Subject: Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals -- Labeling recommendations for the FTC

From: "Kurt Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:10:33 -0300

One question regarding Eric's RFC proposal.

Since RFC's by practice and definitions are international, shouldn't the 
references to the US law be clearly labeled as such? Suggestion:

"The __US__ "CAN-SPAM Act of 2003" [CAN-SPAM]"

"[CAN-SPAM] "An Act to regulate interstate commerce by imposing
           limitations and penalties on the transmission of
           unsolicited commercial electronic mail via the
           Internet".  S.877, passed the __US Congress__ on 21 Nov 2003."

And I believe that the RFC 3098 in one stage of it's existence did include a 
suggestion to label the subject line with "ADV" for "spams".  Must admit 
that I got surprised that it did not when I checked it now, since the idea 
was up for discussion in 2000-2001 (if my mind haven't been zapped by some 
cell phone that is :-).

Regards  Kurt Magnusson

_________________________________________________________________
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:52:48 -0500

>           Internet".  S.877, passed the __US Congress__ on 21 Nov 2003."

It's been done.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>