Subject: [Asrg] Suggested reply?

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:06:43 -0500

Boy, what I REALLY need is an RMX system so that this guy doesn't black-list
me.

 I also thought this might be fun- any suggested replies?

-Damon 

> From: 	Security & Abuse Department[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Tuesday, May 13, 2003 1:20:53 PM
> To: 	postmaster@; hostmaster@; 
> Subject: 	WE HAVE JUST BLACKLISTED xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24 BECUASE YOUR BRAIN
DEAD MAIL SERVER APPARENTLY SENDS AUTO RESPONSES TO SPOOFED ADDRESSES IN
SPAM. WE HAVE SENT NO E-MAIL WARRANTING THIS AUTO-ACK!
> Auto forwarded by a Rule
We received an auto-response(s) from your mail server spam scanner. It's
claiming we are sending out spam. It would seem that your system is the
victim of Joe Jobs. Spammers, unlike other e-mail senders SPOOF the From:
and Reply-To: headers with addresses from the victims they wish to attack.
Rest assured WE ARE NOT SENDING OUT SPAM!

We do have to chastise you for using a broken mail server that sends these
"auto-replys". Having a mail server send such replies is brain dead because
it can easily be used to send trash to someone who had nothing to do with
it.

NOTICE: WE HAVE FIREWALLED THE C-BLOCK THAT THIS MAIL SERVER RESIDES IN TILL
WE RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM YOU STATING THAT THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN
RESOLVED!!!

Security & Abuse Department
pnwx.com

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:29:03 -0400

Damon Sauer wrote:
>any suggested replies?
	You can't reply... If the email is correct, your mailserver has
been firewalled by these folk and so your reply can't be delivered...
	Was there ever a better case against blacklisting?

		bob wyman

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Sauer, Damon
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 4:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Asrg] Suggested reply?

Boy, what I REALLY need is an RMX system so that this guy doesn't
black-list me.

-Damon 

We received an auto-response(s) from your mail server spam scanner. It's
claiming we are sending out spam. It would seem that your system is the
victim of Joe Jobs. Spammers, unlike other e-mail senders SPOOF the
From: and Reply-To: headers with addresses from the victims they wish to
attack. Rest assured WE ARE NOT SENDING OUT SPAM!

We do have to chastise you for using a broken mail server that sends
these "auto-replys". Having a mail server send such replies is brain
dead because it can easily be used to send trash to someone who had
nothing to do with it.

NOTICE: WE HAVE FIREWALLED THE C-BLOCK THAT THIS MAIL SERVER RESIDES IN
TILL WE RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM YOU STATING THAT THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN
RESOLVED!!!

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary,
and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from all computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:41:32 -0400

We should take this into account - when blacklisting someone, provide an 
email address for the admin where the blacklisted party can communicate 
with the owner of the system.