Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam Ecomomics

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:59:47 -0500

If they are moving over port 25, its smtp traffic by design. Is is safe to
classify this traffic as "spam" by its nature? 

-M

---
Martin Hannigan
[email-masked]
Verisign, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
To: Hannigan, Martin <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri Dec 31 07:59:48 2004
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam Ecomomics

Hannigan, Martin wrote:
> 
> So what are we saying? Systemic destruction of spam is not necessary? 

No. It simply says that spam is not the biggest bandwidth bogger - by 
itself. With viruses and spyware I'd put money on it.

	Gadi.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Gadi Evron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:19:42 +0200

> classify this traffic as "spam" by its nature? 

Your point? I'm afraid we must not understand each other.

---

From: Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:23:03 -0500 (EST)

> Your point? I'm afraid we must not understand each other.

To put it more simply: email worms are spam.

They're sent in bulk.

They're unsolicited.

They're email.

So how would they not be spam?

Seth

---

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:21:51 -0500

> So how would they not be spam?

The point is probably academic, but one difference is that even
if the email worms weren't sent in bulk they'd be considered a
problem.

Put another way, there's thus far no form of an email worm which
non-insane people would consider acceptable email. That's not true of
advertising email.

Also, worms don't by their nature carry commercial content, not that
an exception would obviate that point.

At any rate there would seem to be some taxonomic utility in
distinguishing between worms (delivered via email) per se and
unsolicited commercial/bulk email in general.

If for no other reason than the more we conflate them the more we
confuse public dialogue (e.g., the media, legislators, etc.) Consider
for example the laws against each (unsolicited advertising vs worms.)

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*