Subject: RE: [Asrg] Re: Disaster looming: SPF

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:13:42 +0000 (GMT)

> My concern about SPF is that it is now a legacy system and that people need
to understand that they cannot play with it as much as they would like. 

This is just the kind of "fait accompli" bullshit that we saw coming.  SPF's 
proponents argue about how it's "optional" and "not required" but meanwhile try 
to make it EXACTLY that.  Then they say, "gee, it's now in place" and "we can't 
really change it _now_..."

> SPF has seen extensive deployment and despite the issues that broke up MARID 
is still backed by all the major ISPs and every major industry thought leader -
here including OSS as industry.

It's a braindead, ill-conceived scheme and those people who deployed it KNOWING 
FULL WELL that it had these warts ought to know be forced to bear the costs of 
their folly!

> The only place SPF and Sender-ID are still disputed is in the academy.

Rubbish.  

> Frankly my opinion on that quarter is the same as that of Dentrassi cooks on
subjects other than cuisine and mixing drinks.

> The point about authentication is not that it will stop spam... 

But of course, that's what it was ALWAYS PRESENTED in the same breath as... the 
same kind of lies and deceptions and misrepresentations that have been used to 
justify major wars by equally dishonest liars.  :-(((

> ...but that providing an authentication mechanism is a pre-condition for 
deployment of any scheme that moves beyond content filtering and blacklists.

Sorry, but I simply DO NOT AGREE with that.  Nor, for that matter, do I feel 
that "moving beyond" content filtering and blacklists are necessarily even 
DESIRABLE, on balance (in particular, if the major costs and hassles are not 
justfied by whatever minor advantages and improvements there might be).

But to claim that "an authentication mechanism" is a precondition for ANY AND 
ALL other technologies, including technologies not yet proposed, is clearly 
ridiculous.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 13:06:10 -0500 (EST)

>> The only place SPF and Sender-ID are still disputed is in the

Really?  I think just about everybody else has either started using it
or dismissed it; I don't see much dispute.  I certainly have learned
that there's no point trying to dispute it with hts more vocal
proponents.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B