Subject: Re: [Asrg] SICS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:18:25 +0000 (GMT)

>> Rather than a "spam-blocking" program labelling something as spam
> and blocking it, we should have an "unwanted-email-blocking
> program".  When the spammer's lawyer screams "It's not spam, it's
> ooga-booga.  Stop blocking my client's emails with your
> 'spam-blocking' program", we should respond that it's really an
> 'unwanted-email-blocking-program'.  And that our customer has
> indicated that he doesn't want your email.

> That doesn't work: the spammer will get a shill to sign up with your
ISP and claim he _wants_ the spam.

That's ONLY a problem if the decision is made by the ISP and applies to all 
recipients.

Once the recipient has the control, then THEY can set the filter as close or as 
open as they want, based on which of their recipients they trust and expect to 
send them what (type and content of mail).  

One could even envision, for example, a scheme whereby an E-mail from a given 
whitelisted sender would only be trusted IF it contained one of a small set of 
internal "keys" in it, specific to that sender, perhaps in the header or even in 
the mail body:  the sender's habitual signature file, what E-mail program they 
use, their IP address in the header (for users with fixed IP addresses) or some 
such.  

In any case, the result of doing this RIGHT is that the shill signing up for the 
ISP will accomplish absolutely NOTHING, since THEY are the only ones who will 
receive the spammer's crap...!  The shill's permissions and demands won't affect 
ANY other recipient.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg