Subject: PacePersonLinks created

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:01:18 +1000

http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PacePersonLinks

----------------------------------------------------------

Abstract:

Replace <url> in <author> and <contributor> with <link>. Allow multiple.
Allow generic relationship.

Rationale:

Generally speaking, URIs are preferred to be in attributes.

While remaining optional, it might prove useful to allow some
machine-readable processing of resources related to person constructs. For
example: large feed aggregator sites like pubsub or bloglines or syndic8
could extract all the feeds which have foaf resources linked to their
authors and then at least make that list available for other foaf-eating
services to do as they wont.

<author>
    <name>...</name>
    <link href="..." rel="resume" type="application/pdf" title="hire me!" />
    <link href="http://friendster..."
                rel="profile" type="text/html" title="date me!" />
    <link href="..." rel="blog" type="text/html" title="read me!" />
    <link href="..." rel="foaf" type="application/foaf+xml" title="foaf!" />
</author>

The 'allow generic relationship' is to provide the same generic linking
functionality of the existing <url> construct, and could be done by simply
omitting the 'rel' attribute. Thus this:

    <author>
        <name>...</name>
        <url>....</url>
    </author>

would be written as:

    <author>
        <name>...</name>
        <link href="..." />
    </author>

It still provides the same meaning - it "conveys a URI associated with the
author". Implementations would process it the same as they would have
processed <url>. For the occasions where @rel is specified then an
implemention could either ignore @rel (treating it the same as the generic
<url>), pass it to the user to process (eg. provide a tool-tip that says
"[resume]" on the link), or do something special pertaining to that
particular @rel value.

----------------------------------------------------------

e.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:52:51 -0700

Sounds reasonable. It lets folks define extension relationships while 
making the generic relationship trivial to implement.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium