Subject: [Asrg] How many legitimate SMTP servers?

From: "Ken Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 17:32:14 -0400

Does anybody have an idea of how many legitimate SMTP servers there are?
That is SMTP servers that are not used primarily for spam, have a static IP
address, and have been active in the last, say, 12 months.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 09:52:37 +0100

> address, and have been active in the last, say, 12 months.

Tough question. I've no idea how you'd go about estimating this except by
getting
data from a *huge* number of recipients (receiving systems). You could
guess 20 million,
( see
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg03504.htm
l
)
and no-one would be able to call you a liar.
However, I'd guess that the number of servers that meet your strict
definition would be substantially lower than this. I'm not sure why having
a dynamic IP address makes a server illegitimate - I scent an agenda :-)

--

---

From: "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 12:13:41 -0400

> address, and have been active in the last, say, 12 months.

  A number I heard from one spam filtering services was that they had
roughly 250K IP's maching those criteria.

  That's small enough to set up a DNS whitelist, doing the opposite of
what RBL's do.

  Alan DeKok.