Subject: PaceFeedLink

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:55:34 +0100

First pass (this is what should be on the Wiki - it decided to lock me out):

#pragma section-numbers off

== Abstract ==

Adds a <link> element in <head> pointing to the feed itself, primarily
to enable subscription based on the XML alone.

== Status ==

Open.

== Rationale ==

When processing a HTTP response with a known MIME type for which an
external handler is registered, few browsers pass on the source URI to
the handler. This information will be required by most client
applications, in particular for aggregators to subscribe to the feed.
 
Being able to identify the source of a feed through the feed itself
may also be helpful in provenance tracking.

Moves Atom a little closer to feature-parity with RSS 1.0 (rss:channel resource)

== Proposal ==

An option for the link rel value of "self" to be added to the registry.

The following to be appended to Section 4.2.2 (atom:link inside atom:head):

{{{
atom:head elements SHOULD contain one atom:link element with a rel
attribute value of "self" and SHOULD contain a href attribute with an
absolute URI as its value. This URI SHOULD identify the feed and a
representation exactly equivalent to the feed SHOULD be available
through a HTTP GET on the URI. If the link has a "type" attribute, its
value MUST conform to the Atom MIME type as described in Section 10.
The atom:link element MUST otherwise conform to the definition of a
Link Construct in Section 3.5.
}}}

== Impacts ==

Adds another element to the feed. Adds an entry to the registy.

== Notes ==

----

CategoryProposals 

-- 

http://dannyayers.com