Subject: Re: [Asrg] mail metering, was Spam, defined, and permissions

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:54:35 -0500

The only people evading would be spammers.

-M

---
Martin Hannigan
[email-masked]
Verisign, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue Dec 28 18:21:37 2004
Subject: Re: [Asrg] mail metering, was Spam, defined, and permissions

Conversely, I'm trying hard to imagine a spammer who could survive
without using port 25.

Maybe the problem described, evading metering, is not a bug but a
feature.

Use some oddball port or protocol, have a ball, that's not what
started all this. But port 25 becomes the toll road, you can use the
Queensborough, or drive up through The Bronx and take the 207th st
bridge, no one cares, doesn't really obviate the toll at the Midtown,
GW, Triboro, etc., there's a reason they stay in business, and in this
case only one will reliably get you where you probably needed to go
(maybe a better analogy is feel free to move to Indiana and never pay
that toll into Manhattan again.)

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:17:19 -0500

> The only people evading would be spammers.

That's probably true if the amount of mail included, like 1,000/mo,
was pretty reasonable, it's not really comparable to IP piracy where
every item has value.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*