Subject: [Asrg] 7. Best Current Practices - Mail to verizon.net

From: Bart Schaefer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 20:14:04 +0000

Normally I'd send this sort of thing only to the list admins, but as this
list is for discussion of anti-spam practices ...

I've been trying to figure out why I haven't received any mail from the
ASRG list in a couple of days, despite new things showing up in the
archives.  So I took a look at the mail logs and queue at my MX host
(which forwards my brasslantern.com address to my verizon DSL mailbox).
I don't know why, but "MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]>" is rejected by
verizon's MXs with "450 Requested mail action not taken-Try later".

I'm receiving mail from other IETF lists (ietf-sasl, ietf-822, etc.) and
from other correspondents, so it's something specific to the ASRG list
that verizon objects to.  Looking through the mail queue, other messages
that verizon is rejecting with "Try later" are clearly spam.

I'll be contacting verizon support.  Obviously you should CC: me on any
discussion of this in the short term.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:14:46 -0500

> discussion of this in the short term.

Unlike other ietf.org lists, the ASRG list is exempt from all anti-spam 
rules. Thus, when exchanging spam samples or spam information, anti-spam 
software thinks that the ASRG list spews spam. This has caused 
occasional problems with specific subscribers, but most of this stuff 
stays behind the scenes. Additionally, recently the IETF switched 
machines with a new mail server not having a proper rDNS entry. This has 
also caused problem for some subscribers.

Its kind of ironic that messages from an anti-spam list are rejected by 
a spam filter...