Subject: Application for addition to Atom Registry of Link Relations

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:05:44 -0700

The following is an application for a link relation value, as specified 
in the Atom Syndication Format. 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/idindex.cgi?command=id_detail&filename=draft-ietf-atompub-format 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/idindex.cgi?command=id_detail&filename=draft-ietf-atompub-format>>

Thank you

- James Snell

== Registry ==

http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations

== Attribute Value ==

"license"

== Description ==

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-atompub-feed-license-03.txt

== Display Characteristics ==

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-atompub-feed-license-03.txt

== Security Considerations ==

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-atompub-feed-license-03.txt

---

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:36:48 -0600

The following two bits seem incompatible with each other:

>    o  atom:entry, atom:feed and atom:source elements MUST NOT contain
>       more than one 'license' link relation with the same  
> combination of
>       type and hreflang attribute values.

>    Multiple license link relations MAY be used to indicate that the
>    informational content has been published under multiple copright
>    licenses.  In such instances, each of the linked licenses is
>    considered to be mutually exclusive of the others.

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:48:46 -0700

>>       type and hreflang attribute values.
Note the caveat, "with the same combination of type and hreflang 
attribute values".  The idea is to prevent a single license from being 
appearing more than once.

---

From: Antone Roundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:45:29 -0600

On Oct 21, 2005, at 12:48 PM, James M Snell wrote:
> attribute values".  The idea is to prevent a single license from  
> being appearing more than once.
>

So if something is going to link to both the Creative Commons License  
and the GPL, only one of the two can be an English text/html  
document?  Maybe it would make more sense to say "... MUST NOT  
contain more than one 'license' link with the same href attribute."   
Isn't that the whole point?

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:52:01 -0700

> Isn't that the whole point?
Ah, gotcha, it should be "with the same combination of href, type and 
hreflang attribute values"

- James

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:08:07 +1000

>>>    considered to be mutually exclusive of the others.

but the second bit of text suggests that the following is allowable:

    <link rel="license" href="pay-me-for-commercial-use" />
    <link rel="license" href="barter-for-commercial-use" />
    <link rel="license" href="free-for-non-commercial-use" />
    
which is a situation which should be allowable (IMHO), and so the
restriction should be removed:

>>>       combination of type and hreflang attribute values.

e.