Subject: Peter's Apps Report #2

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:25:29 -0600

Here is my second report as Applications Area AD. This report covers May
7 through June 3, 2010.

1. WORKING GROUP STATUS

ALTO
Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/alto/

A new version of draft-ietf-alto-protocol was published on May 31:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-protocol/

The ALTO WG will hold a virtual interim meeting on June 16, 2010. See
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg00659.html for
details, and send your agenda requests to Enrico Marocco.

CALSIFY
Calendaring and Scheduling Standards Simplification
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/calsify/

The only remaining work item is the iMIP draft, edited by Alexey Melnikov:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-calsify-rfc2447bis/

I completed an AD review of that spec on May 12:

http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2010-May/002245.html

When Alexey returns from his current holidays I'll ping him and chair
Eliot Lear about moving the I-D forward so that we can close down the WG
in the relatively near future.

CORE
Constrained RESTful Environments
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/

An update was made to one of the key I-Ds under consideration:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shelby-core-coap/

On May 8, WG co-chair Carsten Bormann put out a call for accepting that
document as the initial version of a WG item, leading to much discussion:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg00139.html

It's unclear whether there was consensus to accept that document as a WG
item (the disussion quickly widened into more fundamental issues), so
I'll ping the CORE chairs about that soon.

The group has also had active list discussion about TCP vs. UDP,
subscribe/notify methods, and security.

HTTPSTATE
HTTP State Management Mechanism
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpstate/

On May 11, WG chair Jeff Hodges issued a last call for comments within
the WG on draft-ietf-httpstate-cookie:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpstate-cookie/

The WGLC call has led to quite a bit of productive feedback on the list,
so hopefully Adam Barth will be able to incorporate it all into that I-D
in the near future.

IRI
Internationalized Resource Identifiers
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/

Addison Philipps has graciously agreed to replace Ted Hardie as co-chair
(along with Marc Blanchet). I'm expecting faster progress in the near
future, because I know that everyone interested in this work would like
it to proceed with all due speed. :)

OAUTH
Open Authentication Protocol
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/oauth/

The OAuth WG held a productive interim meeting in Mountain View, CA on
May 20 (thanks to Yahoo for hosting). About 40 people attended (by my
count), and we went over the core spec in great detail:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-v2/

In fact we filled a huge whiteboard with spec issues, which the chairs
and document author are sifting through even as we speak. The list has
been busy, as well. Despite a bit of a rocky start, this WG is making
good progress and I'm looking forward to the next few versions of the spec.

VCARDDAV
vCard and CardDAV
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/vcarddav/

More WG last calls, this time issued by co-chair Marc Blanchet on May 18:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01490.html

This WGLC covers both draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev (vCard 4.0) and
draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml (the XML representation of vCard):

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml/

As expected, last call feedback has been pouring in. It's good to see
that folks still care about vCards. :)

Once this work is done, the group will have a conversation about
shutting down or, potentially, recharting.

VWRAP
Virtual World Region Agent Protocol
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/vwrap/

This group does not yet have any official WG items, but co-chair Barry
Leiba has started a conversation about changing that by asking for
feedback about moving startup documents (various individual drafts) into
the working group:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vwrap/current/msg00149.html

Hopefully one or more of the individual drafts will be accepted as
working group documents in the near future so that they can receive
proper treatment (consensus calls and the like) in preparation for
submission to the IESG.

2. WG FORMATION & BOFS

NEWPREP (Stringprep after IDNA2008)

After a successful BoF at IETF 77, the "newprep" WG is close to being
established.  I need to coordinate with Alexey on a few, small issues
before the group is officially formed, but the IESG has approved it.

URNBIS (updates to Uniform Resource Names)

The IESG has approved a BoF at IETF 78 on potential updates to the core
specs for Uniform Resource Names (URNs).  A proposed charter has been
under discussion on the [email-masked] list, and there are several
relevant individual drafts to consider:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ah-rfc2141bis-urn/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn/
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn/

Sign up at https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/urn if you wish to
participate in these conversations.

HASMAT (HTTP Application Security Minus Authentication and Transport)

Two weeks ago at the Internet Identity Workshop and OAuth WG interim
meeting, I got to talking with IAB member Hannes Tschofenig about a
possible BoF on web security. I quickly made arrangements to drive from
Mountain View to Oakland after the OAuth meeting so that I could have
dinner with Thomas Roessler of the W3C, HTTPSTATE chair Jeff Hodges, and
several other interested parties who were at the Web 2.0 Security and
Privacy conference. Hannes, Jeff, Thomas, and I banged out a proposed
charter in the days that followed, and it, too, was approved by the IESG
in the June 3 telechat. The basic focus for the BoF is discussion of
several security topics related to web applications, especially same
origin policy, MIME content sniffing, and an HTTP header for enforcement
of transport security. Additional topics will surely include a clearer
division of responsibilities between the IETF and W3C on this important
problem domain. I'll be actively working with Thomas, W3C liaison Mark
Nottingham, and other relevant individuals leading up to the BoF. For
more details, see the charter and join the mailing list:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hasmat/current/msg00000.html

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hasmat

3. INDIVIDUAL DRAFTS

I'm watching the following documents:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-desruisseaux-ischedule (I still haven't
made time to review this)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-giralt-schac-ns (authors pinged about a
revised I-D)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hammer-hostmeta (lots of discussion on
the [email-masked] list, and several updates to the I-D)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-urn-nena (author pinged about a
revised I-D)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-oiwa-http-mutualauth (slowly providing
a review to the authors)

4. MY DRAFTS

Just today, Jeff Hodges and I posted version -05 of our proposed BCP on
server identities, which we're pushing to finish before IETF 78:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check/

I posted version -08 of draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis on May 7, and XMPP WG
co-chair Ben Campbell issued a WGLC on May 13. The WGLC has been
extended to gather more feedback (the spec is 175 pages long!), but so
far no major issues have cropped up. I'm still hoping this can be
submitted to the IESG over the summer.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-3920bis/

Also in the XMPP WG, I am completing my final "editor's review" of
draft-ietf-xmpp-3921bis ("only" ~100 pages long) and I expect to publish
version -07 in the next week.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-3921bis/

Alexey and I have also been talking about publishing an I-D entitled "X-
Considered Harmful" but I've not made much progress on that one yet.

Finally, Richard Barnes and I plan to write an I-D defining a problem
statement on what we're calling High Assurance Re-Direction ("HARD").
More on that in my next report.

5. IESG ACTIVITIES

The IESG held its annual retreat on May 25-26 at my alma mater (Columbia
University). It was good to get to know my fellow IESG members better,
and to coordinate on a number of AppsArea topics with Alexey. Plus, a
conversation with Gonzalo Camarillo sparked me to get serious about my
personal productivity habits again; as a result, my processing of work
items has already become more efficient.

As usual I filed discusses and comments on a number of I-Ds under review
by the IESG. You can see a complete list of discusses here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/iesg/discusses/

I'm working to clear my discusses faster (since they block forward
progress on an I-D), so if I have any open discusses on a draft of yours
feel free to ping me via email or IM for faster service. Did I mention
that I'm interrupt-driven?

6. UPCOMING EVENTS

The ALTO WG will hold a virtual interim meeting on June 16, 2010. See
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/alto/current/msg00659.html for
details, and send your agenda requests to Enrico Marocco.

Preparation has started in earnest for IETF 78 in Maastricht, The
Netherlands, July 25-30. Visit http://www.ietf.org/meeting/78/ for
complete information. I'll be pinging chairs for the WGs I advise
regarding agendas and such, as well as the now-traditional appsarea lunch.

Thanks for reading, see you next time!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:45:14 -0400

using Peter's excellent report as a segway to ask the apps area to 
review the vcardrev and vcardxml drafts which are in WGLC (well, 
deadline is past, but the new versions of drafts are not yet out, so...

Please review and comment (on vcarddav mailing list please):

Marc, vcarddav co-chair.

-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN news service: http://reeves.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca