Subject: [arcmedia] input on fragment identifiers

From: Heather Flanagan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 16:15:24 -0700

Hello all,

I was going through the draft and noted the TODO in "7. Fragment
Identifier Syntax." Not sure if the following discussion regarding
functional requirements for fragment identifiers and some use cases
would be useful to help feed this section?

https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Task_Forces/identifiers

- -Heather

---

From: Matthew Kerwin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:55:08 +1000

Hi Heather,

> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Task_Forces/identifiers

Thanks for the pointer. I haven't had a chance to do a thorough read
yet, but after a couple of scans it seems to encompass a lot of work
I'm happy to see done. (Not least so we don't have to do it.)

I'm still not sure what approach we'll take here*, but I think
whichever way we go this is a really good head-start.

Cheers

* Personally I'm leaning towards a mention that fragment identifiers
can be used this way, pointers to things like this W3C work, and
leaving it up to (or forcing?) the individual registrations to specify
their own solutions.

-- 
  Matthew Kerwin
  http://matthew.kerwin.net.au/

---

From: Heather Flanagan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 06:40:29 -0700

On 6/4/15 5:55 AM, Matthew Kerwin wrote:
>> Identifier Syntax." Not sure if the following discussion
>> regarding functional requirements for fragment identifiers and
>> some use cases would be useful to help feed this section?
>> 
> Thanks for the pointer. I haven't had a chance to do a thorough
> read yet, but after a couple of scans it seems to encompass a lot
> of work I'm happy to see done. (Not least so we don't have to do
> it.)
> 
> * Personally I'm leaning towards a mention that fragment
> identifiers can be used this way, pointers to things like this W3C
> work, and leaving it up to (or forcing?) the individual
> registrations to specify their own solutions.
> 

Because the world can't be too easy, the Digital Publishing Interest
Group (source of that page) is coming to the realization that a lot of
what they want is the same as what the W3C's Annotations WG. The
Annotations WG can come up with formal W3C Recommendations where the
DPUB group cannot.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#fragment-uris

- -Heather