Subject: [apps-discuss] Call for feedback: HTML application cache

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:01:43 +0200

Hi,

the HTML5 spec contains a mechanism for offline web applications, see 
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/Overview.html#offline>.

There are concerns that this may be a use case which could better be 
handled using existing HTTP caching mechanisms (potentially + extensions).

Also, Section 5.6.4 
(<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/Overview.html#downloading-or-updating-an-application-cache>) 
states:

"Note: HTTP caching rules, such as Cache-Control: no-store, are ignored 
for the purposes of the application cache download process."

which might be interpreted as a violation of HTTP requirements (see 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.9.1>):

"If the no-cache directive does not specify a field-name, then a cache 
MUST NOT use the response to satisfy a subsequent request without 
successful revalidation with the origin server. This allows an origin 
server to prevent caching even by caches that have been configured to 
return stale responses to client requests."

The HTML WG has an open issue related to this 
(<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/121>), with a CP (Change 
Proposal) due October 30.

Is anybody with *both* HTTP and Web Application background willing to 
review this section and help with a Change Proposal if needed? (We 
probably can negotiate a deadline extension if there's a chance to get 
this right).

Best regards, Julian