Subject: [Asrg] Re: 0. General - Spam survey

From: Fridrik Skulason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:22:28 +0000

I started taking this survey, but stopped after a few questions.  One reason being
the point about whether I *remember* providing information, which is the same issue
as another poster mentioned.   The second problem involved questions like this one:

   "... from a company you do not recognize.  You have had a business transaction 
    with them in the past."

This is somewhat confusing.   If I remembered that had a business transaction 
with them in the past then I would by definition recognize the company, which
kind-of invalidates the question, unless the implicit assumption is that I have
had a transaction with them, but do not remember doing so, which again brings
up the issue of whether the definition of spam depends on the quality of the 
memory of the recipient.  I do not think so, and I consider questions like this
to make the survey somewhat pointless.
   
-- 
Fridrik Skulason   Frisk Software International   phone: +354-540-7400
Author of F-PROT   E-mail: [email-masked]       fax:   +354-540-7401

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:57:13 +0000

> to make the survey somewhat pointless.

Surely what a *recipient* considers *spam* can only be determined by the
recipient. This can depend on the memory of the recipient. Why is this a
problem for us here?

--

---

From: "Dave Atherton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:32:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Fridrik Skulason" <[email-masked]>
> memory of the recipient.

That's a good point but the company could have changed its name or been
involved in a merger.  You might have done business with AT&T Broadband but
not recognize Comcast; so, Comcast knows you (and probably "acquired" your
consent) but you do not know Comcast.

-Dave

---

From: Richard Welty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:55:56 -0500 (EST)

> consent) but you do not know Comcast.

or to give an example that is very current:

when i purchased my Handspring Visor, i decided to let them send me their
newsletter. this is a case where i clearly consented to receive their marketing
info.

Hanspring recently merged with Palm. fortunately, they did a good job of letting
folks know, so i was not suprised when i started getting the Palm equivalent
of the old Handspring newsletter, but if i'd been asleep at the switch, or if they'd
done a lesser job of notification, i might think think otherwise.

richard
-- 
Richard Welty                                         [email-masked]
Averill Park Networking                                         518-573-7592
    Java, PHP, PostgreSQL, Unix, Linux, IP Network Engineering, Security

---

From: Dennis Gearon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:51:02 -0800

>done a lesser job of notification, i might think think otherwise.
If it was token based, and address specific, they would have to ask you 
to get in your  'gate' :-)