Subject: Re: [Asrg] Need to know

From: Scott Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 23:27:15 -0700

At 12:24 AM 5/25/03 -0400, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
>At 12:58 PM 5/24/2003 -0700, Scott Nelson wrote:
>
>>Something Jon Kyme said brought a question to my mind; "How much
>>would spam be reduced by limiting the number of recipients to one?"
>>also a related question "What are the effects of limiting the number
>>of recipients to one for non spam email?"
>>I don't think anyone really knows,
>>though doubtless many here could posit very good theories.
>>
>>This begs the question,
>>"What would we need to know, in order to answer those questions?"
>
>Why would limiting number of recipients make a difference? With today's 
>computers and Internet connections cheap, additional SMTP sessions will be 
>initiated just increasing Internet traffic.
>

That's an interesting theory you've posited.
How, I wonder, could we prove it?

Scott Nelson <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Markus Stumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 01:24:02 +0200

> How, I wonder, could we prove it?

qmail only does one recipient delivery.
Statistics show (haven't an URL ready, sorry) that the overall "overhead"
against multi-recipient systems is nearly unmeasurable. Of course there ARE
situations, were it is a big gain to use multi-recipient strategy.

Most of the time recipient sorting on the sender site is rather CPU and
DNS expensive so in the same time some mailservers spend sorting
other actually finish the deliveries.

	\Maex

-- 
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
"The security, stability and reliability of a computer system is reciprocally
 proportional to the amount of vacuity between the ears of the admin"
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg