Subject: Question on IndexNext objects

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:07:04 -0400

Since I'm new to this list, I don't know if my question is something that
has already been discussed in the past.  If so, could someone please point
me to the discussion.

After implementing the atmVpCrossConnectIndexNext and
atmVcCrossConnectIndexNext objects, I've noticed that they are constantly
being incremented.  I'm using a standard management application (SNMPc from
Castle Rock) and it periodically walks the MIB issuing GetNext requests.
This has the undesirable effect of reading the IndexNext objects which
reserve an index value even though the operator has no intention of using
this value.  How do MIB implementors handle this situation?

The description of these objects states "the manager issues a management
protocol retrieval operation to obtain the current value of this object."
Does a "retrieval operation" include a GetNext or is it only on a Get that
the next value is obtained?  If a retrieval operation includes both Get and
GetNext, then all of the index values will get used up over time as
standard management applications periodically walk the MIB.  If a retrieval
operation is only a Get, then I don't think the MIB walking will be a
problem, but what value should be returned on a GetNext, a 0?

Don Cantwell
508-871-0555