Subject: Re: PacePutIpAddrInEntry

From: Bill de hÓra <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 09:40:51 +0100

Robert Sayre wrote:

> It does seem odd that Mark N. is saying that an IP address is not useful as
> an identity datapoint, but also suggesting that it constitutes an additional
> privacy concern.

What I don't understand is why ipaddr should to be an element in the 
format.

As presented, it's data for reverse-engineering an identity, not 
identity.  For a Person construct, IP address consitutes a 
fantastically "weak" identifier - you use it as evidence to help 
make a guess as to who wrote/did something (an abductive inference 
in logic jargon).

Paul Hoffman mentioned an alerting use case. I have work lined up 
that will use Atom for just that. In designing it I have been using 
   atom:name not atom:ipaddr.

I suspect use cases for ipaddr falls under security and 
countermeasures, not identity.

cheers
Bill