Subject: [Asrg] 2. Analysis and Characterization. Insight from a bulk mailer neighbor.

From: "John Fenley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:58:14 -0600

I was talking today with my neighbor who sends an unsolicited mailing list.
He has a different outlook on the whole issue of email and I think I 
understand some of his point of view.

Here is some info about his operation that i thought might be interesting.

his adderss list started out with around 2400 addresses collected from 
websites and print publications that appear to belong to people active in 
the subject of the mailings. (hand picked, and extremely low volume compared 
to others who send millions of emails)

has sent out 4 mailings over the last few months. (again, low volume)

he manually removes all bounced addresses, and responds to every remove 
request.
(a bounce is the same as an unsubscribe, except when contact instructions 
are given)

He lost around 400 addresses on his first mailing because of invalid 
addresses.
he loses around 10-20 addresses per mailing due to black lists.

He has received a few C/R messages which he responded to in order to send 
his mailing.

Based on the conversations I have had with him on the subject, he is not a 
"Spammer" but could be described as someone trying to communicate with a 
large number of unknown people. His volume is low enough that he can be 
personaly involved with any problems that crop up with his mailing.

He may join the list to answer questions and present his perspective, or I 
can just forward questions and answers to him.

He is helping me with a Choicelist prototype.

I wonder how many other people send lists like this, and how big a player 
that group is in the scheme of things.

John Fenley
www.Choicelist.com

_________________________________________________________________
Enter for your chance to IM with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige 
using MSN Messenger http://entertainment.msn.com/imastar

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 08:26:32 -0400

At 01:58 AM 9/3/2003, John Fenley wrote:
>...................
>.................

It would definitely useful to obtain some input from him and other similar 
to him.