Subject: Re: [Asrg] email pull (was RE: Authentication )

From: Steve Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 17:15:23 -0700

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:57:24PM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:16:33PM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > If you could 
> > get legit bulk mailers (newsletters) to switch to pull,
> 
> They won't.
> There already is a "pull" method, it's called HTTP and it doesn't work.
> Think about a weekly newsletter. You surf the Web, find it interesting
> and subscribe. You get it delivered each week straight to you mailbox.
> Would you use the "pull" method and visit the website every week, just
> to pull? Would you come back, if there is one issue that isn't too
> interesting?
> Nearly every company I know of has their product infos ready for "pull".
> But they use push mailinglists to contact their customers and refresh
> their memory and deliver information just in time and when it's
> relevant.
> They won't want to loose that instrument.

A number of mailers have already expressed an interest in using a pull
approach (for a number of good reasons, working around broken spam filters
being one of them).

http://word-to-the-wise.com/message_distribution/ is the RSSy draft that
came out of the conversation.

Cheers,
  Steve
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg