Subject: [Asrg] Statistics on Nigerian 419 Spam

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:59:44 EST

Hello: 
 
Does any one have statistics on the global cost of Nigerian 419 email  spam?  
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:25:48 EST

Yeah they do that.  It shameful.   I am writing an  artilce  "Cost of 
Nigerian Spam" 
I have written about Nigerian 419 in the past..   Incidentally, i  spoke to a 
Nigerian ISP , he estimates that  Incoming SPAM traffic is about  50% and 
close to $40,000 a year.  However, the ISP does not keep track  of  outgoing 
spam.  Keep in mind that Nigerian Internet Traffic is  non-local, for example most 
 email sent within Nigerian (local) still  get routed via some International 
backbone provider.   My initial  observations are these: 
 
A) Nigerian outgoing  spam imposes a certain cost on the rest of the  world 
b) Incoming spam to Nigeria poses a high burden cost on local Intenet  
connectivity
 
Spam  to and fro that part of the world might be a two edge  blade, impacting 
technology development, and imposing high email cleaning costs  on the rest 
of the world 

In a message dated 3/23/2005 12:06:40 PM Central Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

One of the scammers recently asked for my  help moving $32 million in 419 
scam profits out of Nigeria...
 
What do you want the figures for? There  are estimates that put the damage at 
$500 million a year, the gangs almost  certainly only make a fraction of that.