Subject: Re: [Asrg] (Position): Successful anti-spam techniques must avoid software patents

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:48:30 -0700

Peter Kay writes:

> Is this discussion of IPR policy within the scope of this list's
> discussion?
> 
> I look at : 
> 
> http://www.irtf.org/asrg/
> 
> And read the posting guidelines which say all conversation must be
> related to the work items at
> 
> http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg-work-items.txt
> 
> and there's nothing there about IPR. Perhaps IPR is a bigger issue to be
> taken at higher levels.

Given that the IRTF does not have a formulated IPR policy, and that IPR
issues are potentially of significant concern to this RG due to the
participation of a number of folks from the commercial world, I don't have
a problem with productive discussion of IPR issues on the mailng list in
this context.

> As one who has patent-pending on an anti-spam technology, I've got a lot
> to say but won't if its inappropriate for this list.

If you are not willing to disclose where this potential IPR resides, then
Yes, I think it would be inappropriate to participate in discussions that
relate to it.  If you're willing to disclose its existence, then I think
participating is okay.

		Vern
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 06:58:35 -0500

Dear Vern,

Given that we're roughing out a (WG-sized) IPR policy, my suggestion
would be that "if you're willing to disclose IPR using the current draft
template from the IETF IPR working group, then participating
in discussions is OK".

Just to push the envelope a little on what "disclose" might look like...

I'm not saying we need to adopt the (proposed) IETF mechanism
in IRTF, only that the current draft of the disclosure template might
help a participant understand what "disclose" looks like.

Spencer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vern Paxson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 1:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] (Position): Successful anti-spam techniques must avoid
software patents