Subject: format-04 HTML, diffs

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:58:45 -0500

http://www.atompub.org/2005/01/10/draft-ietf-atompub-format-04-from-3.diff.html
http://www.atompub.org/2005/01/10/draft-ietf-atompub-format-04.html

There are some editorial issues brought up on-list recently that aren't 
addressed here.
I wanted to get the draft out so folks facing deadlines could work 
against it.

Robert Sayre

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:07:15 +0000

This sentence took me a long time to figure out its intended meaning:
"Escaped markup is interpreted as a text representation of markup, and 
MUST NOT be interpreted as markup itself."

By "Escaped markup" don't you just mean "text"? Or  "text containing 
characters sometimes used for markup"? Currently the phrasing boils 
down to "Stuff that is markup isn't markup".

Similarly:
"The HTML markup must be escaped; for example, "<br>" as "&lt;br>".  
The HTML markup SHOULD be such that it example, "<br>" as "&lt;br>"."

is mixing layers quite a bit. "The HTML markup must appear as text [in 
the infoset], such that it appears escaped in the XML source".

Graham

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:08:48 -0800

> the infoset], such that it appears escaped in the XML source".

Good idea I think... rather than the current convolutions around 
escaping and levels, talk about what ends up in the infoset.  Ought to 
be clearer and more accurate. -Tim

---

From: Bill de hÓra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:49:20 +0000

> be clearer and more accurate. -Tim

I prefer Robert's approach - it tells me what I need to do rather than 
offer definitions. I suggest these variations:

"Escaped markup MUST be treated as text and not interpreted as markup."

"HTML markup MUST be escaped so it appears as text (pcdata) within Atom 
XML. For example <br/> needs to be converted to &lt;br/&gt;"*

To elaborate:

1. I thought we agreed to specify the format in syntactic terms.

2. Specifying in terms of the Infoset doesn't help guide me in terms of 
what I actually need to do to drill HTML through Atom.

cheers
Bill

* I'm not overly fond of the short cut escaping style - &lt;br/>;

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:57:36 +0900

>
 >Good idea I think... rather than the current convolutions around escaping 
and levels, talk about what ends up in the infoset.  Ought to be clearer 
and more accurate. -Tim

Having some examples (of XML source, not infoset)
would probably also help a lot.

Regards,    Martin.