Subject: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Accessibility - W3C draft published

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:21:22 -0500

The WAI Protocols and Formats Working Group of the World Wide Consortium 
(W3C) has published a working draft on Turing tests and accessibility 
issues. This is in particular very relevant to C/R systems. The current 
version of the draft is available at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/

Comments are welcome and we need to also figure out how this is relevant 
to our requirements.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 14:56:12 -0500

> Comments are welcome and we need to also figure out how this is relevant 

Just to add something to this, Matt McCay who is the author of this 
draft, posted a reference on his weblog about how a spammer was able to 
get human volunteers to visit a porn site and defeat the CAPTHAS. The 
weblog comment is here:

http://www.bestkungfu.com/archive/?id=257

and the original article here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03278/228349.stm

Relevant quote:

--------snip---------
But at least one potential spammer managed to crack the CAPTCHA test. 
Someone designed a software robot that would fill out a registration 
form and, when confronted with a CAPTCHA test, would post it on a free 
porn site. Visitors to the porn site would be asked to complete the test 
before they could view more pornography, and the software robot would 
use their answer to complete the e-mail registration.