Subject: [Asrg] [OT?] CIS Systems wins $1.08 billion in case against spammers

From: Jim Witte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:44:23 -0500

A May 30 BusinessWeek online article details a $1.08 billion court  
verdict for CIS systems against three companies on spam-related  
charges.  An interesting part was the mention that "A CD-ROM popular  
among spammers had some 2.8 million e-mail addresses for real and  
bogus CIS clients. It included names likes [email-masked] and  
[email-masked]".  I seriously doubt that there anyone  
actually chooses 'buttcheese4ever' as an email address (and CIS  
systems only had 5,000 customers anyway!).  So, what is the possible  
motive of putting a fake email address on a 'spam CD'?  Unless  
someone put that in as a fake ID somewhere, or the harvesting system  
is just putting together random IDs and domains (which seems  
extraordinarily stupid, even for spammers).

chan=mz&

Jim

----

Article follows.  URL Link: //www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/ 
content/05_22/b3935012_mz001.htm?

(NOTE: This is reproduced under the Fair Use clause of US copyright  
law, for education purposes only on a research-oriented mailing  
list.  The following text is copyright BusinessWeek Magazine,  
published by The McGraw-Hill Companies.  No copyright by the author  
of this message is claimed, nor is any infringement of copyright  
intended.  No commercial or noncommercial gains, other than the  
education of this research community of the IETF, are being made.)

How a small Iowa ISP and two antispam attorneys sued junk e-mailers  
and won a $1 billion judgement

The fight against big-time spammers is a tough one -- but sometimes  
the little guy can win.

Case in point: Tiny CIS Internet Services. Beginning in 2000, the  
Internet service provider (ISP) based in Clinton, Iowa, (population:  
35,000) began to be deluged with tens of millions of spam e-mails. A  
CD-ROM popular among spammers had some 2.8 million e-mail addresses  
for real and bogus CIS clients. It included names likes [email-masked]  
and [email-masked].

Trouble was, CIS only had 5,000 customers, mostly rural Iowa  
residents with dial-up service at the time. Its single T1 Internet  
connection couldn't handle the e-mail onslaught, which caused servers  
that should have run untroubled for months to crash frequently.

TURNING THE TABLES.  After battling with the junk e-mails for two  
years, CIS founder Robert Kramer, 46, decided to fight back. He  
contacted antispam attorneys Paul "Pete" Wellborn III and Kelly  
Wallace. The duo have helped giant Atlanta-based ISP EarthLink  
(ELNK ) track down and sue dozens of other online purveyors of Viagra  
and herbal supplements. One, Howard Carmack, known as the Buffalo  
Spammer, was convicted and sentenced to up to seven years in jail  
last year by a judge in Erie County, N.Y.

With Wallace taking the lead, the attorneys identified 300 "John Doe"  
spammers and filed suit in U.S. District court in Iowa in October,  
2003. Like so many other executives at ISPs, Kramer has been troubled  
by spammers for years. More than 80% of e-mail is estimated to be  
spam, according to e-mail security firm Postini. Microsoft (MSFT ),  
Time Warner's (TWX ) AOL unit, and EarthLink have filed dozens of  
suits to shut them down.

Now, it was Kramer's time to turn the tables. "They're criminals all  
the way around," he says.

RACKETEERING CHARGES.  Victory, at least moral, came last December.  
Setting a financial precedent, a federal judge awarded $1.08 billion  
in damages to CIS, blaming three companies identified as using its  
servers to send unsolicited e-mail. None of the companies -- Florida- 
based Cash Link Systems and TEI Marketing, and Arizona-based AMP  
Dollar Savings -- ever responded to the court. It didn't matter. The  
judgment was the largest ever against spammers.

More important, it delivered a message that the veil of anonymity on  
the Web is lifting. "This is a stark reminder to spammers of the kind  
of punishment that can await them," says Ray Everett-Church, chief  
counsel at the Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email  
(CAUCE), an antispam group.

Indeed, the CIS case shows how the law may finally be catching up  
with cybercriminals. CIS sued them using an Iowa antispam law that  
allows plaintiffs to claim damages of $10 per junk message -- a  
severe penalty for spammers pounding in-boxes with billions of e- 
mails each day. And they used the federal Racketeer Influenced &  
Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, which Justice Dept. officials say  
is proving to be a useful tool in charging alleged cybercrooks.

"CONSTANT ATTACK."  Indeed, in the ruling, U.S. District Judge  
Charles Wolle agreed that CIS was harmed by a spam deluge that  
methodically filtered more than 10 million messages per day through  
company servers. "There are people out there who think they're immune  
from prosecution," says Wallace, 34, who studied law at the Georgia  
Institute of Technology.

The evidence against the spammers in the CIS case was substantial,  
says Wallace. The companies allegedly used a CD-ROM called  
"BulkMail4Dummies, Version 2" to hawk cashless ATMs, mortgages, and  
Viagra. In court, Wallace showed log files indicating that each day  
between August and December, 2003, Cash Link Systems sent 60,000 spam  
e-mails to CIS customers, AMP sent 120,000, and TEI sent another  
1,400. The actual numbers were much higher, says Wallace.

And those companies' alleged misdeeds were nothing compared to the  
firehouse of spam that CIS suffered. CIS server logs showed that in  
one 24-hour period, more than 9 million connection attempts were made  
to CIS servers by the three companies and dozens of others. Most were  
successful. Spam experts say there's no limit to the amount of e-mail  
that can be sent with each connection. And the wave of connections  
hit every day for years. "This was a constant attack," says Wallace.

LEGAL BATTLES.  Kramer is unlikely to see much of the money in the  
short run. Cash Link Systems, which owes $360 million, had its assets  
seized last year by the Securities & Exchange Commission. The feds  
accused the company of running a scam to lure investors for its  
cashless ATM business. Few of its ATMs were ever installed, according  
to an SEC complaint. AMP Dollar, tagged with a $720 million penalty,  
and TEI Marketing, which owes $140,000, have remained silent.

Since then, however, Wallace has filed another lawsuit on behalf of  
CIS against the alleged operators of AMP, the husband and wife team  
Henry Perez and Suzanne Bartok, seeking to collect damages. A judge  
declined their motion to dismiss the suit in March. The duo's  
attorney, Davis Foster, says the case is now moving to discovery. He  
disputes that AMP, itself, was a spamming company.

The pain of dealing with spam has eased only slightly for Kramer  
since the judgment. After all, the authors of "BulkMail4Dummies" have  
yet to be tracked down, despite an FBI investigation prompted by  
antispam attorneys Wellborn and Wallace. Kramer estimates he has  
spent more than $200,000 to repair equipment, upgrade servers, and  
add bandwidth to handle the continuing spam flood.

RAPID FIRE.  Despite having launched DSL and wireless broadband  
service, his customer base has tumbled below 5,000, smaller than it  
was before the lawsuit. Spammers still paste CIS e-mail addresses  
into their "From" fields to hide the origins of their wares. Those e- 
mails are bounced back to Kramer from AOL, EarthLink, and other giant  
ISPs, creating more spam. "These schmucks don't just blast you 3  
million times then go away," he says. "They hit you again and again  
and again."

Still, Kramer holds out hope that one day he will be able to look a  
convicted spammer in the eye -- as he collects a huge check for  
damages. "I have worked my ass off, and they have dominated my life  
for many years," he says. "It would be nice to see what type of a  
person pushes a button and walks away." Meantime, he's savoring a  
small but symbolic victory against the spam set.

By Brian Grow in Atlanta
EDITED BY Edited by Patricia O'Connell

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: James Lick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:02:45 +0800

Jim Witte wrote:

> So, what is the possible motive of putting a fake email address on a 
> 'spam CD'?  Unless someone put that in as a fake ID somewhere, or the 
> harvesting system is just putting together random IDs and domains 
> (which seems extraordinarily stupid, even for spammers).

List providers charged based on how many millions of addresses they sell 
you.  The type that sells the so-called 'millions cds' couldn't care 
less about the accuracy of the list.  Oh, you thought people in the 
spamming industry were honest?

-- 
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- [email-masked] -- http://jameslick.com/

---

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:57:40 -0400

It all seems kind of pathetic, actually.

These excess mouths hijack others' computers via use of malicious
software soas to hide their identity and flood the internet with
literally billions of fraudulent and illegal advertisements. Such that
the mere volume becomes a bigger problem than the content per se, but
the content is almost universally prosecutable.

And we're supposed to be thrilled about a default judgement against a
bunch of judgement-proof scumbags in a civil court?

Gosh, I thought pursuing and subduing criminals was one of the primary
reasons we put up with all the other bullshit govt creates in our
lives? Not the only reason, but a big, big one.

Sad, when you think about it, what a bunch of paper tigers our govts
are when it comes to spam.

Funny how effective the gummint was with busting down doors and
dragging perps away in chains at Elite Torrents in almost no time.

     http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/05/25/226228.shtml?tid=95&tid=17

And the hundreds of arrest warrants issued over child porn and sexual
endangerment (e.g., luring underage, ya know.)

Not that I have any grievance with any of that, just pointing out that
it can be done if someone makes it their priority.

There can't be all that much difference between hunting down and
arresting illegal download site ops or child pornographers versus
spammers. Yet, Ralsky operates as a free man even with his name and
face and address and activities plastered all over the place for all
to see.

Maybe that's no accident.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*