Subject: Re: [Asrg] 2. Analysis and characterization work

From: "Terry Sullivan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:48:52 -0500

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:11:02 +0200, Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz 
wrote:

>Sorry if I'm a little out of subject of the thread. 
>I'm somewhat new to the group.

Welcome, Jose.

In this *particular* thread, we're actually not focusing as much on a 
specific anti-spam strategy as we are discussing design requirements 
for any experiment that we might undertake.  The example experiment 
(testing the effects of 550s) is real, but in this context, it's 
being used as a convenient example. 

But it occurs to me that Jose's question poses an interesting 
question of its own.

Given the amount of sheer "setup" effort that's going to go into 
*any* experiment involving trap addresses, I wonder if it would make 
sense to "divorce" the setup effort from any particular experiment.  
That is, I wonder if it makes sense to have a "trap address 
setup/maintenance" effort, whose fruits could then be shared by 
different experiments over time.  (Control group addresses could 
probably be "reused," tho' experimental group addresses would have to 
be retired at the end of an experiment [depending on the experiment, 
I suppose].) 

I guess I'm thinking along the lines of telescope-time in astronomy, 
or accelerator-time in particle physics.  The "equipment" is 
maintained independently of any single experiment, and shared among 
researchers.  The biggest downside I can imagine right off is that 
the "trap address effort" would have to maintain a sufficiently large 
pool to be able to allocate sufficient addresses to each experiment, 
in turn.  The biggest upside is probably obvious: one setup 
procedure, one "ramp-up" period, followed by multiple uses.  (It'd 
suck to have to have each experiment have to thumb-twiddle for 
several weeks during an individual "ramp-up" period.)

(As I say... I'm just wondering aloud.)

- Terry

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 17:48:36 +0100

> researchers.  

I think the question here is the old one: Who's going to pay for this?

--