Subject: [Asrg] new ASRG charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:40:00 -0800

ASRG has been rechartered, per http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html.
I've appended a copy of the main charter text.

		Vern

Charter 

Problematic e-mail, informally called spam, has increased on the Internet
markedly in recent years, to a point where it threatens to make e-mail
unusable.  The Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG) investigates tools and
techniques to mitigate the sending and effects of spam.  Its focus is on
approaches that can be defined, deployed and used in the near term, by
addressing underlying characteristics of spam.

Work areas include new or improved anti-spam tools and techniques,
administrative tools and techniques, evaluation frameworks and measurement,
and approaches that involve changes to the existing applications and
protocols.  As work areas are defined, the chairs will convene subgroups
to work on them.

	* Anti-spam tools and techniques include those to prevent spam from
	  being sent, to prevent spam from being received, to distinguish
	  spam from legitimate mail, to facilitate management responses
	  to spam activity, and to ensure that legitimate mail is delivered
	  in the presence of other anti-spam measures.

	* Administrative tools and techniques include those to share
	  information among server and network operators about filters and
	  other anti-spam tools, those to help network managers identify
	  and deal with sources of spam on their networks, and codification
	  of best current practices in spam management.

	* Evaluation frameworks and measurement determine how well a tool
	  or technique accomplishes its stated goal, and the costs of the
	  tool or technique to both those who deploy it and others who may
	  be affected by it.  It may also be useful to create taxonomies
	  of existing techniques to predict the effectiveness of new or
	  modified techniques.

One function of the ASRG is to look at well-specified problems that can
be addressed by technical solutions.  When formulated, with development
of prototypes of the associated technology, these problem statements can
then serve as a starting point for standardization efforts within the IETF.
ASRG will choose topics likely to lead to usable results, and to avoid
those that duplicate other efforts or that have proven unproductive in the
past.

ASRG will, insofar as possible, coordinate with industry groups to develop
tools and techniques that both are technically sound and have sufficient
industry interest to be widely deployed.  Although the group's goals are
technical, it may consider tools and techniques to aid the implementation
of legal and other non-technical anti-spam measures.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg