Subject: RE: [Asrg] SICS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 01:19:06 +0000 (GMT)

>> The biggest, best move would be if we could get Microsoft 
>> onboard, and/or some 
>> company able to produce something that would piggyback onto 
>> Outlook and Outlook 
>> Express.
 
>> That would be the best way to make the biggest impact, the fastest.

>They're already in, at a much higher level. 

Well, they are, but only half-heartedly at this point.  Their typical approach 
is to enable the user to block certain kinds of things, although the 
restrictions feature is presently mostly unusable... if you need to be able to 
accept HTML or ActiveX or attachments from ANY SINGLE sender, then you end up 
having to basically turn it on globally.

If they'd set up finer gradations on what the user is willing to accept, AND 
then to make those permissions variable, based upon who the sender is... then 
they'd be a lot closer to the technique I believe in.

>Of course, the more
>secure they make their products, the less they will be exploited, but,
>there will *always* be exploits -- there will always be bots, IMHO.

Sure, but by slashing unexpected attachments and HTML, we can SLASH the arrival 
of worms and viruses in E-mail, to something very nearly approaching zero.  And 
we could do that much EASILY.  And it doesn't require ANY major global E-mail 
infrastructure changes, nor does it require loading new antivirus files every 60 
minutes.

(In fact, MY approach would also block most viruses and worms in E-mail EVEN 
BEFORE *ANY* ANTIVIRUS PRODUCT was able to detect it...!)

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg