Subject: PaceLinkReflection - Close it

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:43:30 -0700

This Pace baffled me until I mentally reworded the key sentence, which 
should say something like:

If there is an <atom:link rel="alternate"> element inside a feed's 
<atom:head>, and the the <atom:link>'s href= points to an HTML page, 
then the HTML page SHOULD have a autodiscovery link element that 
reflects back to the Atom feed.

I don't agree at all.  I think it's quite possible to publish a feed 
describing changes to someone else's web site, without asking them, and 
I don't think this can possibly impose any obligation on the web site 
to point to the feed.

Close this one. -Tim

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:46:56 +0200

> reflects back to the Atom feed.

This wording makes more sense, yes.

> I don't think this can possibly impose any obligation on the web site to  
> point to the feed.

But SHOULD just says SHOULD. There's still a step up to MUST, and I think  
it's useful to encourage implementors to provide two-way references  
between all representations. I don't think it's a great loss if this pace  
is closed, though, but it would be a nice addition.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»