Subject: Re: [Asrg] 7. BCP - Abuse Reporting standard

From: Brett Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:30:52 +1100

Another item of research in an abuse reporting standard ought to be making 
that mechanism itself abuse-resistant. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has 
been simultaneously joe-jobbed and been the subject of fraudulent abuse 
complaints based on the joe job.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Philip Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:18:18 -0500

> complaints based on the joe job.

This is the problem LMAP addresses. If you implement LMAP, and mail claiming 
to be from your domain that originates from a non-listed host is accepted, 
the recipient cannot reasonably hold you responsible, as you've done what 
you can to prevent abuse of your domain name.

If you mean that someone sent spam that advertised some site of yours 
illegitimately, that's something else altogether. I don't think we have any 
sort of proposal dealing with that.

Phil