Subject: Use of the NewsML URN by other initiatives

From: "Laurent Le Meur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:34:25 +0200

Good news.

The IPTC members have given a green light to the update of the RFC3085 (NewsML URN).
Four reasons for updating it:
a/ there is no provision for links to the "last revision" of a given news item in the
RFC, but it is widely used.
b/ there is some ambiguity in some wording (in "uniqueness considerations" section).
c/ the NewsML evolution could lead us to deprecate the use of the update flags ('U'
and 'A' markers).
d/ We would like other initiatives (e.g. the Atom community) to be able to use the
NewsML URN in their projects, and so we'd like to relax the scope of the RFC (today
closely associated with NewsML NewsItems).

A new RFC will be presented to the IPTC members at the next meeting, by March 2005.
It could be "active" by mid-2005.

Laurent Le Meur
IPTC NewsML Support WP

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

		DISCLAIMER

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:42:36 +0200

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:34:25 +0200, Laurent Le Meur  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Good news.
>
> [...] We would like other initiatives (e.g. the Atom community) to be
> able to use the NewsML URN in their projects, and so we'd like to relax
> the scope of the RFC (today closely associated with NewsML NewsItems).

This is good news indeed. Thanks for sharing them with the list!

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg    -=|=-     http://virtuelvis.com/quark/
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»