Subject: [Anima] Hackathon at IETF94 thoughts

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 20:19:38 -0500

Brian and I have been discussing thoughts about an ANIMA Hackathon at IETF94.

The question has been: how much code would be ready, and how much
interoperation could be actually attempt!

In my mind the first bakeoff/hackathon will likely be a bit underwhelming
because people won't have enough code yet.  That's okay: the point is to
invite people to come and consider how they are going to do things.
i.e. this is as much marketing is it is interoperation, but it's
     marketing to get participation in the future!!!!

We can't plan just the one hackathon.

From my point of view, I see the several stages/actors of bootstrap.
I'm listing them because they can be mock'ed if someone has no code for this.

1) registrar.
2) network of ACP nodes running GRASP, of which one is a willing proxy.
3) new pledge
4) vendor / manufacturer CA

I have some (RubyOnRails) code that can operate as a bit of a registrar, and
I'll have more by March that can do more EST things, but the code I have now
can be used to manually generate certificates.  So, ANIMA systems that
don't have bootstrap code could be manually bootstrapped, and we likely will
learn something doing that.

The network of ACP nodes running GRASP, at least on Linux, is "trivial" to
setup in a mock situation.

At least, it's easy for me to do, and I would very much be happy to share
that experience, so you'd have "installed ACP code".

Could we find someone with enough Microsoft Windows IPsec clue to set up
tunnel on Windows, and figure out how to get the right certificates loaded?
I dunno... maybe someone here knows how.  Also Cisco, Juniper, Ericsson, etc
routers might be manually configured to do ACP tunnels; and we likely learn
something trying to make things interoperate.

So even if we couldn't get RPL to operate across a multi-platform situation,
we might still be able to, for instance, M_FLOOD something across a bunch of
IPsec P2P tunnels connecting things.  That would be a significant
accomplishment in my mind for a first attempt.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 22:08:57 -0500

> Brian and I have been discussing thoughts about an ANIMA Hackathon at

I meant, IETF98, Chicago.