Subject: [apps-review] Apps Area considerations

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:29:13 -0700

Hello,

In June 2010, there was a discussion about the web page at 
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/TypicalAppsAreaIssues 
There were some comments from several of you.  The document is not 
meant to be a review guide.  I'll list the sections and the feedback:

- ABNF and BNF

   There wasn't any comment.

- Base64

   There wasn't any comment.

- Byte Order

   There wasn't any comment.

-  Dates and Times

   Martin mentioned http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-timezone-20051013/

- Internationalization

   It was mentioned not to refer to RFC 2777.  There is BCP 47 about 
language tags.

- IDNs

   This comes up every now and then.

- Passwords

   The Precis work is not mentioned.

- Media Types

  I don't recall any discussion about that.

- Security

   Are people OK with RFC 6125?

- Versioning

  This is usually an issue.

- XML

   There wasn't any comment.

I understand that there aren't any easy answers to some of the 
above.  However, if we cannot provide pointers to authors, it makes 
their work more difficult.  Is there any interest in cleaning up that web page?

Best regards,
-sm

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:39:44 -0700

>    There wasn't any comment.

I've modified the entry for this to be a bit more careful and accurate, since 
RFC 822 refers to its form of BNF as 'augmented'...

However the focus of this entry is to highlight the need to have specs be 
careful to cite the form of BNF being used and I certainly agree with that.

However it's a bit ironic that the BNF-checking tool that is cited does not 
declare what version /it/ checks against...

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Joe Hildebrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:55:37 -0600

I added a section on status/error codes, and added a note to base64 about
line feeds.

The XML section needs a lot more.  I'll see if I can add some stuff that
other people will disagree with to start the discussion.

On 9/27/11 9:29 AM, "SM" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> apps-review mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-review

-- 
Joe Hildebrand