Subject: resend - [Fwd: new topic - optical mib]

From: Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:03:53 -0500

ooops. original posting had an incorrect from address
the correct address is

Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: new topic - optical mib
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:05:30 -0500
From: Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]
BCC: [email-masked]

Hello 

I'd like to propose a new topic for the AToM MIB WG, an SNMP MIB for
Optical Network Mgt.  currently i'm leading a team at Lucent that is
writing a draft inspired by the work done by the ITU-T SG-15.  The
standards are in ITU-T speak (i.e. CMISE), and it seems like it would be
important for the IETF side (SNMP) of the universe as well.  It also
seems appropriate to make it open as well.

The relevant ITU-T documents are G.709, G.798, and the G.87x series. 
Altho some are not yet complete, most are quite usable.  I can provide
pointers if people want.

The intention is to use RFC-2558, SONET, as a model for a standards
track RFC on Optical Networking, i.e. use of SNMP and other IETF
terminology, style, and format where available and appropriate.

I've informally checked with people I know at other companies and there
was enough interest to pursue the idea with Kaj Tesink, the AToM MIB WG
chair, who suggested that I post to both the AToM and Trunk mailing
lists.

The draft will be submitted to Kaj Tesink, WG chair, by the 17-nov
deadline.  Hopefully there will be enough interest to justify a time
slot at the Dec San Diego meeting.  Perhaps 2 hours would be
appropriate.

thanks
nathan kohn
lucent technologies
+1 978 960 6855