Subject: multiple alternates?

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:18:46 +1000

Spotted in the latest spec [1], but it's not new to this version...

> 5.2  "atom:link" Element
> 
> atom:entry elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link element with a
> rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the same type attribute value.
> 

what if I have multiple alternates, all in text/html, but in different
languages?

according to the spec, this would be in error:

<entry>
   <link rel='alternate' hreflang="en" href="123-en.html" type="text/html/>
   <link rel='alternate' hreflang="fr" href="123-fr.html" type="text/html/>
   <link rel='alternate' hreflang="it" href="123-it.html" type="text/html/>
   ...
</entry>

I propose changing the spec text to:

> atom:entry elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link element with a
> rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the same combination of type
> attribute value and hreflang attribute value.

(do we need a Pace for that?)

e.

[1] http://atompub.org/2004/10/20/draft-ietf-atompub-format-03.html

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:49:54 +0200

> what if I have multiple alternates, all in text/html, but in different

That can't be done at the moment, but this is a problem that should be  
fixed.

>> atom:entry elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link element  
>> with a rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the same combination
>> of type attribute value and hreflang attribute value.

I agree that we shold make this change (maybe with a clearer wording ;),  

> (do we need a Pace for that?)

we probably need a pace, yes.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg    -=|=-     http://virtuelvis.com/quark/
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»