Subject: Re: PaceOptionalFeedLink

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 21:16:16 +1000

On 1/5/05 5:03 AM, "Robert Sayre" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> "atom:feed elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link element
> with a rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the same
> combination of type and hreflang attribute values."

how do I then point to both my full content feed *and* my summary only feed
(and just quietly, my titles only feed)?

the above spec text would make this invalid:

<link href="..." type="application/atom+xml" title="full content" />
<link href="..." type="application/atom+xml" title="summary only" />
<link href="..." type="application/atom+xml" title="titles only" />

e.

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:03:41 +0100

> (and just quietly, my titles only feed)?

I hope that you don't. Unless we have a programmatic way of  
describing the differences between those links, the best policy is  
for the publisher to pick one. User intervention isn't always possible.

The spec already contains the requirement:
> atom:feed elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link element  
> with a rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the same type  
> attribute value. atom:feed elements MAY contain additional  
> atom:link elements beyond those described above.

> combination of type and hreflang attribute values."

So, if accepted, we'd have 2 conflicting rules. The Pace needs an edit)

Graham

---

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 10:34:48 -0400

> So, if accepted, we'd have 2 conflicting rules. The Pace needs an edit)

D'oh. You're right. I've edited the Pace, to just delete the MUST.

Robert Sayre

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 21:09:42 +0200

+1 for nor requiring the link element.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Kevin Mesiab" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 22:38:36 -0600

In regards to atom:source construct:

This, to me, seems like adding verbosity to the feed that does not
necessarily need to be there.  The attributes specified in the source
construct are the 'meta' elements of any feed.  Why not make the source
element a URI to the resources feed and implementers who want the info can
deference the link.

-Kevin Mesiab
 Founder, Electric Diary Publishing
 208-863-4235

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Robert Sayre
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 8:35 AM
To: Graham
Cc: Eric Scheid; atom-syntax
Subject: Re: PaceOptionalFeedLink

Robert Sayre

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 21:16:16 +1000

e.