Subject: ATM Interface Configuration Table

From: Ted Chang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:21:54 -0500

Hi Atommiber,

This is a very basic question to RFC1695: if I have to create or
delete entries in the atmInterfaceConfTable (as well as in
IfTable), how do I handle it? I cannot assume the existence of
entries in the atmInterfaceConfTable when there is no UNI etc.
defined. The ATM switching fabric I am dealing with supports
'subports' - e.g., an OC-3 port can be configured as either a
single 150M UNI, or three 50M UNI's.

Please note that the 'subport' is different from the ATM logical
port which is built on top of a VPL as described in the
Supplemental MIB. And, the same question applied to the ATM
logical port too - how do I create an entry in the
atmInterfaceConfTable for it?

Very appreciated if someone can offer some hints on this.

Regards,
Ted Chang

---

From: Gary Hanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

Ted,

> single 150M UNI, or three 50M UNI's.

Sounds like you need an enterprise-specific mechanism that
causes your agent to create the atm(37) ifTable entries.
The agent can then also create the atmInterfaceConfTable
entries at the same time.

The key thing to remember is that the agent should always
be in charge of selecting the ifIndex values; the manager
should not be given control of assigning such values.

> atmInterfaceConfTable for it?

This should be created by the agent automatically as a side-
effect of setting the atmVplLogicalPortDef for a VPL to the
value isLogicalIf, as should the corresdponding entry in the
atmInterfaceExtTable of the ATM2-MIB.

> Very appreciated if someone can offer some hints on this.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Gary