Subject: Re: PaceDateModified

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:16:32 -0700

I think there are a couple of modes for Atom feeds.

One is the cached, loose-consistency, bandwidth-efficient distribution
mode. DateUpdated is exactly what is needed for this. This mode is a
REST architecture approach. Also, most consumers in this mode only
need the most recent content. They do not need an accurate history
of all entries and changes to entries.

The other is database replication or archiving. For this, we care
about a full history, no missed messages, and we need in-entry
copies of anything that is necessary for the HTTP protocol. Fo
that, DateModified is useful. In particular, we must save DateModified
in order to set it in the HTTP header after an archive restore.

These two have different requirements, and we need to address them
separately. We could also split off archiving from database replication,
since archiving is a lot simpler.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Architect, Verity