Subject: Re: [Asrg] WHOIS and registrars

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 23:25:24 -0400

>From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
>
> > >Also, if the ICANN rule about having correct WHOIS information would
> > >actually be enforced with some kind of fines or penalties, wouldn't
> > >that force the registrars to have better ID procedures on who
> > >actually registers domain names thus reducing the overall number of
> > >junk domains? This is part of the overall
>
>Don't expect registrars to seek to absorb someone else's cost of business.

Even if the validity of WHOIS data should not be enforced and is 
impractical to do so because of additional cost, would you agree that it is 
still valuable to provide the registrars with the ability to be able to 
cancel or seize a domain because of false contact data? If the domain name 
is revoked quickly enough because of spamming, then the overall profit that 
the spammer derives is reduced since there is no where for spam receivers 
to click and no place for the spammer to collect money. However, I am 
slightly hesitant of giving the registrars such power since it can be abused.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 07:49:14 -0400

> Even if ...  would you agree that it is 
> cancel or seize a domain because of false contact data? 

Its a pretext. There are several. In this context "rational" is bunk. Even
thinking about a domain costs more than the margin that domain yeilds in a
year.