Subject: [apps-discuss] Pete not standing again for Apps AD

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 22:08:12 -0500

Folks,

I realized that though I've mentioned this to a few people, it would be 
good to say this publicly:

I have let the NomCom know that I am not going to stand for another term 
as Apps AD. I have very much enjoyed my tenure, and I plan to stay very 
involved in the IETF and take on leadership roles in the future as they 
are available, but right now I need a break. After two terms, I am 
running out of energy and I can see in the distance that I will 
eventually hit a wall. It would be unfortunate for everyone involved if 
I made a commitment for years 5 and 6 and then hit that wall in year 
4.5. So I'll be stepping down at the end of this term.

I also want to use this message to encourage all of you to consider 
throwing your hat in the ring. Being an AD is very rewarding. You can do 
a great deal to improve and influence the direction of the IETF as an 
AD. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, and figuring out how to get to 
rough consensus with the other ADs, let alone with the entire 
organization, is quite the challenge, but I've found it to be 
energizing. And yes, it is quite a bit of work. However, while you can 
certainly make it a near full-time job if you want to, I am convinced 
you can make it a bit-more-than-half-time job pretty straightforwardly, 
and with some effort and planning you could even make it a third-time 
job (with occasional bursts of activity).

I am happy to chat with anyone who has questions about the position.

Cheers,

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478