Subject: RE: [Asrg] C/R Framework

From: "Eric D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 09:30:13 -0400

On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 10:24 PM, Eric Dean [SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
8<...>8
>  << File: CR_System.txt >>

Introduction
"Challenge Response systems intend to authenticate a sender's identity and 
determine if a sender originated a message to a particular recipient."

Suggested change:

Challenge Response systems intend to validate message origination for a 
designated recipient.

Rationale:

C/R systems may not be required to authenticate identity (perhaps they should 
not, that does not matter) however the basis intent is to validate using some 
mechanism (automated or manual) a messages originator, where origination may be 
a human or machine actor.  Additionally, the use of 'particular' connotes for 
me that any 'addressed' recipient may be the subject of 'determination'.  IMHO, 
the more appropriate term would be designated recipient as that for me connotes 
an association between the originator and the recipient.

On a slightly different point, in my terms a sender and originator are 
functionally equivalent but since your paper also addresses possible machine 
actors I use the term originator as a semantic abstraction.

<insert>
Message Originator

 An actor, human or machine, that causes the insertion of an
 original or revised message into the message transfer system.

Sender

 The nomenclature used to designate a message originator or a
 process acting as a origination point for a message in the MTS.
 Sender is also a message header.
</insert>

-e

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Eric Dean" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:04:42 -0400

> Challenge Response systems intend to validate message origination for a

Yes, the by-product of post-midnight, caffeinated stupors is that sentences
make sense that in fact don't.

> an association between the originator and the recipient.

agreed

>  Sender is also a message header.

Would also be a good insertion into our taxonomy.