Subject: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Authenticated Mail Transfer Protocol (AMTP)

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:20:22 -0400

Another protocol proposed as a replacement for SMTP has been published 
recently (Internet Draft at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weinman-amtp-00.txt), see website 
(http://amtp.bw.org/) and SlashDot article 
(http://slashdot.org/articles/03/09/01/0253216.shtml).

This protocol called AMTP, not to be confused with "Advanced Mail Transfer 
Protocol" 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-danisch-email-mtp-00.txt), " 
uses TLS (like SSL for web servers) to create a trusted relationship 
between entities operating Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs, i.e., servers and 
clients). AMTP also provides a mechanism to publish concisely-defined 
policies. This allows the parties in the trusted relationship to hold each 
other responsible for operating their servers within the constraints of 
agreed-upon rules. "

The "policy" option of the protocol sounds like the consent framework.

Yakov

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg