Subject: Withdrawn: PaceShouldBeWellFormed

From: Mark Pilgrim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:44:33 -0400

http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceShouldBeWellFormed

After careful consideration and discussion with the author of RFC 3023
and others on this list, I am withdrawing this proposal. It is
inappropriate for Atom to redefine the behavior of a media type that
isn't ours. Apache has fixed their problem (latest version of 1.3 and
2.0 now default to "application/xml" for .xml files), so this mess
will sort itself out in five to ten years. If you can't live with
XML's rules in the meantime, then you shouldn't have chosen XML.

-- 
Cheers,
-Mark

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:22:04 +0200

>XML's rules in the meantime, then you shouldn't have chosen XML.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only parts of this Pace which might 
conflict with RFC 3023 are sections 6.1:4:2 and 6.1:5.
I suggest this Pace stays on the table, with those parts elided. Baby, 
bathwater and all that.

Cheers,
Danny.

-- 

Raw
http://dannyayers.com

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:44:47 +0200

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 11:22:04 +0200, Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> I suggest this Pace stays on the table

I agree. I think we need it, seeing that IIS 6 (on Windows Server 2003)  
still serves '.xml' as 'text/xml'. I don't have much faith in seeing  
'.xml' files served as 'application/xml' on that server any time soon,  
either. An much less '.atom' files served as 'application/atom+xml'.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»