Subject: Day counters

From: "Faye Ly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:05:23 -0800

Hi,

I was going through the Optical MIB and other MIBs trying to find a
consistent way of displaying day counters.  According to the Optical
MIB, current day counter is based on the calendar time of the box and
previous day also.  This is all very clear but now I go back to the T1,
T3, and SONET mib and found various support:

T1 and T3 supports Total counter which is really the last 24 hours or
last 96 intervals.  

Sonet MIB doesn't support day counter.

I always thought Total is the total since agent is up and day counter
should be based on the calendar time.  Is it worth the effort to come up
with a generic perf MIB for T1, T3 and SONET?

Thanks.

-faye

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:41:24 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Faye Ly wrote:
> I was going through the Optical MIB and other MIBs trying to
> find a consistent way of displaying day counters.  According to
> the Optical MIB, current day counter is based on the calendar
> time of the box and previous day also.  This is all very clear
> but now I go back to the T1, T3, and SONET mib and found various
> support:
> 
> T1 and T3 supports Total counter which is really the last 24
> hours or last 96 intervals.
> 
> I always thought Total is the total since agent is up and day
> counter should be based on the calendar time.  Is it worth the
> effort to come up with a generic perf MIB for T1, T3 and SONET?

Faye,

It is indeed true that we'd need to have supplemental MIBs for DS1,
DS3, and SONET in order to support everything in ANSI T1.231.  The
existing MIB modules don't support 1-day counts nor do they support
thresholding and alerting.

That said, let me point out that there have been at least two
attempts to provide these things in the past (one by Maria Greene
and collaborators circa 1996, one by Ken Chapman circa 1998), but
these efforts have withered on the vine owing to insufficient
interest.

Regards,

Mike