Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam Ecomomics

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:36:18 -0500

To be honest with you, I don't know the answer to that.

My personal experience has been far more text spam than app spam. As you
know, trojans are shipped over port 80 as well. I'm hit here more often than
not. The reinfection mechanisms are usually not smtp but ms exploits on
445/139 etc and are scanned and found using a variety of techniques
including http, icmp, and rpc.

That's a hard, but worthy, question.

-M
 
---
Martin Hannigan
[email-masked]
Verisign, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
To: Hannigan, Martin <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri Dec 31 08:29:51 2004
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam Ecomomics

Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> Sorry - Gadi, possible, but you're doing a good job explaining. I'm only
on
> my second cup of 4 coffees this morning. 
> 
> If a trojan is shipped in a spam, its still classically defined spam.

Nahh, martin, it is probably my cold effecting my mind. :)

What I meant by that is, that ther traffic that worms generate on SMTP 
along with spam, would consist of most of the SMTP traffic about. Would 
you disagree?

	Gadi.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:57:11 +0200

> That's a hard, but worthy, question.

Indeed. The problem is not just port 25, as a nice guy wrote here about 
a month ago.

It varies, but in my *personal* experience (so don't take my word on it, 
check yoru own data) the combination of spyware, worms (and other 
malware) and spam consists of between 50 and 80 per cent of an ISP's 
traffic.

This is an epidemic. Not "viruses". Someone needs to go out and say it.

	Gadi.