Subject: [Asrg] Re: - More 'pay per' foolishness

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:37:40 +0000 (GMT)

> - If X is a spammer she will eventually run out of money and will have to
pay her provider again (for sending mails).(Assuming we use some sort of 
SMTP extension or some other mechanism for authenticating X's account)

> - If Y replies to X's mail the same transaction happens the other way round.

> So, if I am a normal user I am not likely to run out of money in my
account because i'll be sending as well as receiving mails. If there is
some deduction in my account but i know i didn't send any mails then it's
most likely that my machine is infected(assuming there is no way to
prevent zombies from sending authenticated mail ).

> And I would love to be spammed because that will only increase the amount
of money in my account.

And so what happens for 'free' community mailing lists and other such affinity 
groups, which get one mail from a group member and send it out to the other 
thousand members of the affinity group?

Not all E-mail send/receive traffic is anything remotely like symmetrical.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:07:41 +0530 (IST)

> thousand members of the affinity group?
Ok how about choosing IDs for which u don't want to receive the benefit.
So, while subscribing to a mailing list u are required to authorize the
list ID for sending free messages.

> Not all E-mail send/receive traffic is anything remotely like symmetrical.
Doesn't matter. Atleast it's better than paying when u send and not
getting anything when you receive.
It could also lead to reduction in email traffic which is not bad.

Regards,
Aseem Jakhar