Subject: [Asrg] Federal Judge shoots down Do Not Call

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:31:34 -0400

(Sorry, couldn't figure out what category that went under.)

NEWS ALERT
from The Wall Street Journal

Sept. 24, 2003

A judge ruled that the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its 
authority in creating a national, telemarketing do-not-call list. The 
ruling, by a federal court in Oklahoma, came in a lawsuit brought by 
telemarketers who challenged the registry, which comprises people who 
do not want to receive calls. The immediate impact of the ruling 
wasn't clear. The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.

For more information, see:
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB106441898488092700,00.html (password needed)
http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/24/technology/ftc_donotcall/index.htm?cnn=yes

-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/  Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:31:20 -0400

At 2:31 PM -0400 9/24/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:
>authority in creating a national, telemarketing do-not-call list. 
>The ruling, by a federal

In reading the details it appears that there weren't any 
constitutional issues, just a question of the FTC not having the 
authority to enforce it.  That ought to be easy for Congress to 
correct.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/  Writings on Technology and Society

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:33:39 -0400

Thanks for the article, everything that does not fit goes under "0. 
General" category. I changed the subject. Here are some more links:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/09/24/160205.shtml
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20030924/tc_nm/telecom_telemarketing_dc

Kee Hinckley wrote:
> telemarketers who challenged the registry, which comprises people who do 
> not want to receive calls. The immediate impact of the ruling wasn't 
> clear. The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.
>