Subject: Cancelling the WG meeting in San Diego

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:28:58 -0700

Greetings again. After my earlier query asking who was going to be in 
San Diego, I only got two responses. Even if that was off by a factor 
of ten, it seems that having a face-to-face meeting in San Diego 
might not help the WG move forwards, but would cost a lot of people a 
lot of time and money. As I have said before, the purpose of the 
face-to-face meetings is to do things that can't be done on the 
mailing list, but it seems like the mailing list is doing quite well 
and few of the active participants want to go to San Diego.

Tim and I propose that we cancel the WG meeting and just keep doing 
the good work we are doing here. At the same time, Tim and I will be 
giving a presentation about Atompub at the Applications Area meeting 
at the IETF (in the Monday morning time slot). That presentation 
should generate more participation from IETF regulars who have dealt 
with some of the same issues we are dealing with now.

If this potential cancellation is a major concern to anyone, please 
speak up now, or send Tim or me off-line mail. Thanks!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Greg Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:55:22 -0700

Steve Jenson and I are planning to be there for the meeting. It would be a
pain in the butt to spend that time/money to go there and NOT have a
meeting.

-g

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:49:50 +0900

>pain in the butt to spend that time/money to go there and NOT have a

+1

It's not the only reason I'm going to the IETF, but for those who
are going, canceling the meeting after they have booked their flight
and registered and paid the cheaper advanced fee may lead to
serious problems.

Regards,    Martin.

---

From: "John Panzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:06:40 -0700

I'm planning to be there for the meeting; I think it would be useful 
(well, assuming enough other people show up!).

-John Panzer

---

From: Dan Brickley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:30:41 -0400

slight tangent, but do IETF WGs have phone conference, IRC/Jabber etc
meetings at all?

Dan

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:51:07 -0700

>(well, assuming enough other people show up!).

The parenthetical is exactly the problem. It seems that fewer than 
ten currently-active people intend to come. Even if we were having 
problems with lack of momentum or intractable hurdles, I would say we 
would need twice that many to be useful. But we're not having such 
problems (yet!), so having people schlep to a meeting seems wasteful.

>slight tangent, but do IETF WGs have phone conference, IRC/Jabber etc

Phone conferences: no. IRC/Jabber: yes.

--Paul Hoffman, Director