Subject: RFC 2558 ( sonet mib ) question

From: "Nolish, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 10:58:20 -0500

Do the values in the pathCurrentStatus variable indicate defects or
failures?

For example, there's a bit in that variable that represents sonetPathSTSAIS,
set when there's a path AIS condition on the interface.

According to the mib, an AIS defect is detected when H1 and H2 are set to
all 1s for three contiguous frames, and cleared under one of two conditions:

1) STS Pointer set to inverted for 1 frame

or

2) pointer set to normal for 3 contiguous frames.

An AIS failure is declared when an AIS defect persists for 2.5 +/- 0.5
seconds and is cleared when the defect is absent for 10 +/- 0.5 seconds.

Does the sonetPathSTSAIS bit represent the state of the AIS defect or the
AIS failure?

I have analogous questions for the other status bits at the other levels of
the sonet mib ( low_level, vt ) and for other physical layer mibs ( ds1,
ds3)

Kevin Nolish
<mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:49:57 -0800 (PST)

> Do the values in the pathCurrentStatus variable indicate defects or

They indicate defects, as the DESCRIPTION clause implies.

> the sonet mib ( low_level, vt ) and for other physical layer mibs ( ds1,

All of the sonetXYZCurrentStatus objects indicate defects.  The language in
the DESCRIPTION clauses is similar for all of them.

I'll let someone else answer for the DS1 and DS3 MIBs.

Mike