Subject: [Anima] Cloud BRSKI discussion -- Option 3 use cases - Enroll to the Cloud

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 08:40:32 +0100

Following up on the discussion at the WG meeting.
All three:

    https://github.com/anima-wg/brski-cloud/blob/master/presentations/three-flows.png

In all cases the Pledge gets some kind of network connectivity.
This could be an open WiFi, but is more often a cable plugged in with DHCPv4/IPv6.

3) Cloud issues voucher, Cloud issue registrar

This is section 7.2.1 in the ocument.

This is involves all the BRSKI mechanism occuring in the cloud, including
the use of EST onboarding.

The diagram is at:
  https://github.com/anima-wg/brski-cloud/blob/master/presentations/option-3-cloud-only.png

7.2.1:

   +--------+            +-----------+              +----------+
   | Pledge |            | Local     |              | Cloud RA |
   |        |            | Service   |              | / MASA   |
   +--------+            +-----------+              +----------+
       |                                                 |
       | 1. Full TLS                                     |
       |<----------------------------------------------->|
       |                                                 |
       | 2. Voucher Request                              |
       |------------------------------------------------>|
       |                                                 |
       | 3. Voucher Response {service:fqdn}              |
       |<------------------------------------------------|
       |                                                 |
       | 4. EST enroll                                   |
       |------------------------------------------------>|
       |                                                 |
       | 5. Certificate                                  |
       |<------------------------------------------------|
       |                                                 |
       | 6. Full TLS          |                          |
       |<-------------------->|                          |
       |                      |                          |
       | 7. Service Access    |                          |
       |--------------------->|                          |

Note that this all activity occurs with the Cloud RA.
In the case where the customer has a Registrar in a multi-tenant cloud
service, that this is really option 1, because there is a redirect.

This is closest to what current single-vendor verticals (e.g. Azure, Amazon,
etc.) do today for onboarding, in that the customer is never actually
represented.

The certificate might be ACME.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-