of
a Session ID collision.

There is one idnits warning: draft-greevenbosch-appsawg-cbor-cddl is
a normative reference to an informative draft. If CDDL is not on the
standards track soon, we will have to deal with this reference in a
different way.

The full change log:

   Protocol change: Added M_INVALID message.
   Protocol change: Increased Session ID space to 32 bits.
   Enhanced rules to avoid Session ID clashes.
   Corrected and completed description of timeouts for Request messages.
   Improved wording about exponential backoff and DoS.
   Clarified that discovery relaying is not done by limited security instances.
   Corrected and expanded explanation of port used for Discovery Response.
   Noted that Discovery message could be sent unicast in special cases.
   Added paragraph on extensibility.
   Specified default maximum message size.
   Added Appendix for sample messages.
   Added short protocol overview.
   Editorial fixes, including minor re-ordering for readability.

Regards
   Brian + Bing + Carsten

P.S. My Python prototype is up to date for these changes.

On 30/10/2016 08:11, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Anima mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
>