Subject: [Asrg] This mail list has been hacked

From: "Jed Margolin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:28:35 -0700

Well, it's finally happened.

I have received my first spam sent to the email account I sent up just for
this list.

It's from  "Dr Kamal Oseni" <[email-masked]>.

Did anyone else get it?

It looks bad if the world's Internet experts can't even keep their own
mailing list
from getting hacked (harvested?) by spammers.

JM

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Karl Kraft <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:29:09 -0500

All hail the mystical mighty hacker who knows how to visit a web page.   
It was most likely leaked, not hacked

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/ 
msg04960.html

Or perhaps he got it from this one:

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/ 
msg00881.html

Three can keep a secret if two are dead.

---

From: "C. Wegrzyn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:13:59 -0400

Yes, I got it about a day ago...

Chuck Wegrzyn

---

From: Terri Oda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:34:59 -0400

> https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/ 

Might I suggest an upgrade of the list software to Mailman  2.1, if only for
the better archive-munging?  

 Terri

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:13:20 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Terri Oda <[email-masked]>

> the better archive-munging?  

I oppose that motion on the grounds that anyone who cannot arrange
sufficient filtering on any address exposed though mechanisms such as
through the archives of this list is not qualified to contribute to
this mailing list.

I've been using [email-masked] for more than 10 years, and currently
receive about half a dozen spam/week.  My mailbox has been filled with
far more certified clue-free noise about spam from the main IETF today
than I've received spam all month.

Besides, experiments reported in NANAE have demonstrated that spammers
have code that is smart enough to "de-munge" any systemic "munging"
that users are able to figure out.  It's not as if any rocket science
is required to write a Perl, awk, or other regular expression.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:46:19 -0400

>the better archive-munging?

The list is also being archived in other public locations, so that 
isn't going to help much.

Onless you are using disposable addresses, I don't see much point in 
list address munging.  I have addresses that have been exposed once, 
and others (like this one) that have been exposed in thousands of 
locations.  After a couple years the spam is pretty much the same.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Ken Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 20:55:31 -0400

> the better archive-munging?

It's simple to activate spam-protection in MHonArc, you just put <SPAMMODE>
in the resource file.  You can customize it various ways, including with a
custom <ADDRESSMODIFYCODE> expression.

http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/resources/spammode.html
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Jed Margolin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:48:02 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vernon Schryver" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] This mail list has been hacked

> through the archives of this list is not qualified to contribute to
.
.
.

The Internet has become too important to be left in the hands of experts
like Mr. Schryver.

Jed Margolin