Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Article: AT&T granted patent on a way todefeat spam filtering

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:31:55 -0500

This comes from Dan Gillmor's column 
(http://weblog.siliconvalley.com/column/dangillmor/archives/001506.shtml) 
via SlashDot (http://slashdot.org/articles/03/11/16/0532225.shtml):

<snip>
Via Greg Aharonian's Internet Patent News Service comes the news that 
AT&T has received this patent for -- I kid you not -- a way to defeat 
anti-spam measures:

"A system and method for circumventing schemes that use duplication 
detection to detect and block unsolicited e-mail (spam.) An address on a 
list is assigned to one of m sublists, where m is an integer that is 
greater than one. A set of m different messages are created. A different 
message from the set of m different messages is sent to the addresses on 
each sublist. In this way, spam countermeasures based upon duplicate 
detection schemes are foiled."
<snip>

The patent can be found at:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,643,686.WKU.&OS=PN/6,643,686&RS=PN/6,643,686

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg