Subject: Re: Atom feed synchronization

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:24:09 -0600

On Thursday, June 16, 2005, at 04:37  PM, James M Snell wrote:
> Scenario: A content source is updated 100 times per hour.  The Atom 
> feed currently only displays the 20 most recent entries.  Users who 
> are not checking the feed every 10 minutes or so are missing entries.  
> How do we address this?

1) Tell users to poll more frequently--if they don't, that's their 
problem
2) Make the feed longer than 20 entries
2a) If the feed is SOMETIMES updated 100 times per hour, but sometimes 
only twice per hour, dynamically set the feed length--when regenerating 
the feed, include all entries updated in the last hour or so, down to 
some minimum number
3) Push instead of pull
4) Create a new link @rel to point to the next X entries and keep a 
series of static documents containing the older entries

None of the above would require dynamic generation of the feed or 
returning a different static document based on request headers or query 
parameters.

---

From: Bill de hÓra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:49:23 +0100

Antone Roundy wrote:
> 1) Tell users to poll more frequently--if they don't, that's their problem

Doesn't solve the problem, probably makes things worse.

> 2) Make the feed longer than 20 entries

Same as 1)

> the feed, include all entries updated in the last hour or so, down to 

Same as 2)

> 3) Push instead of pull

This works.

> series of static documents containing the older entries

Might work, but requires at least as much extra mechanism as a query param.

cheers
Bill