Subject: [Anima] Protocol Action: 'A Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-anima-grasp-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 02:29:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Generic Autonomic Signaling Protocol (GRASP)'
  (draft-ietf-anima-grasp-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and
Approach Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari, Benoit Claise and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-grasp/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the requirements for a signaling 
   protocol that enables autonomic devices and autonomic service 
   agents to dynamically discover peers, to synchronize state with 
   them, and to negotiate parameter settings mutually with them.
   The document then defines a general protocol for discovery, 
   synchronization and negotiation, which can be suitable for variable
   technical objectives. The technical objectives for specific scenarios
   out of scope.

Working Group Summary

  This document was called draft-carpenter-anima-gdn-protocol 
  prior to its adoption. There was unanimous support for it in favor of 
  adoption and none against), so this document was adopted in August
  2015. There was interest in this work posts since its adoption. 
  There was never any opposition for this work.
  
  This document went through a relevant long document development
  period (10 months for individual document period, 17 month for WG 
  document period). It has been reviewed well.

Document Quality

    This document went through multiple reviews by multiple WG
  participants.  There are at least two existing implementations. 
  Both Cisco and Huawei showed interests to implement the specification

Personnel

  Sheng Jiang is the document shepherd.
  Terry Manderson is the responsible AD.

IANA Note

  IANA is asked to assign 2 multicast addresses for ALL_GRASP_NEIGHBOR
  multicast address (IPv6) and ALL_GRASP_NEIGHBOR multicast address (IPv4);
  1 port for both UDP and TCP: GRASP_LISTEN_PORT.

  IANA is requested to create a GRASP Parameter Registry including
  two registry tables: the GRASP Messages and Options Table and the
  GRASP Objective Names Table. In the the GRASP Messages and Options 
  Table, 18 intial values are assigned for M_NOOP, M_DISCOVERY,
  M_RESPONSE, M_REQ_NEG, M_REQ_SYN, M_NEGOTIATE, M_END, M_WAIT,
  M_SYNCH, M_FLOOD, M_INVALID, O_DIVERT, O_ACCEPT, O_DECLINE,
  O_IPv6_LOCATOR, O_IPv4_LOCATOR, O_FQDN_LOCATOR and O_URI_LOCATO. There is
  no initial value assigned in the GRASP Objective Names Table.