Subject: RE: [Asrg] TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking SMTP hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 21:42:47 -0400

At 08:16 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, Eric Dean wrote:

> > Look at TitanKey as another type of C/R system that issues challenges at
> > the SMTP level. That's essentially what it is. As for pros and
> > cons of C/R
> > systems, that has been debated before many times. C/R systems exist and
> > will increase, we are just making sense out of chaos here. Perhaps Eric
> > Dean can add the STMP-reject method to his C/R draft.
>
>Just a point of clarification..I'm looking at C/R interworking..a method for
>automation and loop prevention...not at specifying how to build a C/R
>system.  With respect to this particular response code method...I'm not sure
>what should be done for interworking systems with that feature.

What I meant is something that I mentioned in a prior post - ability for 
C/R systems to interoperate at the SMTP level not just mail messages level. 
This would save a lot of bandwidth and storage space.

Yakov  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Eric Dean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 23:43:09 -0400

Let's look at this:

a) I am a sender with a CRI system and send a message to a recipient with a
CRI system.  My CRI system remembers I sent a message to a particular
recipient.
b) The recipient receives my message and holds it.  The recipient sends me a
challange message with CRI headers.
c) My system responds to the challenge message using CRI headers.
d) The message is released and sent to the recipient.

I'm not sure how SMTP headers would benefit us over RFC822 X- headers.  The
message still has to be temporarily stored by the C/R system.  In addition,
we do not find that our C/R system cache gets overly large.  We drop a lot
of spam just by having the challenge bounce.