Subject: [Atom] Issued "publicly" - It doesn't always happen

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:48:53 EDT

It seems to me that there is an assumption being made currently about 
"issued" which is not necessarily correct.

One source of information I use plans to have password protected information 
feeds. By design those information feeds will never be *publicly* issued, yet 
they will be issued to those authorised to access that information.

Since the definition of "issued" on 
http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceEntryDates refers to public availability it seems to me that some other term is 
more appropriate.

"Formally" perhaps? "Intentionally"? Something else?

Andrew Watt

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:43:57 +0200

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:48:53 EDT, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> One source of information I use plans to have password protected  
> information feeds. By design those information feeds will never be
> *publicly* issued, yet they will be issued to those authorised to
> access that information.

It should probably be more thoroughly specified, but «public» here does  
not necessarily mean «to the world» or «on the internet». It means «not  
only to the author»; that is when the entry was published and made  
available to whatever audience the entry was written for. I will try to  
find a good way to write this into the pace if we can just reach consensus  
on what 'issued' is first. :-)

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»

---

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:03:03 -0700

--On Friday, July 09, 2004 09:48:53 AM -0400 [email-masked] wrote:

> *publicly* issued, yet they will be issued to those authorised to access
> that information.
>
> http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceEntryDates refers to public
> availability it seems to me that some other term is more appropriate.
>

Since we are using the Dublin Core term we really should use the
Dublin Core definition of that term. From the current set of
defined terms (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/):

  Date of formal issuance (e.g., publication) of the resource.

Issuance does not require public access. It can be published to
the intended audience.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect
Verity Ultraseek

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:57:15 -0400

The word publicly was added to the proposal by Asbjørn Ulsberg for no 
discernible reason. The original version has been restored.

Graham Parks