Subject: Re: [arcmedia] [apps-discuss] Proposed charter for arcmedia

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 11:24:16 -0800

On 1/3/2015 11:17 AM, John Levine wrote:
>> Here's a diff, and the changed text.
>> (Not sure if it will be accepted by the IETF mailing list...guess we're
>> about to find out)
> I'm with Murray.  It seems harmless but pointless.  One the things a WG
> will have to do is to figure out what counts as an archive data format.
> If you want us to consider ISO 9660, I want us to consider ANSI INCITS 27.

If it's used in regular commerce on the Internet, I don't have a problem 
with ANSI INCITS 27.

But I think your suggestion is a bit tongue-in-cheeck. .iso files are 
*everywhere* on the Internet, and can contain payloads that seriously 
affect the security of Internet-connected systems. I believe there is a 
certain popular website out there just dedicated to "hunting" for them. 
And to-date it still doesn't have a media type.

A few e-mails back, it was stated that "No other work is in scope for 
this working group" [except what's in the charter]. So the natural 
evolution is to be sure that the charter includes everything that should 
be in-scope.

Sean

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 14:54:12 -0800

Why does creating a new top level type also have to include everything that
will be in it?

That paragraph just gives examples so the unfamiliar reader will know what
space we're talking about. I don't understand the purpose of enumerating
all of the arguably popular instances of archive formats.

-MSK
On Jan 3, 2015 11:25 AM, "Sean Leonard" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> certain popular website out there just dedicated to "hunting" for them. And
> to-date it still doesn't have a media type.
>
> A few e-mails back, it was stated that "No other work is in scope for this
> working group" [except what's in the charter]. So the natural evolution is
> to be sure that the charter includes everything that should be in-scope.
>
> Sean
>
> _______________________________________________
> arcmedia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/arcmedia
>