Subject: [Asrg] 2. Analysis and Characterization. Insight from a bulk mailer neighbor.

From: "Kurt Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:07:50 -0200

"John Fenley" wrote:

>I was talking today with my neighbor who sends an unsolicited mailing list.
>He has a different outlook on the whole issue of email and I think I 
>understand
................
>Based on the conversations I have had with him on the subject, he is not a 
>"Spammer" but could be >described as someone trying to communicate with a 
>large number of unknown people. His volume is >low enough that he can be 
>personaly involved with any problems that crop up with his mailing.
.........
>I wonder how many other people send lists like this, and how big a player 
>that group is in the scheme >of things.

You probably have some thousand like him, but they are likely less 0.5% of 
the total spam volume. Far to many articles/surveys seems to validate 
Spamhaus claim that ca 200+ spammers makes 90% of all spam. Then in between 
is all the guys, like he who tries to sell refilled HP Laser cassettes all 
over the world, a number of people doing their own more intense spamming. 
Question is, how many URL's and phone numbers they use, for that would 
indicate the total number of spammers there is. I still believe that we have 
only around some 30.000 addresses (as commented in earlier postings).

Kurt Magnusson

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg