Subject: draft-klensin-ftp-registry-01

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:31:42 +0200 (MESZ)

Folks,
I'd like to submit a few remarks on draft-klensin-ftp-registry-01.

First of all:  I appreciate this effort.
There indeed are a couple of specifications in the IETF pipeline
essentially awaiting the implementation of such registry, and
the welth of published and upcoming specifications deserves
such repository.

(1)  Registry content

John already has consented that the draft should better
distinguish between FTP _features_ and FTP _commands_.

It needs to be worked out whether the prospective
"FTP Parameters" registry (as I would denote it) should contain

a)
    - a sub-registry of all defined feature names listing the
      defining document(s),
and
    - a sub-registry of *all* commands listing the related
      feature(s) (if any, else <STD>) and the defining document(s).

or
b)
    - a combined, hierarchical registry of feature names and
      related commands (compare the RSVP message objects registry).

Opinions?

(2)  Provisional registrations?

Another 'political' question is related to the practicability
of registrations-on-RFC-publication.
IANA reportedly now has implemented procedures (and recommending
them) to allow 'provisional registrations' under a timeout regime
(to be deleted after a specified interval unless the registration
document [if needed] has been approved for publication),
to further rapid interoperable experimental implementations and
avoid procedural blocks.

Should this registry make use of this possibility?

(3)  Consistency

The text in the newly added section 2.3 does not match the
IANA considerations, which still require "RFC required".
Notwithstanding the '[[anchor8]]' there, it would be useful
to have congruent text in the draft.

(4)  Section 2.4

<< John:  I promise to spend cycles for harvesting RFCs, ASAP. >>

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+