Subject: [Asrg] 3b - LMAP/SPF/etc - a request for clarification

From: Fridrik Skulason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:39:06 +0000

As I have mentioned before, my perspective is that of an anti-virus
developer.  I am very much in the favour of the adoption of an
authentication protocol, as that would make my life a lot easier - any
method that will make it easier for me to block firuses (or spam for 
that matter) that forges the sender

Now, what I am trying to understand is the relationsship between the
various proposals, and their differences - I am sure I am not the only
one who is getting a bit confused.

So, a request - could someone familiar with all the schemes, RMX, DMP,
SPF, LMAP etc... please create a summary of the differences - I am not
trying to start a discussion on which is the "best" - I am only trying
tu understand the differences between several proposals, all of which
are sort-of supposed to help with the same problem.

-- 
Fridrik Skulason   Frisk Software International   phone: +354-540-7400
Author of F-PROT   E-mail: [email-masked]       fax:   +354-540-7401

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Philip Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:27:54 -0500

> are sort-of supposed to help with the same problem.

LMAP as it stands is just a discussion document, not a specific technical 
design. Its intent is to provide the justification and defense for whichever 
technical proposal implements it.

Since I lack familiarity with the technical drafts, I'll leave their 
description to their authors or others who are more familiar with them.

Philip Miller

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:46:03 -0500

> are sort-of supposed to help with the same problem.

The basic concept of LMAP is to publish in DNS a list of IPs that are 
authorized to use the domain name in the MAIL FROM or HELO arguments of 
the SMTP transaction. The technical differences between RMX, SPF and DMP 
is how this data is stored in DNS, how it is parsed, extensibility and 
whether HELO parameter is addressed.

The discussion document provides a high level discussion of the issues 
relevant to the idea itself, with the drafts discussing the technical 
implementation details.

Hope this helps.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"All that is gold does not glitter" (LOTR)
-------