Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Welcome to the ASRG

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:36:07 -0400

Welcome to the mailing list of the Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) of 
the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF). This message is sent out to the 
mailing list at regular intervals in order to remind group members and 
inform newcomers about various aspects of the ASRG. In addition to this 
message, additional messages will be sent on a regular basis providing 
updates on work items and summarizing mailing list discussions.

0. ANNOUNCEMENTS.

o There are still many open items on the research agenda not been taken 
care of. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to take care of things, if you would like to 
help please post to the list or contact the chair off-list.
o All suggestions on how to improve the group are welcome, please email us!

1. INTRODUCTION TO THE ASRG.

The Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) focuses on the problem of unwanted 
email messages, loosely referred to as spam. The purpose of the ASRG is 
to UNDERSTAND the problem and collectively PROPOSE and EVALUATE 
solutions to the problem.The ASRG is part of the IRTF. The IRTF focuses 
on longer term research issues related to the Internet while the 
parallel organization, the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), 
focuses on the shorter term issues of engineering and standards making. 
The operations of the IRTF and its research groups are discussed in 
detail in RFC 2014 (BCP 8).

2. INTERIM INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY POLICY 
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_ipr_policy.htm).

"By submission of a contribution, each person actually submitting the 
contribution is deemed to agree to the following terms and conditions on 
his own behalf, on behalf of the organization (if any) he represents and 
on behalf of the owners of any propriety rights in the contribution.. 
Where a submission identifies contributors in addition to the 
contributor(s) who provide the actual submission, the actual 
submitter(s) represent that each other named contributor was made aware 
of and agreed to accept the same terms and conditions on his own behalf, 
on behalf of any organization he may represent and any known owner of 
any proprietary rights in the contribution.

The contributor represents that he has disclosed the existence of any 
proprietary or intellectual property rights in the contribution that are 
reasonably and personally known to the contributor. The contributor does 
not represent that he personally knows of all potentially pertinent 
proprietary and intellectual property rights owned or claimed by the 
organization he represents (if any) or third parties."

3. MAILING LIST INFORMATION AND POSTING GUIDELINES 
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_mailing_list_information.htm).

If you want to change your mailing list options, please visit the 
mailing list page at (https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg). If 
the volume of messages is too high for you, you can choose to receive a 
daily digest of list messages instead of individual posts.

All conversation on this mailing list must be regarding one of the work 
items outlined in the ASRG Research Agenda document. The subject of each 
email should begin with the number of the appropriate work item. For 
example, "2.a - Spam Measurement Survey Requirements" or "6 - Proposal 
for hash-based traceback system". The list volume makes it difficult to 
follow individual conversations and to filter the noise. This will help 
eliminate both problems. This is a research group. If you have 
constructive feedback, please share it in an appropriate manner. If you 
just feel like saying that "spam can not be stopped" or "this group will 
fail because I said so", then you should state those things elsewhere. 
This mailing list is for discussion towards the goals of the group as 
stated in the charter.

NOTE: The moderator or chair may at their discretion moderate posting 
privileges of participants who ignore these guidelines. If they do so 
they will announce the fact to the list, with an explanation.

4. ASRG RESEARCH AGENDA (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_research_agenda.htm).

The purpose of the ASRG is to understand the problem and collectively 
propose and evaluate solutions to the problem. The Research Agenda lists 
different areas of research that the ASRG is pursuing.

5. ASRG WORK ITEM STATUS (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_work_items.htm).

This lists the current work items showing owner and status. Each item 
also shows the associated item number from the research agenda.

6. MAIN ASRG PLAYERS.

Paul Judge <paul.judge {at} ciphertrust.com> - ASRG Co-Chair
Yakov Shafranovich <research {at} solidmatrix.com> - ASRG Co-Chair

7. IMPORTANT LINKS.

ASRG charter - http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html
Official ASRG website - http://www.irtf.org/asrg
Mailing list options - https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg
Mailing list archive - 
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/maillist.html
Search engine for the archive - http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg

IRTF website - http://www.irtf.org
IETF website - http://www.ietf.org
IAB website - http://www.iab.org
RFC 2014 (BCP 8) - ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2014.txt

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg