Subject: Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 09:27:43 -0500

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine wrote:
> 
> 2. I personally don't think the whois:43 and similar publication 
> systems have
> utility in this space.
  Leaving whois and registrar cost models aside, In your opinion do 
registars at all have any utility regarding the spam problem?
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 11:49:58 -0400

> do registars at all have any utility regarding the spam problem?

The dependency upon the dns infrastructure for a particular spam origination
point, if any (some may not use forward or names, for any portion of the set
of communication links) has some temporal property.

The ability to modify the dns infrastructure by publishers, and by their 
provisioners, has some temporal properites.

As a research inquery, are the response times of these two systems capable
of making one interact (negatively, in case anyone is wondering) with the
other? Is it possible to construct a covert channel between these two
distinct communications realms?

Recall, there is at least one system is between these two (consumers, for
better or worse, and provisioners), the 1034/35 publication system.

Would the question be significantly altered if the registries provisioned
was defined by decimal values, rather than character sequences, ignoring the
syntax rules for each data type?

My answer is "conditionally yes", and the condition(s) to be determined are
the temporal properties of spam dependency upon some properties of the dns,
and the temporal properties of technically feasible response systems to alter
those properties.

An entirely distinct approach is post-event trace, which has limited research
interest, though there may be a need for techniques to reconcile distributed
logs.

Eric

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 12:06:00 -0400

Some proof reading errors:

Para 1
s/some may not use forward or names/some may not use forward or reverse maps/

Para 2
s/publishers, and by//

What publishers do, how they communicate (other than via 1034/35), and how
they learn what to do, if anything, is a box I don't want to open yet.

Thanks for your patience(s),
Eric
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg