Subject: [art] STD 85, RFC 8098 on Message Disposition Notification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:18:22 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 85        
        RFC 8098

        Title:      Message Disposition Notification 
        Author:     T. Hansen, Ed.,
                    A. Melnikov, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      37
        Characters: 80493
        Obsoletes:  RFC 3798
        Updates:    RFC 2046, RFC 3461
        See Also:   STD 85

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-appsawg-mdn-3798bis-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8098

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8098

This memo defines a MIME content type that may be used by a Mail User
Agent (MUA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition of a
message after it has been successfully delivered to a recipient.
This content type is intended to be machine processable.  Additional
message header fields are also defined to permit Message Disposition
Notifications (MDNs) to be requested by the sender of a message.  The
purpose is to extend Internet Mail to support functionality often
found in other messaging systems, such as X.400 and the proprietary
"LAN-based" systems, and are often referred to as "read receipts,"
"acknowledgements," or "receipt notifications."  The intention is to
do this while respecting privacy concerns, which have often been
expressed when such functions have been discussed in the past.

Because many messages are sent between the Internet and other
messaging systems (such as X.400 or the proprietary "LAN-based"
systems), the MDN protocol is designed to be useful in a
multiprotocol messaging environment.  To this end, the protocol
described in this memo provides for the carriage of "foreign"
addresses, in addition to those normally used in Internet Mail.
Additional attributes may also be defined to support "tunneling" of
foreign notifications through Internet Mail.

This document is an Internet Standard.  It obsoletes RFC 3798 and
updates RFC 2046 (message/partial media type handling) and RFC 3461
(Original-Recipient header field generation requirement).

This document is a product of the ART Area General Application Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now an Internet Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC