Subject: [feedvalidator] &amp;apos; is not HTML

From: Anne van Kesteren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:20:09 +0200

Hi,

I could not find the e-mail address from Sam Ruby that fast so I thought I would
e-mail the list.

<http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fannevankesteren.nl%2Ffeeds%2Fhref>

As Atom 0.3 is deprecated I thought I would update my feeds. As I did not use
anything fancy it was fairly trivial to do only I encountered this bug in the
validator.

I assume it was added to sniff for 'HTML like constructs' only this time the
subject really was "&apos;" and it was not used to double escape for HTML.
Besides that, &apos; is not even a valid entity for HTML 4.

Kind regards,

Anne

-- 
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>

---

From: Graham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:40:00 +0100

> Besides that, &apos; is not even a valid entity for HTML 4.

That's why it says "Warning" instead of "Error".
On the other hand, neither of the sentences following it are  
acceptable to me:

"This feed is valid, but may cause problems for some users. We  
recommend fixing these problems."

It would be better if the validator admitted it's fallibility and  
said straight up that it doesn't know if these are problems or not.

Graham