Subject: [Asrg] Mail problem in NY

From: Dan Oetting <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:32:37 -0700

Has anyone else seen a mail delivery problem between the US and  
europe starting a couple of days ago? I traced it to a hop in the NY  
area that is specifically clobbering large packets on TCP port 25.  
Looks to me like a mis-configured packet sniffer or an intentional  
jammer.

If spammers are intercepting mail on the backbone the era of passive  
spamtraps will be over. Or, it might be an experiment to jam content  
packets and reinject spam in the middle of an email as it flies by on  
the wire. I hope it's just our own spooks bungling a tap.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jan 2007 17:49:53 -0000

>Looks to me like a mis-configured packet sniffer or an intentional  

I'm in New York downstream of Sprint, and haven't seen any unusual
problems.

This kind of problem is much, much, more likely to be a screwup
than intentional sabotage.

R's,
John