Subject: FYI: Google Reader and Atom 1.0

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:41:08 -0700

FYI:  Thanks to Robert Sayre for pointing it out, but when y'all get a 
chance, take a look at the internals of the new Google Reader app 
(http://reader.google.com).  It's using AJAX and Atom 1.0 feeds to serve 
up the data into the browser interface.  The interface itself leaves a 
lot to be desired, but the model they're using is significant. Well 
worth a look.

- James

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:13:31 +0200

> lot to be desired, but the model they're using is significant. Well 

Hm. As far as I can tell, it doesn't process Atom content of type XHTML, 
for instance (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webdav.atom>).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:05:45 -0400

> for instance (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/webdav.atom>).

There are definitely bugs with every feed format right now, but I
tried <http://tantek.com/log/posts.atom> and it worked fine.

Robert Sayre

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:01:04 -0700

Yes, there actually appear to be quite a few problems with the service 
right now.  Hopefully they'll get those worked out.  I'm also concerned 
about their use of named linked relations.  I understand that the feeds 
they are using to drive their app are intended only for their app, but 
it would still be good practice to adhere to the spec.  Minor infraction 
tho.