Subject: [Asrg] Stepping down from the ASRG

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 02:17:05 -0400

ASRG Members,

I am writing to inform you that I am stepping down from my position as a
co-chair of the ASRG. Unfortunately, my time constraints have increased
to a point where it is impossible to me to continue ASRG work.

It has been a very exciting and unique experience for me personally, and
I want to thank all of you for contributing to it. I hope that my small
contribution to the IETF and IRTF communities has made an impact on this
group and the future of the Internet.

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Former co-chair, ASRG

--
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"And this too shall come to pass" (Unknown)

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:24:46 +0930

I for one will be sad to see you go. a voice of reason amidst so much
clammer.

I hope you continue to succeed in all you do.

and thank you for so helpful when I needed it.

Warm Regards
Chris

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Yakov
> Shafranovich
> Sent: Friday, 21 May 2004 3:47 PM
> To: ASRG
> Subject: [Asrg] Stepping down from the ASRG
>
>
> ASRG Members,
>

---

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:50:49 +0930

Yakov has chosen to step down from his role as co-chair and this saddens me.

Now while I have no idea how to replace someone as pivotal as Yakov, can I
please put forward a hopefully helpful suggestion?

I am in the process of setting up a very small hosting service and it would
honour me if the members of this group would consider allowing me to host
this group in the form of a forum.

The forum could be hosted on its own domain and use the phpbb2 forum
package.

The reason I put this forward is I find that BB style forums are so much
easier to deal with than mailing lists
Threads and topics can all be logically organised.

I am sure many of you have used such forums and can decide whether that type
of forum would be suitable.

As for my own role I would not provide any other role than support and
maintenance handing over administration to the sitting chair. with full
access to the virtual website.

Regards
Chris

---

From: William Leibzon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 00:40:32 -0700 (PDT)

This is a sad day for ASRG. Its been better with both you and John in 
the head then its been when this all originally started and you definetly
done enourmous work in planning and organizing the group activities and 
keeping people here informed of new developments. I wish you well.

---

From: William Leibzon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 01:06:49 -0700 (PDT)

IETF requires work to be done through email lists as such web forum format 
would not be acceptable. G-maine list archive for this mail list is at
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.asrg.general/ and it allows to view the 
posts in more thread-like format and easier to search for particular 
messages. Additionally quite a number of subscribers prefer email list 
format over the web based forums.

In the future its possible that IETF would use software that allows for 
some integration between mail lists and web forums. Currently there is a 
shortage of available packages that can do it and those available are all
in early beta testing, such as phpbb m2f project (for more info see
see http://m2f.sourceforge.net/index.php which tries to integrage phpBB
forums with majordomo mail lists). I have it running  on one of 
our servers and can in theory set up such forum for asrg, but it 
really would not work properly unless the maillist is also running on same 
system, plus I think IETF is running on mailman and not on majordomo

---

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 18:09:28 +0930

I wasnt aware that the ietf 'requires' it

> format over the web based forums.

Hmmm I for one would prefer it the other way round. that way everything is
centralised
I would get email notifications only when activity occurs on a thread I am
interested in.

but it would be helpful if it was a system that went both ways. it wouldn't
be hard to do regardless of the maillist used.

any posts on the forum would also be sent out to the maillist as it is now.
any messages from the mail list would be automatically inserted into the
forum.

But I am too busy to do that myself now, perhaps if there was enough
interest I could make time for it.

I actually fully intend creating a "forum to news to forum" interface for
another project I am involved in so perhaps they will crossover.

Regards
Chris

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> William Leibzon
> Sent: Friday, 21 May 2004 5:37 PM
> To: Chris
> Cc: ASRG
> Subject: Re: [Asrg] 0 General: Forum
>
>
>

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 05:04:46 -0400 (EDT)

> I am in the process of setting up a very small hosting service and it
> would honour me if the members of this group would consider allowing
> me to host this group in the form of a forum.

I'm not sure what "a forum" is, nor how it differs from what we have
now, but as long as a normal mailing list interface is available it's
fine with me.  (If no mailing list interface is available, I for one
won't be using it.)

> The reason I put this forward is I find that BB style forums are so
> much easier to deal with than mailing lists

This sounds as though what you have in mind has an interface that's
fairly drastically different from a mailing list.  I have nothing
against that, as long as the mailing list interface is also available.

> Threads and topics can all be logically organised.

This is also true of email, if you pick the right user agent - or so I
hear; it's not something I want, so it's not something I've sought out
myself, or implemented in my own user agent.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

---

From: Matthew Elvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 16:48:10 -0700

>myself, or implemented in my own user agent.
I use threaded mode to read ASRG mail, and it works pretty well.

One of the key things I'd want to see in an alternative forum would be 
support for expressing support for notable posts - omething like 
slashcode (what /. runs on).  BB offers just polls.  Support for what I 
attempted
here: http://asrg.sp.am/wiki?OpinionMatrix would be nice.

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 2004 04:54:15 -0000

>this group in the form of a forum.

Thanks, but if the list moves, the only place it's likely to move to
is my majordomo2 server at asrg.sp.am where the subgroup lists live now.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
http://www.taugh.com