Subject: Re: 6. Proposals - SMTP Level Unsubscribe (was Re: [Asrg] SMTP level unsubscribe)

From: david nicol <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Sep 2003 18:24:16 -0500

I have heard the suggestion made that a "bounce" button in
addition to the "delete" button in one's MUA might ease things.
The final MTA stores the envelope return address in a way that
the MUA can get it. mbox format typically has the envelope return
path on the first line, but POP3 daemons tend to strip the envelope
off.

Anyway, if the envelope is left on, a user software could define
a "bounce" deportment (a button next to Forward, Delete, File, etc)
which would compose and send a bounce message to the envelope return
path instead of the sender listed in the body headers.

A webmail provider, who has control over both the final MTA and the
user interface, could provide this feature if they wished

It might not be such a hot idea without return address verification
however, as it would only make the problem of bounces to bogus return
addresses worse.

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 13:29, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
> At 01:17 PM 8/7/2003, Scott Nelson wrote:
> >At 11:14 PM 8/6/03 -0600, John Fenley wrote:
> >[edited]
> > >
> >.......
> > >I believe piece by piece unsubscribe should be evaluated as one type of 
> > spam
> > >control method evaluated in the proposed simultaneous and long term
> > >comparison of spam control systems.
> > >
> >There is an urban myth (possibly true) that unsubscribing makes the
> >problem worse.

-- 
David Nicol /  kernel 2.6.0 is pretty whippy

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:45:46 -0400

This would be relevant to the MUA guidelines in the BCP area.

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:34:47 +0100

> path on the first line, but POP3 daemons tend to strip the envelope

I'm not sure that a delivery status notification should be generated after
what is clearly a successful delivery. It makes my brain hurt.

--