Subject: DNS record types; RE: [Asrg] Problems with RMX

From: "Bob Atkinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:21:35 -0700

> From: Ken Hirsch

> 1. It requires changes to DNS
> 
> The idea behind RMX can be implemented without changes to DNS,
however.
> For example, via MX records, as already mentioned, or via some
specially coded
> A record (see http://www.bondedsender.org/#dns-info).

I agree that using new DNS record types, which requires changes to DNS
clients and servers in order to be useful, would be a significant
barrier to adoption. 

My own preference is to store the new information in TXT record(s) in a
distinguished subdomain. For example, one might use the TXT records in
the '_rmx' subdomain of the domain in question: rather than querying for
the records of type RMX in domain domain.com, one queries for the
records of type TXT in the domain _rmx.domain.com.

A text encoding issue for the information remains, though XML is an
obvious candidate.

A final point is that we should remember that it's probable that as we
flush out an overall spam deterrence story we'll find that we want more
than just the specific RMX info that Hadmut has proposed to be published
in DNS. Anticipating that now is worth at least a few brain cycles.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Michael Rubel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 13:41:01 -0700 (PDT)

> records of type TXT in the domain _rmx.domain.com.

Have you seen Fecyk's proposal?  It's at:

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/ids/draft-fecyk-dsprotocol-02.txt

It's very much along those lines.  There is a link to it at the bottom of 
my RMX records page.

Mike