Subject: RSS to Atom migration

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 01:55:38 +0000

I don't know about anyone else but my hope for Atom is that soon after 
its release the whole RSS mess is left to sink into the sea. With this 
in mind, should we define a tag that can be put into RSS feeds so that 
client software can automatically switch over to the Atom version? I'd 
suggest reusing the link/alternate tag (in our namespace of course).

Graham

---

From: "Arve Bersvendsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:26:27 +0100

> suggest reusing the link/alternate tag (in our namespace of course).

I'd rather suggest using looking at section 14.1 of HTTP. Serve feeds  
using content-negotiation, and set q values so that Atom-enabled software  
will get Atom feeds.

(Having said that, it seems like aggregator authors, apart from a select  
few don't care about what HTTP is. I'm currently considering blocking  
bloglines because they fail to respect HTTP 301 responses)

-- 
Arve Bersvendsen