Subject: Enclosure count

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:11:17 -0800

Based on comments here, I revised PaceEnclosuresAndPix to lose the 
one-enclosure-per-entry restriction.  -Tim

---

From: Ray Slakinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:42:58 -0500

Glad to hear it :)  btw can you make one other small change to the doc 
-- Lance said to change size to content-length and it sounded like you 
agreed.  I think content-length makes more sense as well.

>> 3) On the 'size' attribute.  'size', 'length' and 'content-length'
>> have been proposed ('length' is in the PaceLinkRelated [2].  I prefer
>> (content-)length, as size appears ambiguous.
>
> Oops, right.   -Tim

[-----]
Ray Slakinski
Fingerprint: C8AD 4847 2DA8 3469 079D  13F9 135D F0CF 1CFC FD03

Blog: http://ddll.sdf1.net

Adolescence, n.:
  	The stage between puberty and adultery.

---

From: David Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:59:49 -0500

RSS 2.0 DOES have a one enclosure per entry restriction, so we're
breaking RSS2 compatibility. Why wouldn't multiple enclosures be
multiple posts?

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:08:18 -0800

> agreed.  I think content-length makes more sense as well.

Oops, right.  I used "length", same as RSS2. -Tim

---

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:31:19 -0700

> breaking RSS2 compatibility. Why wouldn't multiple enclosures be

Multiple enclosures per entry would make it impossible to translate 
some Atom feeds to RSS 2.0, but wouldn't affect translation of RSS 2.0 
to Atom.  I think the latter is the one we're concerned with.

---

From: Sam Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:59:07 -0500

> breaking RSS2 compatibility. Why wouldn't multiple enclosures be

Where does it say that RSS 2.0 has a one enclosure per entry restriction?

There have been discussions about whether or not RSS has such a 
restriction.  Some of these discussions took place on the feedvalidator 
mailing list.  Rogers Cadenhead (a member of the RSS Advisory Board) 
hosted some on his weblog.

The current state of RSS enclosures seems to be: there are some tools 
that produce multiple enclosures per item.  And there are some tools 
which can't handle multiple enclosures per item.  Both set of tools can 
point to the spec to prove that they are "right".

http://www.reallysimplesyndication.com/comments?u=reallySimpleSyndic&p=221&link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reallysimplesyndication.com%2F2004%2F12%2F21%23a221
http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/comment/2424
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6237032&forum_id=37467
http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/comment/2425

- Sam Ruby

---

From: David Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:09:19 -0500

Well, I had only read one side of the debate, so my information was
incomplete. My apologies, and thanks Sam for the response.