Subject: RE: [Asrg] Call for contributors to develop `pay per fraudulant m essage` I-D, code

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:31:12 -0800

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Amir Herzberg

> I believe there is a large sub-community here, that believes 
> in charging 
> per spam - or, I prefer, per a fraudulent message (containing 
> objectionable mail without appropriate label).

This is the key, how to make the abuser pay.

I think that this is a viable goal, particularly since it is not necessary
to be strictly scrupulous with measurement. Overbilling is not a defect in
this system.

Similarly I think that there is a lot that can be done to stop abuse of
botnets by ISPs but the advantage is seen by others. The challenge here is
how to change the business model so that there is an incentive to deploy
these measures.

If all else fails the incentive will be regulation, but that is likely to a)
take quite a long time and b) result in inflexible requirements or peverse
incentives. Regulation is a blunt weapon. 

	Phill

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg