Subject: [Asrg] 3b. SMTP Session Verification - Description of New Subgroup

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:14:21 -0500

Existing CRI and LMAP subgroup will be folded into this subgroup. This
information can also be found at:
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/smtp_verify.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
This subgroup will research approaches for authenticating and verifying
the SMTP session

Goals:
1. Research pros and cons of different approaches to SMTP Session
Verification (LMAP, DRIP, MTAMARK, DK, C/R, PKI, etc.). This will
include dealing with issues of forwarders, roaming clients, making sure
that PKI-based approaches do not discriminate against smaller entities,
etc.
2. Research the issue of how verification of the SMTP session
information still allows forgery of the "From" address, and different
approaches to deal with it (this will overlap with Message Verification).
3. Provide one or more draft charters for an IETF WG and associated
documents.
4. Research pros and cons of doing verification at different steps of
the SMTP transaction (connect time, HELO, MAIL FROM, DATA, etc.).

Status:
Two previous subgroups, CRI and LMAP are being folded into this
subgroup. Both have been active since Fall of 2003 until January of
2003. This subgroup is currently in formation, and will restart in
February of 2004.

Chairs:
LMAP subgroup was headed by Alan Dekok, CRI subgroup was headed by Eric
Dean. Currently, this subgroup has no leadership and it is in formation.

Membership:
CRI and LMAP subgroups had a closed membership policy. This subgroup has
a closed membership policy as well, to join contact the ASRG chairs.

Participants:
o IETF and Internet experts knowledgeable in SMTP, DNS and other
relevant protocols
o People knowledgeable in architechtural issues surrounding email and
the Internet, and with experience in deploying, managing and changing
large scale systems
o Security experts, especially knowledgable in securing large scale
systems and PKI
o ISPs and MTA administrators
o Developers of MTAs and MUAs
o Developers of filters
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Some lies are easier to believe than the truth" (Dune)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg