Subject: feeds, ids and categories

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:12:50 +0200

I was wondering if I had understood this correctly: a feed can have  
entries in a number of categories. Each of these categories may  
themselves have feeds. These category feeds will all have the same id  
as the main feed, though they may have different titles and subtitles  
to reflect the category in which they found themselves.

Henry

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 07:30:45 -0700

On Jun 6, 2005, at 6:12 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> themselves have feeds. These category feeds will all have the same  
> id as the main feed,

No!  A feed ID is a *unique* identifier.  My 'golfing' feed is  
entirely distinct from my 'chemistry' feed, although they may share  
some entries. -Tim

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 00:47:10 +1000

On 6/6/05 11:12 PM, "Henry Story" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> These category feeds will all have the same id
> as the main feed

maybe not.

would every feed at nature.com have the same id?

e.

---

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:53:10 +0200

On 6 Jun 2005, at 16:30, Tim Bray wrote:
>> I was wondering if I had understood this correctly: a feed can  
>> have entries in a number of categories. Each of these categories  
>> may themselves have feeds. These category feeds will all have the  
>> same id as the main feed,
>>
>

Phew! Great. Thanks. That is what I was hoping.

Because I was going to say that if two category feeds could share the  
same
id and have different titles, then this id would  (to stick to our
resource/representation distinction introduced in the entry id  
discussion of
Atom entries) simultaneously have two different representations of  
the same type,
and so would have a very different behavior to the ids we have  
associated with
entries.

Henry Story