Subject: [Asrg] Spam solution requirements

From: Devdas Bhagat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 02:29:50 +0530

As I see it, there are multiple scenarios where we need to solve the
spam problem.

1> The ISP hosting mail for a large number of users under a single
namespace.
2> The ISP hosting mail for a number of users under different
namespaces on the same systems.
3> The single user with a vanity domain, hosted on a home system.
4> The single user using an ISPs email service.
5> A corporate mailbox which needs to service a large number of external
senders (eg sales@).
6> A corporate mailbox which does not need to service a large number of
external senders (eg [email-masked])
7> Role accounts like abuse and postmaster, which need to accept all the
crap that is thrown at them.

Each of these has different requirements and needs different solutions.

Maybe we need to try and figure out appropriate solutions for each of
these classes instead of trying to get a one size fits all solution?

Even the opponents of spam have different goals
1> Stop the spam from being in the inbox, but not miss any legitimate
mail.
2> Stop the spam on the mailserver, but not lose any legitimate mail
regardless of how much spam is let through.
3> Stop the spam on the mailserver, but a few non spam mails getting
rejected is perfectly acceptable.
4> Stop the spam from being sent in the first place.

Each of those has different techniques, and should be handled by a
different method (one method doing one small job well).

If we can start by creating a matrix of the requirement and solution
classes, we should be able to get the antispam proposals slotted into
the matrix, and see whether they can solve that particular problem
correctly.

Please add/clarify scenarios, so that a set of problem spaces can be
defined.

Devdas Bhagat
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:05:20 +0530 (IST)

I aggree with u Devdas that diff organizations or ppl have different
reuirements. But then we can't focus on one particular problem space at a
time a ignore other possibilities.
This is for the AntiSpam product companies to decide and customize their
products for diff clients. Most Organizations today are ready to customize
their products according to the needs of the customers.