Subject: How to (and how not to) create subject lines

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:58:04 -0700

Greetings again. As you have possibly noticed, the first versions of 
our two WG items were just published. Some of you are probably 
reading them right now; great! Some of you will even want to respond 
to what is in the documents: great!

When you do respond, please create a succinct and useful subject line 
for you message. Do *not* simply reply to the original message that 
said that the documents were available. That is, to *not* reply to 
the message whose subject is "I-D 
ACTION:draft-ietf-atompub-format-00.txt" and so on.

This may seem obvious, but it is incredibly common in the IETF for 
people to reply to the I-D ACTION announcements with comments about 
the documents. Someone who is scanning the subject lines has no idea 
that such messages say anything useful, and such messages are often 
ignored.

And, having said that, please start discussing! And, of course, 
please keep discussing the topics-of-the-week from the issuese list.

Topics-of-the-week (for this week):
    <http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg06348.html>
Issues list:
    <http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/AtomPubIssuesList>

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium