Subject: Re: [Asrg] Changing mailing lists from push to pull

From: Art Pollard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:35:10 -0600

At 10:58 PM 4/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>   It should possible to set up a script to make a PC (Windows/Max/Linux)
>poll a POP server once a day or once a week, etc.  Has anyone ever tried
>writing up a script and simply throwing announcements on a central POP
>server.  The subscribers' machine would poll the central POP server as
>required.  This solves the permission problem, because the subscriber is
>doing the pulling.  No changes required to SMTP, for the simple reason
>that SMTP is totally bypassed.

Sounds like NNTP .... ;-)
Well sort of.  Without the message distribution stuff.

Personally, I'd love to see a "references" header become more standard so 
that mail readers could thread messages.  It would also mean that a mail 
reader could "pull" mailing list threads.  Finally, if it could be counted 
on, it would mean that there could be gateways between NNTP/WebBBS/Mailing 
Lists if one so desired as the threading mechanisms would be the same.

I use Eudora which strips these things out unfortunately.

-Art
-- 
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/
Suppliers of High Performance Text Retrieval Engines.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Eric D. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:58:17 -0400

On Thursday, May 01, 2003 12:35 AM, Art Pollard [SMTP:[email-masked]] 
wrote:
8<...>8
> I use Eudora which strips these things out unfortunately.

That is the bugaboo when considering the edge implementation of solutions.  We 
MUST I think consider the implacability of determining all MUA.reciever's 
(MUA.r from D. Crocker's paper) feature-sets and how that affects a proposed 
solution.  In addition, the 'core' v. 'edge' issues should be understood by any 
proposal specifically with respect to where does the 'core' end and the 'edge' 
begin in a proposed framework.  IMHO, this may vary from proposal to proposal.

-e