Subject: [art] ABNF drafts

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 20:58:45 +0900

Hello apps-discuss (and ART):

The DISPATCH chairs asked me to post here.

My co-authors (Paul Kyzivat and Chris Newman) and I have created a few drafts to improve upon ABNF for IETF use. These are:

draft-seantek-abnf-more-core-rules-07
  Comprehensive Core Rules and References for ABNF
  ***
  This document extends the base definition of ABNF (Augmented Backus-
  Naur Form) to include a reference syntax, along with core rules that
  provide comprehensive support for certain symbols related to ASCII.

draft-seantek-constrained-abnf
  Constrained ABNF
  ***
  This document extends the base definition of ABNF (Augmented Backus-
  Naur Form) to express a rule that is constrained by another rule. If
  a rule B is constrained by rule A, then every production generated by
  rule B must also be generated by rule A. By creating subordinate
  production forms, ABNF-using specifications can formally denote the
  relationship between a general rule and specific subsets of that
  rule, while preserving ABNF's context-free nature.

draft-seantek-unicode-in-abnf-02
  Unicode in ABNF
  ***
  This experimental document adds support for Unicode strings in ABNF
  (Augmented Backus-Naur Form), and provides certain symbols related to
  Unicode code point ranges.

These drafts are being discussed on abnf-discuss@, but since that is a fairly light mailing list, I would ask other participants to take a look and provide any feedback on these items. They are not ready for DISPATCHing yet, but we would like to keep them moving.

Regards,

Sean