Subject: RE: AToM MIB WG Meeting Summary

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

>>>>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Orly Nicklass wrote:
Orly> There were only 3 TC with no sufficient feedback:
Orly> AtmIlmiNetworkPrefix, AtmInterfaceType and
Orly> AtmSigDescrParamIndex. AtmAddr had a single reporting user.

I presume that what this means is that only those three TCs had
reports of at least two implementations.  That's interesting.

In order to get a more complete picture of where the TCs in RFC 2514
are being used, I did a content search of the IETF RFCs (using the
search tool at http://www.rfc-editor.org/extendedsearch.html) and
went through all of the ATM Forum MIB modules (plain text files in
the ftp directory ftp://ftp.atmforum.com/pub/approved-specs/ with
'mib' in the file name) looking for the names of the TCs.  The
results are listed below.  Note that only the spec containing the
latest version of a given MIB module is listed;  obsolete versions
have been omitted.

AtmAddr:
rfc2417.txt                     IPATM-IPMC-MIB
rfc2512.txt                     ATM-ACCOUNTING-INFORMATION-MIB
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB
af-cs-0173.000.mib              ATM-REROUTING-MIB
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmConnCastType:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB

AtmConnKind:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB

AtmIlmiNetworkPrefix:
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmInterfaceType:
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmServiceCategory:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB

AtmSigDescrParamIndex:
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmTrafficDescrParamIndex:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
af-pnni-0055.002.mib            PNNI-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmVcIdentifier:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
rfc2955.txt                     FR-ATM-PVC-SERVICE-IWF-MIB
rfc3295.txt                     GSMP-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmVpIdentifier:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB
rfc2955.txt                     FR-ATM-PVC-SERVICE-IWF-MIB
rfc3295.txt                     GSMP-MIB
af-cs-0141.000.mib              ATM-TRACE-MIB
draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-19.txt  ATM2-MIB

AtmVorXAdminStatus:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB

AtmVorXLastChange:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB

AtmVorXOperStatus:
rfc2515.txt                     ATM-MIB

I'll note in passing that RFC 2320, which contains the IPOA-MIB,
has its own TCs for AtmAddr and AtmConnKind (using names prefixed
with Ipoa);  when this module is advanced on the standards track,
it might be worthile to consider deprecating those specialized TCs
and using AtmAddr and AtmConnKind instead.

Orly> Addressing ATMF specifically for additional reports on all 4
Orly> ATM-RFCs is a good idea.

It might also be a good idea to send that same request to the
mailing lists of the WGs responsible for IPATM-IPMC-MIB (ion -- now
concluded), FR-ATM-PVC-SERVICE-IWF-MIB (frnetmib -- also concluded),
and GSMP-MIB (gsmp -- still active).

>>>>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, C. M. Heard wrote:
C> [S]everal of the ATM Forum MIB modules import things from the
C> ATM-TC-MIB (RFC 2514) and the ATM-MIB (RFC 2515), and so any
C> revision we make could have impact there.  It would probably be a
C> good idea to attempt to solicit implementation feedback from ATM
C> Forum members before any decision is made to deprecate
C> unimplemented objects and TCs.

That also applies to the several IETF MIB modules as well.  In order
to show what could be affected, I've included an attachment that
lists by module (for all IETF and ATM Forum MIB modules) everything
that is imported from the ATM-TC-MIB and the ATM-MIB.

Regards,

Mike Heard