Subject: Re: [Asrg] Choicelist

From: Jamie Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:54:08 -0500

On Wed, 28 May 2003, John Fenley wrote:

> I have writen a paper outlining the functioning of a system to help stop 
> spam.

This is not a technical paper. It reads like an ad for a product which
seems not to exist. 

"The ChoiceList system does not have a revenue model. [...] national do
not call registry.". 

I would assert that a decent system doesn't need one; a decent world
would be one in which I pay you to accept my traffic, and you do what
you will with that. It certainly does not need a government body to run
it.

When you run for congress, bring your paper up - I'm sure it will be a
hit.
 
> It supplys:
> A PKI for authentication

Thank you, drive through.

> sender side whitelist updating

Not a bad idea.

> instant opt-out for the receiver

| spamassassin -rw 

Make a button as you see fit for your mailer. But am I suddenly a
criminal if I send mail in some other way? This is a real thing - I've
built several mass emailers for direct opt-in only (yes, I'm pretty 
sure of that, even though I don't work for them anymore) lists. 
What exactly is going to be the syntax for the "instant opt-out"?

> + much more

Yeah? Not trying to be a troll here. Do you have a spec?

> It requires:
> almost nothing from users

OK, that's good. Can you explain what it requires from server operators?
Sometimes, they are the same.

> www.choicelist.com/Choicelist.PDF

Looks like you're running for office, or something.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight; I just don't like these
vague do-what-I-say proposals, especially when they won't solve
the problem. Reasons why they won't fix the problem are left to the
reader.

-j

-- 
Jamie Lawrence                                        [email-masked]
Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error
code "418 I'm a teapot". The resulting entity body MAY be short and
stout.
   - RFC 2324

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg