Subject: Moving along with protocol work

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:12:21 -0700

<co-chair-mode>

1. For the time being, we'll continue to have the protocol  
discussions on the atom-protocol mailing list.

2. Sam is working on the PubIssuesList, stand by for word from him.

3. We're happy to see good discussion about collections and entry- 
status and so on.  The rules haven't changed: nothing can really be  
decided officially until there's a Pace with specific wording  
suggestions.  So there's nothing wrong with this kind of informal  
discussion, but do please start to think about getting the good ideas  
captured in Paces.

4. Paul has just requested a change to the WG milestones, and Scott  
has approved them:

   Done          First Atom feed format Internet Draft
   Done          First Atom editing protocol Internet Draft
   Done          Request Last Call for Atom feed format
Jun 05          Submit Atom feed format to IESG for consideration as  
a Proposed Standard
Oct 05          Request Last Call for Atom editing protocol
Nov 05          Submit Atom editing protocol to IESG for  
consideration as a Proposed Standard

</co-chair-mode>

---

From: Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:37:34 -0700 (PDT)

I see that some of the ideas are coming full circle to
what I had posted a few weeks ago on per-collection
list of MIME types. I can take a stab at the Pace, but
I'm very new to this process (think: pre-green, not
even rooted).

Can you point to a link describing maybe the process
and specifically the structure, format, and submission
guidelines for official documents such as a Pace.

I (think I) would use my previous post, which included
example text and example use along with a modification
of an existing example, as a basis for the document.

Greg Smith

> consideration as a Proposed Standard

__________________________________ 
Discover Yahoo! 
Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out! 
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:56:01 -0700

> guidelines for official documents such as a Pace.

Don't know of such a link, so here's how it works.

Well, go to the wiki (starting at http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/ 
pie/AtomPubIssuesList) and read a few Paces to get a feel for it.   
What I usually do is find a Pace that's suggesting changes similar in  
flavor to the ones I have in mind, hit "Edit this page", copy, the  
source code, hit "cancel", then if I want to create  
PaceTimsBrainstorm  I go and edit http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/ 
pie/TimsBrainstorm, the Wiki notices that it doesn't exist, I hit  
"create this page" and paste in all the source I copied from the  
previous page, edit it, and there you go.

Exception: if it's a big complicated hairy thing, I take the saved  
source and paste it into my desktop text editor and fix it up there  
before I paste it into the new page.

If you know some other people on the list who you think might agree  
with you, contact them have them take a look at the Pace and suggest  
improvements.

Once you've done that, send a message to the list saying "I just  
posted PaceXXX".  Some people actually copy the text of the Pace into  
the email, others just post a link,.

Then duck.

-Tim