Subject: RE: [Asrg] Why are we still here?

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:31:23 -0800

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Peter Kay

I've been a part of this list for some time now, in mostly lurking fashion.
My question to the group is, if you read all the anti-spam vendors (me
included), they all claim high-9 catch rates and near-zero false positives.
If this is the case, why are we still here trying to eliminate spam when one
would think that, if the claims are true, the spam problem has been solved?
I can only think of one of three reasons:
 
1. The vendor claims are false.  In the real world, you still get lots of
undesireable email.
2. The vendor claims are true, but we're a bunch of perfectionists searching
for infinite resolution of Pi.
3. The filtering paradigm is a non-solution due to increased use of
recipient resources (bandwith, storage, processing, end-user time, etc)

The simple answer is that filtering is only a tactical palliative and we
have not put the criminal spammers out of business. At this point the
proportion of spam created by non-criminal businesses is negligible. High
nines catch rates are good but not a solution for the person who like me
receives 1000 spams per day.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg