Subject: [Asrg] 2. Analysis - Would DNS/TLD policies affect spammers?

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 01:59:18 -0500

According to a post on NANOG list, Verisign will change the serial
number format and "minimum" value in the .com and .net zones' SOA
records on or shortly after 9 February 2004. According to the post "this
serial number format change is in preparation for potentially more
frequent updates to these zones." This would mean that .COM and .NET may
begin to be updated more frequently than now (currently twice a day).

Some have argued
(http://www.icannwatch.org/articles/04/01/05/1453206.shtml) that the
recently developed preference of spammers for .BIZ names is due to the
real-time update ability of the .BIZ TLD.

My question is whether there is any data out there that can show this to
be true, and second, whether any kind of DNS policies such as longer
time periods for nameserver changes, would make any impact on spam vs. 
impact on legit users.

Relevant NANOG post is here:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg00794.html

Related InfoWorld story here:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/01/08/HNverisigncom_1.html

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I want to know G-d's thoughts... the rest are details" (Albert Einstein)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg