Subject: atommibwg meeting at san diego meeting

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:30:53 -0500

hi all,

in an attempt to wrap up some outstanding topics
and also address the recent optical channel mib proposal
an atommib wg meeting has been scheduled at the upcoming
san diego ietf meeting (http://www.ietf.org/meetings/agenda.html).

i suggest that the draft agenda will be as follows:

draft agenda
- agenda bashing (faye ly)
- supplemental atm mib (faye ly)
- sonet aps mib (jeff johnson, jim kuhfeld)
- proposed optical channel mib (nathan kohn)
- draft revised charter (faye ly)

any comments on this agenda?

a draft revised charter to update the work program
will be posted soon as well.

kaj

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies
Email  [email-masked]
Tel    732.758.5254
Fax    732.758.2269
Postal 331 Newman Springs Rd
        Red Bank, NJ 07701
        USA

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Ron Carmona <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:37:02 -0800

Kaj,

Please let me elaborate on my earlier e-mail request to you (sent about 30
min ago).

I want to support some set of "robust" statistics related to ATM traffic
(both at the ATM (port layer 2) and at the AAL or VC layer as well).  Of
course, RFC1695/2515 is a bit thin on statistics (except perhaps for some
AAL5 stats).

I would prefer not to define my own proprietary MIB definitions as we are
Carrier-minded, and my goal is always to support standards and/or
proposed/draft standards.

I'm trying to follow some analysis path in my search for "accepted" set(s)
of ATM statistics.  I need to investigate such MIBs as Loop Emulation
Service (LES), M4 SNMP, etc., and then make some choices.

...so, I am wondering if the "supplemental atm mib" mentioned in your
earlier e-mail is something that I am not yet familiar with?...

If you have any suggestions, I would surely appreciate them.

Thanks to all,

Ron Carmona
(805) 553-9680 x350
[email-masked]
1.3.6.1.4.1.5059

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Kaj Tesink [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Friday, November 10, 2000 2:31 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Cc:	[email-masked]; Jim Kuhfeld; Nathan Kohn
Subject:	atommibwg meeting at san diego meeting

hi all,

draft agenda

kaj

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies

---

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:45:57 -0500

Hi Ron, you're quite right and I think that the 14th revision that Faye 
just posted has the
statistics that you're looking for. Pl post any comments to the list
before the san diego meeting as we're trying to wrapup this spec.

kaj

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies

---

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:17:32 -0500

hi all,

some additional details on draft agenda en revised charter

draft agenda
- agenda bashing (faye ly)
- supplemental atm mib (faye ly)
   goal - wrapup the supplemental atm mib
          * version 14 has been mailed out; this version has
            been based on quality review (thanks gary!) and
            subsequent minor fixes
          * proposals for major additions should
            be deferred to future work
          * other major comments should be accompanied
            by specific detailed text or proposal
          * minor comments to be identified
          * wg to decide whether spec is ready for submission
            to ADs for processing as Proposed Standard
- sonet aps mib (jeff johnson, jim kuhfeld)
   goal - wrapup the sonet aps mib
          * new version has been mailed out
          * any major comments should be accompanied
            by specific detailed text or proposal
          * minor comments to be identified
          * if possible a quality reviewer for the wg should be
            identified
          * wg to decide whether spec is in principle (after quality review)
            ready for submission to ADs for processing as Proposed Standard
- proposed optical channel mib (nathan kohn)
   goal - decide whether the proposed optical mib work
          should be undertaken and whether the proposed direction
          (a mib module a la 2558) is acceptable
          * proposal for this work has been mailed out
          * strawman version will be mailed out
- draft revised charter (faye ly) (see attached for a draft revision)
   goal - decide on draft revised charter
          * wrapup suppl atm and sonet aps modules
          * start the optical mib work
          * maintain previous atm and sonet/sdh mibs
          * maintain trunk mibs (i.e., merge trunkmib and atommib work)
          * decide on draft timelines

any comments on all this?
please read the drafts before the meeting and send any comments to the list.

kaj

---------------------------------------------------------------

draft revised atommib charter

Description of Working Group:

The AToM MIB Working Group is chartered to:
1.Complete the ATM Supplemental MIB, which defines additional sets of
   ATM managed objects beyond those defined in RFC2515, to reflect growing
   experience and industry requirements for management of ATM.
2.Complete the SONET Linear APS MIB, which defines additional sets of
   SONET managed objects beyond those defined in RFC2558, to reflect growing
   experience and industry requirements for management of
   SONET Automatic Protection Switching.
2.Evaluate and define managed objects for optical channels and interfaces.
3.Maintain the existing specifications for ATM management (RFC2512-2515).
4.Maintain the existing specification for SONET/SDH management (RFC2558).
5.Maintain other trunk-mib specifications (i.e., for DS0 - DS3-E3,
   RFC2493-2496).

The objects defined by the working group will be consistent with the
Internet-standard Management framework.

Goals and Milestones:

Nov 2000  Post an revised Internet-Draft of the ATM Supplemental MIB.

Nov 2000  Post an revised Internet-Draft of the SONET APS MIB.

Mar 2001  Submit the ATM Supplemental to the IESG for consideration as a 
Proposed Standard.

Mar 2001  Submit the SONET APS MIB to the IESG for consideration as a 
Proposed Standard.

Nov 2000  Begin developing OpticalMIB Internet-Draft for discussion.

Jan 2001  Revised OpticalMIB Internet-Draft and make available for discussion.

Oct 2001  Submit OpticalMIB Internet-Draft to IESG for standards track 
evaluation.

Jun 2001  Report on implementation experience on RFC2493-2496 and RFC2512-2515

Oct 2001  Submit any needed revisions of RFC2493-2496 and RFC2512-2515 to 
the IESG
           for consideration of standards track advancement as appropriate.

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies

---

From: Ron Carmona <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:33:25 -0800

Hi Kaj,

Thanks so much for your response...I am now reviewing version 15 of the atm
supplemental MIB and, at first glance, it looks like just what I need.  (Now
what will I ever do with the proprietary MIB definitions that my SVC
developers have proposed and already implemented?!?!  This will be quite a
migration effort for my company!)

I was the prime MIB developer for Micom Communications that was bought by
Nortel around 1996.  Now, for the last year, I have taken over the MIB
development here at Accelerated Networks, Inc. (ANI).

We have recently implemented RFC2662 (ADSL) and the SONET APS draft MIB.
Over the past several years, I have occasionally submitted suggestions to
various Working Group committees, including some recent changes to the APS
MIB.  However, I have never attended any of the WG conferences.  In fact,
I'm not really familiar with the logistics, etc., for getting involved.  I
am very interested in the upcoming San Diego meeting...I'd like to get my
feet wet.

Will you please forward me any details as to exact dates and times...and who
is really invited (i.e., may I attend also)?

Again, thanks for your support.  My goal is to steer ANI away from
proprietary MIB definitions and towards the complete use of standards (and
draft/proposed standards).

Ron Carmona
(805) 553-9680 x350

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Kaj Tesink [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Sunday, November 12, 2000 8:46 AM
To:	Ron Carmona
Cc:	[email-masked]; Jim Kuhfeld; Nathan Kohn; 'Kaj Tesink';
[email-masked]
Subject:	RE: atommibwg meeting at san diego meeting

kaj

Kaj Tesink
Telcordia Technologies