Subject: Re: [Asrg] Forged Paths...

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:15:39 +0200

Art Pollard <[email-masked]> writes:

> One of the big issues when it comes to spam is tracing where the
> message has originated from.  Of course, this is complicated when
> people forge headers to try to obfuscate the origin of the e-mail.
>
> What I propose is this:
>
> During each jump on the path that the e-mail takes to arrive to the
> sender, each interim mail server digitally signs the path.

This is not sufficient for the identification of the real originator.
The the last mail server operator in the chain may or may not know the
actual originator's identity (i.e. correct postal address of a real
person, or name, mother's maiden name and SSN) .

In addition, fear of being identified rarely seems to stop a spammer,
so your proposal is not very usable on its own.  Other approaches
which require originator can use something which is less heavyweight
and tailored to the specific system.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg