Subject: [Asrg] IBM invents return to sender

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:10:02 -0500 (EST)

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/22/technology/ibm_spam/index.htm?cnn=yes

 (or go on news.google.com and type in fairuce for a lot of press releases)

I heard this on CNBC this AM and read a few of the articles, they call
it "FairUCE" and on CNBC they were pronouncing that like "Fair Use".

Am I missing something or is this the dumbest anti-spam idea to come
along yet?

Their software is going to figure out where the spam came from and
mail it back? WTF?

Isn't this like the first thing we all thought of in 1997, someone
spams you, mailbomb them?

Of course w/ zombie armies being the primary source of spam you're
just mailing it to poor Uncle Louie who still thinks spam is pretty
good fried up with eggs and toast.

Here's a quote:

  > IBM is not concerned about liability, even in cases where innocent
  > senders might be misidentified as spammers, because all the
  > technology does is bounce back the e-mails, said Gail.

and all the spammer is doing is sending you ``e-mails'', Gail, but
obviously it pisses you off enough that your company went to a lot of
effort to release a product and crank up the PR machine to tout a
technology which is only slightly more pathetic than Tommy Thompson
recommending duct tape as the first line of defense against chemical
and biological attacks.

Maybe IBM shoulda stuck to punchcards, they were real good at
punchcard technology...

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg