Subject: Re: Atom feed refresh rates

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 13:58:50 +0100

On 4 May 2005, at 1:51 pm, Andy Henderson wrote:

>>>> This is a myth perpetuated by cheapskate bloggers. There's no  
>>>> technical
>>>>
> reason for it beyond "I bought a lousy hosting package".<<<
>
> I don't think so.  Slashdot is just one example of a feed that has
> introduced bandwidth throttling in response to aggregators polling too
> frequently.

But it's the only example I know of, of a large scale site that's  
complained. Note they've never (as far as I know) said that it was  
costing them money or causing them other problems, they've just  
arbitrarily complained about "poorly written" programs and decreed  
how often people may check their feed. There's no evidence of a  
technical problem here, just a bunch of uptight twunts telling other  
people how to write their software.

Graham