Subject: [Asrg] What is new about SAVE?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:08:07 +0000 (GMT)

If I read the slides correctly, their idea is to increase the cost of
sending e-mails with mathematical puzzles, which is seen as acceptable
for a few e-mails, but not for mass e-mails. Mails from an unknown
(=not-yet-whitelisted) sender are put in a 'holdbox', and the
receiving MTA sends a challenge consisting of a puzzle back to the
sender. The sender then has to proof his sincerity by solving the
puzzle, either a mathematical one by automatically expending costly
computation time, or by solving a puzzle made for a human (an image
which you have to read numbers from, like on some web registration
forms). 

One of the (many) reasons why this proposal is misguided is the fact that 
spammers using armies of spambots have several orders of magnitude more 
computing power available to them (to waste in solving such puzzles) than 
legitimate senders probably do.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Hadmut Danisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:31:10 +0200

> legitimate senders probably do.

Sure. The same reasons apply as for Gates' proposal. These reasons
have been intensively discussed years ago on the IRTF predecessor of
this asrg mailing list. Not even Gates himself mentions that proposal
anymore. 

The more I wonder why a Institute of a University now comes up with
the same proposal again, or in what relevant way SAVE differs from 
Gates proposal. And why the newsticker praises this as a brandnew
proposal. Anyone know where this has been discussed at IETF?

regards
Hadmut