Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-atommib-rfc2496bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 07:42:49 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the AToM MIB Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS3/E3 
                          Interface Type
	Author(s)	: O. Nicklass
	Filename	: draft-ietf-atommib-rfc2496bis-01.txt
	Pages		: 67
	Date		: 2002-9-5
	
This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management
Information Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in
the Internet community.  In particular, it describes objects used for
managing DS3 and E3 interfaces.  This document is a companion
document with Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS0,
DS1/E1/DS2/E2 and SONET/SDH Interface Types, RFC2494 [25], RFC2495
[17] and RFC2558 [18].
This memo specifies a MIB module in a manner that is both compliant
to the SNMPv2 SMI, and semantically identical to the peer SNMPv1
definitions.
This memo does not specify a standard for the Internet community.
This document entirely replaces RFC 2495.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atommib-rfc2496bis-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-atommib-rfc2496bis-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atommib-rfc2496bis-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:06:00 -0700 (PDT)

> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-atommib-rfc2496bis-01.txt

Hi Orly,

I've checked this draft and it appears to have all the changes I
requested for alignment with 2493/2493bis except the following:

***************
*** 2571,2584 ****
  
            dsx3FarEndIntervalCESs OBJECT-TYPE
                SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
                MAX-ACCESS  read-only
                STATUS  current
                DESCRIPTION
                        "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                        C-bit Errored Seconds encountered by a DS3
                        interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                        minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
!                       a proxy and valid data is not available, return
                        noSuchInstance."
                ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 3 }
  
--- 2571,2584 ----
  
            dsx3FarEndIntervalCESs OBJECT-TYPE
                SYNTAX  PerfIntervalCount
                MAX-ACCESS  read-only
                STATUS  current
                DESCRIPTION
                        "The counter associated with the number of Far End
                        C-bit Errored Seconds encountered by a DS3
                        interface in one of the previous 96, individual 15
                        minute, intervals. In the case where the agent is
!                       a proxy and data is not available, return
                        noSuchInstance."
                ::= { dsx3FarEndIntervalEntry 3 }

The suggested change is the removal of the word "valid".  Note that
this would put things back to the way they are in RFC 2496.

Thanks,

Mike

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:21:56 -0700 (PDT)

Orly,

I just ran an smidiff check on the DS3 MIB and the following message
caught my eye:

DS3-MIB.my:1504 [3] range of type used in `dsx3FracIndex' changed from
`(1..2147483647)' to `(0..2147483647)'

I believe that you changed the wrong object.  According to the
mailing list archive, dsx3FracIfIndex was supposed to have
zero included in its range in order to make its SYNTAX
consistent with its description, and I agree with that.
dsx3FracIndex, on the other hand, is a table index and
should not be allowed to have the value zero.

Regards,

Mike