Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: Body signature subgroup and the forwarding project

From: Bruce Lilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:49:23 -0400

>  Date: 2005-08-05 05:38
>  From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>

>   On 2005-08-05 11:08:51 +0200, Brian Azzopardi wrote:
> > If even as widely used an MTA as sendmail has an issue (worked around by
> > simple canonicalization) I wonder how many interesting MUAs behind
> > interesting MTAs there are. Do you have any numbers?
> 
> I understand the purpose of this experiment is to get such numbers.

Sending a few messages through a few MTAs cannot generate the types of
numbers discussed.  Only a thorough test (impractical) could do so.  At
best, the "experiment" described will simply confirm what can already be
determined by other means given the identities of the specific MTAs to
be "tested".

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Bruce Lilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:57:58 -0400

>  Date: 2005-08-05 04:00
>  From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>

> We have seen some evidence that people believe the names that are used to label 
> an activity. 
> 
> I believe this potentially useful activity is NOT about signatures.
> 
> It is about "survivable" canonicalization.  Since that is such an awkward 
> phrase, it is probably reasonable to say it is about  hashes.

Well, it's about canonicalization for the purpose of having something over
which to compute a hash, for the purpose of signing selected parts of a
message (including some header fields and possibly only an initial portion
of the message body).
 
> calling the activity bodysig is going to draw folk that actually want to talk 
> about signatures.

Calling it "Body signature subgroup" is downright misleading, since it
involves header fields and possibly only a part of the body (we already
have Content-MD5 (RFC 1864, a Draft Standard) for body and MIME body part
hashes).

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Aug 2005 00:55:56 -0000

>determined by other means given the identities of the specific MTAs to

If you don't think the experiments will be useful, feel free not
to participate.

R's,
John

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Aug 2005 00:55:56 -0000

R's,
John