Subject: PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct2 posted

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:23:03 +0100

http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct2

== Abstract ==

Codify the intended use of content and summary clearly, but more  
subtly than the original PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct.

== Status ==

Newly posted

== Rationale ==

PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct correctly point out the current  
definitions are too vague:

The "atom:summary" element is a Text construct that conveys a short  
summary, abstract or excerpt of an entry.
The "atom:content" element either contains or links to the content of  
the entry.

The aim of this proposal is to use similar language in both  
definitions so they can be more easily compared, especially re: the  
best location of truncated content.

== Proposal ==

In 4.2.13, replace:
The "atom:summary" element is a Text construct that conveys a short  
summary, abstract or excerpt of an entry.

with:
The "atom:summary" element is a Text construct that conveys a short  
summary, abstract or excerpt (such as truncated content) of an entry.

In 4.1.3 replace:
The "atom:content" element either contains or links to the content of  
the entry

with:
The "atom:content" element either contains or links to the full  
content of the entry

== Impacts ==

Alternate to PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct

== Notes ==

The new wording of 4.2.13 is a bit awkward, but since truncated  
content is by far the most common form of excerpt, its probably worth  
mentioning specifically.

---

From: Kevin Marks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 00:24:42 -0700

-1

This is insufficiently explicit. We need to make implementers stop and 
think which element to use, rather than just copy/pasting their RSS 
generation code into both. The requirement the summary and content be 
different would do that; stating it unequivocally as in 
PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct would also.
PaceContentAndSummaryDistinct2 requires them to grasp both definitions, 
compare them and realise that we mean them to be different from a close 
textual reading.