Subject: [Asrg] Re: [Politech] Congress finally poised to vote on anti-spam bill [sp]

From: Steve Schear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:21:58 -0800

At 04:13 PM 11/21/2003 -0600, Declan McCullagh <[email-masked]> wrote:
>A copy of the bill is here:
>http://news.com.com/pdf/ne/2003/FINALSPAM.pdf

I interpret paragraph 1037(a)1 - 5 as possibly prohibiting the use of 
anonymous remailers, or proxies and nyms in registering email accounts, for 
the purpose of commercial speech.

steve 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Anne P. Mitchell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:32:48 -0800

There's actually a fair amount of proconsumer stuff in the new 
version...am in touch with DC..will post more when I can.

Anne P. Mitchell, Eaq.,
CEO/President, ISIPP

Sent from my Sidekick.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 3:26pm, Steve Schear wrote:
> anonymous remailers, or proxies and nyms in registering email accounts, 
> for the purpose of commercial speech.
>
> steve _______________________________________________
> Asrg mailing list
> [email-masked]

Sent from my Sidekick.

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:58:51 -0500

[Subject changed as per posting guidelines. Mod.]

We would like to hear on the anonymity aspect some more and how this 
bill will affect it.

Anne P. Mitchell wrote:
> 
> There's actually a fair amount of pro consumer stuff in the new 
>> anonymous remailers, or proxies and nyms in registering email 
>> accounts, for the purpose of commercial speech.
>>

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:01:57 -0500

I took a quick look at it, and although I am not a lawyer, it seems to 
affect only commercial emails and the anti-forging provisions do not 
seem to apply to a single email going to a single person, only to emails 
with 5 or more recipients or 2 domains.

Yakov