Subject: [Asrg] Minutes of ASRG at IETF 72

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:08:56 +0100 (IST)

Here's my draft of the minutes.  If I missed something, please send 
corrections.

R's,
John

------------------------
ASRG Session (1 hour)
Wednesday afternoon session II, 1510-1610

* Review DNSBL RFC

We agreed to make the never-to-appear test entry in domain based BLS
INVALID rather than TEST.  Suggestion to take out localpart.domain
mapped email addresses which aren't widely used and are potentially
messy due if localparts contain unusual characters.

We didn't resolve the question of IPv6 test entries, maybe will
reserve some new addresses, or use the mapped IPv4 addresses.  We will
look for some v6 experts for advice and also to review the draft.

* Final look at DNSBL BCP.  Should be last call, only editorial nits since
   last time.

Current content is OK per consensus.  Some suggestions that it should
also give advice to receivers, e.g., check regularly to ensure lists
are still active and don't use the ones that aren't.

It might make sense to do this as a separate document rather than
delay the existing one, or it might be better to have one BCP to hand
out, even if it takes another month or two to finish it.

* Review the modest progress on the anti-spam technique wiki

We have some volunteers:
Leif Johannsen [email-masked]
Tim Hunter [email-masked]
Jorgen Eriksson [email-masked]
Barry Leiba [email-masked]

* AOB

We discussed the ARF (Abuse Reporting Format) draft, agreed that since
it primarily documents existing practice, no point to running it
through the ASRG.

Barry Leiba will run an informal ASRG session at the CEAS conference
later this month to spread the word and perhaps get more active
members.  Goal is to have an ASRG paper for the 2009 CEAS.

The Chair thinks that assertions are interesting and will write a draft
about them RSN.

Adjourned.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Chris Lewis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 22:20:20 -0400

> Here's my draft of the minutes.  If I missed something, please send 

Don't we have to change the RHSBL test entry to agree with yours?
> out, even if it takes another month or two to finish it.

I thought we already had something about periodic testing.  We can put a 
sentence in for that methinks.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Frank Ellermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 05:06:57 +0200

> Don't we have to change the RHSBL test entry to agree with yours?

If you go to that detail, sure.  You could also cover technical
basics with a normative reference to the (future) standard, and
use a higher level of abstraction, e.g., write "the test entry",
details depending on the list type as specified in John's draft.

 Frank