Subject: RE: [Asrg] News Article - CONFESSIONS OF A FORMER SPAMMER etc.

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 17:03:20 -0700

> I agree 100%, and would add that the telling parts are where he keeps
> saying how he avoided this or that behavior because that would be
> illegal.
> 
> Yeah, right.

The guy was only making $1,000 a week sending out 18 million emails.
That is $7.60 for every MILLION messages he sends. His email servers
don't even make the minimum wage.

So maybe he was telling the truth and the fact is that small fry like
him make no real money unless they break the law. I suspect that the 
tales of spam senders making $10,000 a week are bogus.

Now look at it from the other side, how much does a million spams cost?
I don't think the $1 a message claim is credible but I would doubt the 
figure is less than a cent. That would mean $10,000 in costs to society
for him to make $7.60.

This is a marginal business that can be pushed under with a small scale
change in the economics. That does not have to be sender pays. Even small
scale enforcement of anti-spam laws would push a lot of the small fry
under.

		Phill

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:01:32 -0400

Anyone have any data on the audit-side of spam-ad delivery?

Is there one?

Anyone already done the work to tabulate the dial-up, xdsl, and DS0 volumes?

Anyone have bandwidth-independent source rates for the following?
	o commodity luser boxen (captured wintel),
	o commodity posix boxen (paid non-wintel).

Intro or background stuff (problem statement) for a portion of some eventual
I-D.

TiA,
Eric

---

From: "Eric Dean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:55:11 -0400

An average spam message is 5KB  (high estimate)

That's 40kb

You can host a server for about $100/Mbps/month

There are roughly 2.6M seconds in a month

Therefore you can send about 25 spams/second within a 1Mbps pipe...thus
producing 60+million spams for a $100

Cost is < $0.000002/spam

---

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:57:01 -0400

Someone should send their doubts about this guy's income claims to the
IRS snitch line, including his article indicating the discrepancy
between what he says he made and what his (ahem) colleagues made.

The whole article seems to be woven together lies.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg