Subject: [Asrg] 3.bc - Microbonds and bonds in general

From: "william(at)elan.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 00:38:17 -0700 (PDT)

The following was just posted to spf, but since that group is not focused
on spam technologies in general, it might be more usefull and productive 
if discussions about this concept happen here. I note that what is proposed
is kind of a merger of bondedsender and similar whitelists with micropayments
(or similar) system of confirmation of that whitelisting.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 00:20:39 -0400
From: Meng Weng Wong <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] regarding hashcash / penny black and vanquish

On a related note regarding the sender-pays concept, I was recently
approached by www.vanquish.com.  The concept is similar to Yahoo
DomainKeys --- ISP-level cryptographic signatures embedded invisibly
in the message --- but adds an interesting twist: along with the
signature you get a microbond.

Not a micropayment, where each delivery always represents a financial
transaction; more like a microbet, where each delivery is underwritten
by a willingness to pay.  Essentially, senders say "I bet you 1 cent
that my message won't waste your time."  If the message is legit, the
recipient doesn't collect.  Only if it's spam does the recipient make
the sender pay.  I think this model accurately reflects real-world
economics.

Their business challenge is twofold: getting their zero-value bond (in
signature only mode) out into the market before Yahoo DomainKeys hits
the bigtime, and finding the industry niche who actually do want to
make use of this concept.

The great thing about sender authentication is that once it's in
place, you can start augmenting the email landscape in all kinds of
interesting ways like this one.

-------
Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200405.txtsc
Wiki: http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Matthew Elvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:55:34 -0700

I like the Vanquish folks and their system and I've spoken with most of 
their staff at length.
I suggested that they get code that validates a Vanquish microbond into 
SpamAssassin, but it hasn't happened - not even a bug filed about it in 
SA's bugzilla. (Just checked.)
(Vanquish's imperfections were the C/R part and the bugs and the 
centralized 'bank'.)