Subject: relationship atm1, atm2, atmtc mibs

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:26:47 -0400

i still owed an answer to Gary's question on
why the atm1,2&tc mibs should not liberally
reference each other. in my view, the reason 
is as follows.
- the supplemental mib was created as a separate
  mib module to reflect the different levels of
  maturity. the idea was that the atm1 mib may
  at some point in time have a different standards 
  level as compared with the atm2 mib or in any case
  that the more stable stuff would not have to be revised
  because of the less stable stuff
- the atmtc mib was created for reasons of flexibility
  but the same observation as above may apply here as well
- actually, currently the atm1/2 mibs have different maturity levels
- if the atm1 and atmtc mibs would reference the atm2 mib
  e.g., through detailed explanation of atm2 objects 
  then this would link the mibs in a way such that publication 
  schedules would have to be tightly synchronized.
  this would defeat the original purpose and would argue
  for returning to a single module.

i think the current edits avoid this problem while still
providing the level of explanation to make the specs
implementable.

kaj

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                                      _/
_/  Kaj Tesink                                                          _/
_/  Bellcore                                vmail (732) 758-5254        _/
_/    331 Newman Springs Rd.                email [email-masked]   _/
_/    Red Bank, NJ 07701                  faxmail (732) 758-2269        _/
_/                                                                      _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                                      _/
_/  Kaj Tesink                                                          _/
_/  Bellcore                                                            _/
_/  Business Internet Professional Services  vmail (732) 758-5254       _/
_/  331 Newman Springs Rd.                   email [email-masked]  _/
_/  Red Bank, NJ 07701                     faxmail (732) 758-2269       _/
_/                                                                      _/
_/  * NOTE AREA CODE CHANGE (908) --> (732) EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 1997 *    _/
_/                                                                      _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/