Subject: [[email-masked]: [Asrg] 0. General - Article: AT&T granted patent on a way todefeat spam filtering]

From: Fridrik Skulason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:34:19 +0000

I wonder if the intention is to patent this, so they can sue any spammer
using this method for patent violations.  Might be a smart move, if that 
is the case - patent law is pretty strong.

However, the patent is not quite broad enough for that - it does not 
clearly seem to cover the technique of adding random crap to make
each message slightly different from any other.

-- 
Fridrik Skulason   Frisk Software International   phone: +354-540-7400
Author of F-PROT   E-mail: [email-masked]       fax:   +354-540-7401

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:51:13 -0800

This kind of thing is quite common for copy protection and DRM-related 
technologies.  Macrovision did it for their copy protection devices to 
prevent a legitimate market emerging in Macrovision anti-circumvention 
devices.  It makes sense for a class of technologies.

Mark