Subject: [Asrg] 2a. Analysis - Article - "The Time Machine Spammer"

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 00:12:06 -0400

A while back 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05734.html) 
a question was asked as to what does spam looking for time machine and warp 
generators serves. Responses from the group included:
A. Hoax and graffitti 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05738.html)
B. Mental problems 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05740.html)
C. Advance fee fraud 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05743.html)
D. Email address verification or targeted list for crazies 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg05763.html)
E. A hidden signal for terrorists (off-list)

Now Wired News is running an article about the spammer who sents out these 
type of email addresses. The article can be found at 
(http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,60141,00.html). It seems that 
these messages are being sent out a real-world spammer named Robert Todino 
of PK Marketing, along with the regular spam for free government grants, 
etc. HOWEVER, the correct answer here seems to be B - Mr. Todino really 
believes that he can find time machine technology by spamming people. 
Spamhaus includes the article in their file on him 
(http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/search.lasso?evidencefile=2666).

Yakov

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg