Subject: Re: [Asrg] SICS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:21:59 +0000 (GMT)

> And the invalid user query is a database hit (40 million+ users and
those keep changing very rapidly).

First, relatively few ISPs have valid username lists totalling 40+ million 
usernames.

Even if they did, and if they average 12 bytes each, that's only maybe 500Mb of 
RAM... about $50 worth.

It would be relatively trivial to put in (as another poster suggested) a proxy 
server or other special-purpose machine which had a RAM copy of this list 
(probably hashed) which could be queried virtually instantaneously... it could 
(given the very low CPU requirement) even be a co-resident task on the mail 
server machine.(which would at least eliminate the excess inter-machine 
communication overhead, too).  So it's not like the mail server has to go off 
and do a grunt-slow Oracle search or something to verify a good E-mail 
address...!

Even if the ISP used a traditional database for their subscriber list, nothing 
would prevent them from also sending a message (even by E-mail!) to update the 
mail server when subscriber E-mail address information changes.

So anyhow, I -really- don't see this is a big deal.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg