Subject: RE: [Asrg] draft-irtf-asrg-bcp-blacklists-00

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:47:21 -0700

> On Wed, 5 May 2004 06:16:50 -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> >How many credit agencies would list every customer of Verizon 
> >because one customer of Verizon defaulted on a loan?
> 
> The analogy is inapt.  As for loans, Verizon is not an enabler of
> the damages caused by its customers'  loan defaults.   It IS an
> enabler of their spamming.

OK, Anderson accounting enabled Enron, does that mean that it is
legitimate to sanction every customer of Anderson?

> >How many credit agencies would list half the population of spain?
> >Would a credit agency list Texas because of Enron?
> 
> This type of wholesale response is valid and often done even
> by government agencies in order to bring pressure on a jurisdiction
> to clean up its act.  For example, stringent visa requirements for
> nationals of countries lax against terror--essentially a form of
> whitelisting.

The fact that a government can do something that a blacklist cannot
does not support your argument. Blacklists are not governments, they
are not accountable to any party.

Governments are defined by their ability to hold a monopoly on the
legitimate use of force. Saying that governments have the right to
police the Internet is not inconsistent with saying that private
individuals do not.

> Indeed your examples seem to support rather than oppose 
> blacklisting.

Your attempts to rebutt them fail totally. 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg