Subject: [armd] FW: Manual Post Requested for draft-shah-armd-arp-reduction-01

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:47:47 -0500

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Shah, Himanshu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:19 PM
To: Anoop Ghanwani; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; T Sridhar
Subject: FW: Manual Post Requested for draft-shah-armd-arp-reduction-01

Here is another update..
thanks to Anoop, he practically re-wrote it!!
Same content, we removed the ARP server text though..

/himanshu 

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 4:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Shah, Himanshu; [email-masked]
Subject: Manual Post Requested for draft-shah-armd-arp-reduction 

Manual Posting Requested for following Internet-Draft:

I-D Submission Tool URL:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/status.cgi?submission_id=27993

Filename:	   draft-shah-armd-arp-reduction
Version:	   01
Staging URL:
http://www.ietf.org/staging/draft-shah-armd-arp-reduction-01.txt
Title:		   ARP Broadcast Reduction for Large Data Centers
Creation_date:	   2010-10-25
WG ID:		   Individual Submission
Number_of_pages: 10
Abstract:
With the emergence server virtualization technologies, a host is 
able to support multiple Virtual Machines (VMs) in a single physical 
machine. Data centers can leverage these capabilities to instantiate 
on the order of 10s to 100s of VMs in a server. Each VM operates as 
an independent IP host with a set of Virtual Network Interface Cards 
(vNICs), each having its own MAC address and mapping to a physical 
Ethernet interface. These physical servers are typically installed 
in a rack with their Ethernet interfaces connected to a top-of-rack 
(ToR) switch. The ToR switches are interconnected through End-of-
the-Row (EoR) or aggregation switches which are in turn connected to 
core switches.  
 
As discussed in [ARP-Problem] the host VMs use ARP broadcasts to 
find other host VMs and use periodic (broadcast) Gratuitous ARPs to 
refresh their IP to MAC address binding in other VM hosts. Such 
broadcasts in a large data center with potentially thousands of VM 
hosts in a Layer 2 based topology can overwhelm the network. 
 
This memo proposes mechanisms to reduce the number of broadcasts 
that are sent throughout the network. This is done by having the ToR 
switches intelligently process ARP packets, rather than simply 
broadcasting them throughout the broadcast domain.  
 
While this document specifically addresses ARP, the Neighbor 
Discovery mechanisms used by IPv6 hosts that make use of multicast 
rather than broadcast also pose similar issues for the data center. 
The solutions defined herein should be equally applicable to hosts 
running IPv6.  The details will be specified in a subsequent 
revision. 

Submitter: Himanshu Shah ([email-masked])

Author(s):
Himanshu shah, [email-masked]
Anoop Ghanwani, [email-masked]

Comment:
submission tool could not read authors name and number of pages, hence
submitting it manually.