Subject: [Asrg] the biggest problem is ...

From: Markus Stumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 23:27:05 +0200

... that you all are too kind.

Most rather easy to move to solutions (like DNS based) get argued over with
- but my ISP doesn't manage reverse IP and I want to manage
  my own SMTP server for personal use
- what if a mailserver wannabe has no RMX records

The simple answer is: "so what?"

If I don't have a mailserver that does conform to SMTP I cannot
send/receive eMails. If I don't have A or MX records for my domain
or my mailserver I cannot (send/)receive emails.

Sorry, it may be unfair (life is unfair), but I am 100% sure that
98% of all the mail admins out there running big mailserver don't care
about people from access points like above.
These access points are currently the root of all evil. The 200000 spam
mails today that passed out mailserver did not come from tightly and well
maintained mail servers, but from broken fsckup hosts whose admins
don't even know they are abused.

There is a problem to be solved that costs some billion bucks a year,
harrasses some millions of people each day and has the nature of DoS.
There are some workable/promising solutions mentioned here. If they cut out
people at lousy ISPs that refuse to manage revDNS or people that think
they have to run their own mailserver on a dialup line just to be kewl ...
I don't care.

Define a solution, write up a RFC and set a deadline. Propagate the RFC
to make it well known and on day X cut them out.
If the techies don't get a grip on the problem /fast/ the politicians
and lawyers will and I predict that none of us will like /that/ solution.

	\Maex

-- 
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
"The security, stability and reliability of a computer system is reciprocally
 proportional to the amount of vacuity between the ears of the admin"
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg