Subject: Fwd: Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 18:19:49 -0400

>From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
>
>[...] A registry that re-launches with a thousand-dollar
>price point (100/year, refundable for insert-circumstances), is unlikely to
>be a haven for spam, assuming they actually collect before provisioning is
>converted to publication. [...]

That means that in theory if the registration price for a domain is high 
enough and the number of spam messages sent through the domain is low 
enough, that will cut down on the overall spam problem. Additionally, if 
the registrars actually verify the WHOIS data before activating the domain 
that might help somewhat. On the other hand, fake corporate fronts, lawyers 
and all kinds of "real world" spoofing techniques will come into play. But 
they do not concern us here.

Some mentioned earlier that it would be impossible to require registrars to 
verify international contact information. The least they can do is send a 
physical letter with some random token, a fax with the same, a email with a 
token and a real life phone call. These four steps can verify physical 
address, physical phone #, physical fax # and email address. Unless the 
registrant lives in some place where the mail or phone systems don't work, 
this will do fine (its unlikely, if they have Internet, they have those 
other things too). However, like I mentioned in an earlier reply, the 
overall problem is that of network users using network resources.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 18:52:40 -0400

> overall problem is that of network users using network resources.

You have $3. Use it wisely. Your shareholders want positive, not negative,
pennies on each transaction. 

There is a reason why we (registrar hat on) just rejected this proposal
in some other venue. No one could afford the staff to lick the stamps,
assuming that one could afford the stamps.

Postal bounce is real, and you are one billing cycle, and one postal
keep-alive cycle, behind the event. On the order of 30 to 60 days.

Eric