Subject: Proposal: PaceLinkByLocation

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:53:31 +0100

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceLinkByLocation

Based on Robert Sayre's suggestion yesterday, and my own 
PaceReplaceLinkElement.

Abstract

Replace link element with individual links, but group them within a 
links element. That an extenstion element is a links element is then 
discerned from its location inside the links group.

Rationale

There have been many proposals allowing link extensibility while still 
being able to extract all links from an entry or feed. None of these do 
both well without some other unacceptable tradeoff. This proposal 
allows full and standard use of XML namespace syntax while still 
fulfilling the latter goal, by grouping all of the links together 
inside a links element.

Example:

<atom:head>
    <atom:links>
       <atom:alternate type="text/html" href="http://..." 
title="Alternate representation" />
       <extension:whatever type="what/ever"  href="http://..." title="A 
link of type extenstion:whatever" />
       ...
    </atom:links>
    ...
</atom:head>

Graham