Subject: AtomPubIssuesList for 2005/09/05

From: Sam Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:35:23 -0400

A lot of work is going on in the area of collections - in at least two
different directions.  Depending on which direction we select, a number
of existing paces may become obsolete.  Accordingly, I'm scheduling:

  PaceAppDocuments2
  PaceSimplifyCollections

And the two paces prereqed by PaceAppDocuments2:

  PaceAppDocuments
  PaceCollectionClasses

As always, discussion of these paces should occur on the atom protocol
list, with a subject line identifying which pace you are expressing an
opinion on.

- Sam Ruby

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:50:50 -0700

PaceAppDocuments is generally nothing more than a proposal to rework the 
protocol spec so that it's structure and organization is consistent with 
the Format spec.  That said, there are a couple of new things that it 
introduces:

1. xml:base in collection documents.  If we go with the 
PaceSimplifyCollections approach, this may be unnecessary.  If we stick 
with the current approach, this should be required
2. xml:lang in collection documents.  this should be a no-brainer

Regarding PaceAppDocuments2 (which I wrote) and PaceCollectionClasses 
(put together by Joe and I), I will gladly retract both in favor of the 
direction of PaceSimplifyCollections with the caveat that I believe 
PaceSimplifyCollections needs quite a bit more work before it is 
entirely acceptable.  I will post a separate note detailing what I think 
needs to be done to fix PaceSimplifyCollections. 

- James

---

From: Joe Gregorio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:56:12 -0400

Obviously I'm +1 on PaceSimplifyCollections.

I believe something like PaceAppDocuments is needed even if
PaceSimplifyCollections is accepted, so +1 with the 
caveat of it being rewritten to accomodate PaceSimplifyCollections
if that pace is accepted.

In writing PaceSimplifyCollections I tried to incorporate
the work that James and I did on PaceCollectionClasses.
I believe PaceSimplifyCollections includes all the functionality
of PaceCollectionClasses, please let me know if I am wrong.

   Thanks,
   -joe

-- 
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:36:09 -0700

>if that pace is accepted.
+1

>of PaceCollectionClasses, please let me know if I am wrong.
+1.

- James