Subject: [apps-discuss] Review of draft-ietf-appsawg-text-markdown

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:00:58 -0700

Like others, I think that this document is doing too much.

I believe the following statement to be almost sufficient:
https://imgflip.com/i/ceqvt

The introduction is excessively long, and, as others have noted, too
strongly opinionated.  It merely needs to describe what markdown is
and what identification provides.  It does not need to include a
history lesson (I'm sure that Wikipedia can cover that), or why it
came about, and it especially doesn't need to make disparaging
statement about alternatives.

The flavor parameter is the only parameter that this needs to define.
I do have some concerns with that though

- The convention on title case is odd.  I'd be interested in learning
why that might be a good idea over a much easier to type all lowercase
initial set of entries, without calling out the choice specially.

 - Flavor very much does not need to permit the range of characters
that it currently does.

 - Please remove the '!' rule [RFC 6648]

 - The registration procedures in the "Standard of Review" section
could be a lot simpler.  Say "Expert Review" and then provide short
guidance to the expert.

  I believe that the following would be sufficient guidance: "The
expert is requested to ensure that entries do not duplicate others,
and that a reasonable effort has been made to provide stable
documentation. Entries with names that are confusing or misleading,
such as those that differ from existing entries only in letter case,
can be encouraged to find alternative names."  The current text says
one thing (almost FCFS), but then ends up implying a great deal more
than that.

If you want to avoid people using "md" or "Markdown", then create
initial values for them.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 12:44:36 +0100

+1 to every character in Martin’s message.

Please, let’s not f this up.

On 24 Sep 2014, at 8:00 am, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> apps-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/