Subject: [arcmedia] Legacy formats

From: Tim Scheuermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 01:43:05 +0200

Hi all,

I read through the draft and wondered if Appendix A should include such 
old formats like .a (.ar), or should it be limited to the most commonly 
used formats?

- Tim

---

From: Matthew Kerwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 10:43:25 +1000

Hi Tim,

> - Tim

My personal feeling is that we (the community, not just the WG) pursue a
select few, both as seeds and to demonstrate and expoore the utility of the
type.

To that end:

* .tar, .iso, .7z -- not currently registered (that I can see), but common
enough in the wild
* .tar.gz / .tgz -- because it's an interesting case
* .zip or gzip -- already registered under 'application', so we can explore
issues with duplicating/moving

That said, I wouldn't discourage someone from registering .a, even if just
historically.

If we get some solid work done in parallel on creating drafts of these
sorts of registrations, Appendix A doesn't necessarily need to stay in the
draft.

Cheers