Subject: [Asrg] Spam spoofing - data point

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 16:20:46 -0400

This would seem to lend some credence to Vernon's assertion that many 
of those messages "From" hotmail.com may in fact be from real 
accounts:

>Microsoft said it is seeing progress in attacking Hotmail account 
>hijacking, as a program aimed at hindering spammers from using the 
>service to ply their trade proves its worth. The company said it has 
>seen a 20 percent drop in new account registrations since it 
>inaugurated its human interactive proof (HIP) program in December.
>
>HIP aims to stop bots from creating accounts by requiring applicants 
>to complete steps that are difficult for a machine to accomplish. 
>Microsoft said the drop-off in sign-ups shows that fewer spammers 
>are securing accounts.
http://news.com.com/2100-1025_3-1000417.html

Of course without knowing what their new account registration number 
is, it's hard to know how big that really is.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg