Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Welcome to the ASRG

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 08:42:32 -0400

Welcome to the mailing list of the Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) of the 
Internet Research Task Force (IRTF). This message is sent out to the 
mailing list at regular intervals in order to remind group members and 
inform newcomers about various aspects of the ASRG. In addition to this 
message, additional messages will be sent on a regular basis providing 
updates on work items and summarizing mailing list discussions.

0. ANNOUNCEMENTS.

o There are still many open items on the research agenda not been taken 
care of. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to take care of things, if you would like to 
help please post to the list or contact the chair off-list.
o All suggestions on how to improve the group are welcome, please email us!

1. INTRODUCTION TO THE ASRG.

The Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) focuses on the problem of unwanted 
email messages, loosely referred to as spam. The purpose of the ASRG is to 
UNDERSTAND the problem and collectively PROPOSE and EVALUATE solutions to 
the problem.The ASRG is part of the IRTF. The IRTF focuses on longer term 
research issues related to the Internet while the parallel organization, 
the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), focuses on the shorter term 
issues of engineering and standards making. The operations of the IRTF and 
its research groups are discussed in detail in RFC 2014 (BCP 8).

2. INTERIM INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY POLICY 
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_ipr_policy.htm).

"By submission of a contribution, each person actually submitting the 
contribution is deemed to agree to the following terms and conditions on 
his own behalf, on behalf of the organization (if any) he represents and on 
behalf of the owners of any propriety rights in the contribution.. Where a 
submission identifies contributors in addition to the contributor(s) who 
provide the actual submission, the actual submitter(s) represent that each 
other named contributor was made aware of and agreed to accept the same 
terms and conditions on his own behalf, on behalf of any organization he 
may represent and any known owner of any proprietary rights in the 
contribution.

The contributor represents that he has disclosed the existence of any 
proprietary or intellectual property rights in the contribution that are 
reasonably and personally known to the contributor. The contributor does 
not represent that he personally knows of all potentially pertinent 
proprietary and intellectual property rights owned or claimed by the 
organization he represents (if any) or third parties."

3. MAILING LIST INFORMATION AND POSTING GUIDELINES 
(http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_mailing_list_information.htm).

If you want to change your mailing list options, please visit the mailing 
list page at 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/maillist.html). 
If the volume of messages is too high for you, you can choose to receive a 
daily digest of list messages instead of individual posts.

All conversation on this mailing list must be regarding one of the work 
items outlined in the ASRG Research Agenda document. The subject of each 
email should begin with the number of the appropriate work item. For 
example, "2.a - Spam Measurement Survey Requirements" or "6 - Proposal for 
hash-based traceback system". The list volume makes it difficult to follow 
individual conversations and to filter the noise. This will help eliminate 
both problems. This is a research group. If you have constructive feedback, 
please share it in an appropriate manner. If you just feel like saying that 
"spam can not be stopped" or "this group will fail because I said so", then 
you should state those things elsewhere. This mailing list is for 
discussion towards the goals of the group as stated in the charter.

NOTE: The moderator or chair may at their discretion moderate posting 
privileges of participants who ignore these guidelines. If they do so they 
will announce the fact to the list, with an explanation.

4. ASRG RESEARCH AGENDA (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_research_agenda.htm).

The purpose of the ASRG is to understand the problem and collectively 
propose and evaluate solutions to the problem. The Research Agenda lists 
different areas of research that the ASRG is pursuing.

5. ASRG WORK ITEM STATUS 
(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg06938.html).

This lists the current work items showing owner and status. Each item also 
shows the associated item number from the research agenda.

6. MAIN ASRG PLAYERS.

Vern Paxson <irtf-chair {at} irtf.org> - IRTF Chair
Paul Judge <paul.judge {at} ciphertrust.com> - ASRG Co-Chair
Yakov Shafranovich <research {at} solidmatrix.com> - ASRG Co-Chair

7. IMPORTANT LINKS.

ASRG charter - http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html
Official ASRG website - http://www.irtf.org/asrg
Mailing list options - 
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/maillist.html
Mailing list archive - 
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/maillist.html
Search engine for the archive - http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg

IRTF website - http://www.irtf.org
IETF website - http://www.ietf.org
IAB website - http://www.iab.org
RFC 2014 (BCP 8) - ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2014.txt 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg