Subject: FTP Extension Drafts

From: "Douglas J. Papenthien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:09:24 -0500

Hello-

As one of the authors of Streamlined FTP Command Extensions draft
(draft-peterson-streamlined-ftp-command-extensions), I wanted to take a
moment to express my support for the open meeting on Monday, July 28th to
discuss pending work on the FTP protocol.  Obviously, I have a personal
interest in seeing this work to completion, however my motivations for doing
so go beyond this.

The FTP protocol may be one of the oldest protocols still in use today, but
my experiences working with the protocol over the past 9 years have shown
that it is far from being dead, irrelevant, or unimportant.  If anything,
I've seen competition for market share of FTP protocol implementations
greatly increase in that time frame.  If you believe that competition is at
all any indication of the importance of this work, then I can assure you
that it is there.  I believe that a concerted effort to consolidate some of
the additions and changes made to the protocol over the years would be
greatly beneficial to the community and welcomed by many who rely upon this
protocol for various purposes.

Unfortunately, I will not be in attendance for the meeting this coming
Monday, which is why I felt the need to express my support for it in this
forum.  However I will make full use of the Jabber room so that I can
participate in whatever capacity necessary.

Douglas J. Papenthien - Vice President
http://www.RhinoSoft.com
Voice: +1(262) 560-9627
FAX: +1(262) 560-9628

_______________________________________________
Apps-Discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss