Subject: [Anima] some technical terminology considerations in BRSKI

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:40:59 -0400

Vouchers as issues by the MASA and passed on the to the pledge by the
Registrar (JRC) are immutable, and the term "voucher" is perfectly fine.

Writing code and documenting test cases, I find that I am sometimes confused
by the different (signed) thing that the pledge sends to the JRC, and the thing the
JRC sends to the MASA.  They are both voucher requests, and they are
syntactically similar, but they are semantically different.

I mean I gotta given them different test names and store inputs and outputs
in semantically meaningful file names...

I propose to include an adjective in front of voucher request for the two
different situations.  This would be for deeply technical conversations among
those steeped in the art; Max has pointed out that voucher vs voucher-request
is already confusing for some so I don't want to make it worse.

In addition in the JRC->MASA arc are three kinds of voucher requests which
are semantically different:
    a) ones without any prior-signed-voucher-request
    b) ones with a prior-signed-voucher-request which is a pledge-signed
       artifact
    c) ones with a prior-signed-voucher-request which is a (previously-signed) MASA
       artifact

I don't know what to suggest.  I have in mind: colours, flavours, baking terms.
This is indeed a bikeshed question, so I hope it will elicit a really long
thread :-)

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 18:08:16 -0400

> This is indeed a bikeshed question, so I hope it will elicit a really long

I asked a bunch of bakers and foodies and the like.
I have received the following suggestions for the flavours of JRC->MASA voucher-request:

  [Artur] JRC->MASA no prior-signed: "Voucher"
   >    b) ones with a prior-signed-voucher-request which is a pledge-signed
   [[AH] ] "Pledge affidavit (voucher)"
   >    c) ones with a prior-signed-voucher-request which is a (previously-signed) MASA
   [[AH] ] "MASA affidavit (voucher)"

To name the JRC->MASA voucher-request, assuming the pledge->JRC request is
considered "raw".

a) parbaked or parboiled.
b) When dough sits to rise it is called "proofing"
c) Blanch, cure....
d) Maybe a metamorphosis analogy instead? larva/pupa/adult etc.
d) Brewing has lots of stages... malt, mash, etc, etc...
e) Pottery usually gets bisque fired then glaze fired
   and "raku" for when it goes in a fire pit.
f) Semifreddo
g) Ethiopian cooking has a dish of raw minced beef called kitfo where the
   meat is warmed but not cooked.
   There is another version of it where it is partially cooked called lebleb.
h) Also there is coddled, which means partially poached.
   You do this with eggs for Caesar salad dressing, for example.
i) refried?
j) pre-baked?
k) You sear meat before slow cooking it

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:59:51 +0200

If this is for deeply dechnical conversations then i am not sure
how much it helps to come up with analogies into foodie land. Not
that i would mind, but its yet another terminology to remember.

Usually, we (technies) try to indulge into TLAification:

  VR = Voucher
  VRQ = Voucher Request
  NS  = No prior signed
  PS  = Pledge Signed
  MS  = Masa Signed

  NS-VRQ, PS-VRQ, MS-VRQ ?

In any case: think of names whose abbriations can be used on labels
of ASCII art explaining the signaling flows ;-)
Think of n

Cheers
    Toerless