Subject: Re: PerfHist-TC-MIB

From: Ken Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:02:13 -0400

At 04:15 PM 6/2/98 -0700, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>I've been doing the IESG quality review on this document.  There are two

>issues which I would like to get the list(s) feedback on.

>1) Currently all three TCs have a syntax of Gauge32.  IMO this implies

>certain semantics which the TCs and the underlying MIB objects do not

>possess.  I'd prefer to see these all changed to Unsigned32.  Note that

>Gauge32 and Unsigned32 are encoded identicially, so there would be no

>change to the data on the wire.

I agree.

>2) The xyzInvalidIntervals DESCRIPTION states simply "The number of

>intervals for which no valid data is available."  When an agent which

>supports 96 intervals is initially powered up, should the invalid interval

>counter be 0 or 96?  In other words, are there initially 96 intervals which

>are all invalid, or are there zero intervals?

I think that it should be the number of UNAVAILABLE intervals and that

it should be the difference between the number of SUPPORTED intervals and

the number of AVAILABLE intervals.  INVALID intervals are another matter

altogether (see ANSI T1.231-1997 clause 9.1.2.2).  Given that, the name is

wrong.  It should be xyzUnavailableIntervals and xyzValidIntervals should

be xyzAvailableIntervals.

I'm proposing that the SONET Supplemental MIB contain the following variables

for 1-day intervals:

sonetSupportedDays OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..32)

    MAX-ACCESS  read-only

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

       "The number of previous and recent 1-day intervals which the

        SONET interface supports."

    REFERENCE   "ANSI T1.231-1997 clause 9.1.2.1."

    ::= { sonetSupMediumEntry 1 }

sonetAvailableDays OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      INTEGER (0..32)

    MAX-ACCESS  read-only

    STATUS      current

    DESCRIPTION

       "The number of previous and recent 1-day intervals for which data

        is acutally available.  For a SONET interface which supports n

        previous and recent day intervals, the number of available

        intervals will be n unless the device was brought online within

        the last n complete days, in which case the value will be the

        number of complete day intervals the device has been online.  It

        is also possible that some intervals are unavailable in the case

        where the agent is a proxy."

    REFERENCE   "ANSI T1.231-1997 clause 9.1.2.1."

    ::= { sonetSupMediumEntry 2 }

And for each layer:

sonetSectionDayValidData OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX      TruthValue

    MAX-ACCESS  read-only

    STATUS  current

    DESCRIPTION

       "This variable indicates if the data for this interval is valid."

    REFERENCE   "ANSI T1.231-1997 clause 9.1.2.2."

    ::= { sonetSectionDayEntry 3 }

==============================================

<color><param>0000,8080,0000</param>Ken Chapman               Argon
Networks, Inc.

[email-masked]        25 Porter Road

tel: 978-486-0665 x146    Littleton, MA  01460

fax: 978-486-9379         http://www.Argon.com

</color>==============================================