Subject: ByLines, NewsML and interop with other syndication formats

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 14:38:20 -0400

I've spent an interesting day in Amsterdam at the IPTC News Summit and had a
chance to talk about standards convergence issues with various folk in the
IPTC (owners of NewsML, NITF, EventsML, SportsML, ANPA, etc.). These folk
seem sincerely interested in getting some better worked out compatibility
between things like NewsML and Atom.

            I'd like to suggest that we explicitly invite the IPTC folk to
propose a set of Atom extensions (that would include ByLine) with the
intention that these extensions would incorporate their detailed knowledge
of the publishing world and facilitate the interchange or translation of
documents between NewsML, NITF, etc. formats and Atom.

                        bob wyman

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:34:07 -0700

At 2:38 PM -0400 5/25/05, Bob Wyman wrote:
>             I'd like to suggest that we explicitly invite the IPTC 
>folk to propose a set of Atom extensions (that would include ByLine) 
>with the intention that these extensions would incorporate their 
>detailed knowledge of the publishing world and facilitate the 
>interchange or translation of documents between NewsML, NITF, etc. 
>formats and Atom.

The IETF can't formally do this, but wearing my co-chair hat I'll 
happily +1 that.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium