Subject: [feedvalidator] Two entries with the same value for atom:updated

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:52:47 +0200

In 
<http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fgreenbytes.de%2Ftech%2Fwebdav%2Fwebdav-ietf.atom>, 
why is the validator complaining about atom:updated elements to be the 
same...? After all, both entries have different atom:id elements...

Confused,

Julian

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:18:57 +0100

If you read the help on that error message you'll see it's quoting directly 
from section 3.3 of the Atom spec:

"Date values SHOULD be as accurate as possible. For example, it would be 
generally inappropriate for a publishing system to apply the same timestamp 
to several entries which were published during the course of a single day."

With a date format that is perfectly capable of representing the time with 
millisecond precision, the chances that two entries in a feed have the exact 
same time are fairly low, unless you're not producing very accurate times 
(which certainly seems to be the case with that feed).

While this isn't strictly an error, it is discouraged, which is why you're 
seeing a warning and not an error.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:38:13 +0200

James Holderness wrote:
> 
> If you read the help on that error message you'll see it's quoting 
> directly from section 3.3 of the Atom spec:
> 
> generally inappropriate for a publishing system to apply the same 
> timestamp to several entries which were published during the course of a 
> single day."
> 
> With a date format that is perfectly capable of representing the time 
> with millisecond precision, the chances that two entries in a feed have 
> the exact same time are fairly low, unless you're not producing very 
> accurate times (which certainly seems to be the case with that feed).

Well, yes. The information source doesn't provide timestamps, just dates.

> ...

Best regards, Julian