Subject: app:updated ordering in Collections

From: Manuzhai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:01:13 +0100

Hi there,

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to this stuff, so please don't slap
me with a large trout or anything.

As I refactored my custom weblogging engine over the weekend I decided
to look at supporting the Atom protocol. I thought it was still named
Atom API, but after I could only find the spec drafts from 2003 on
atomenabled.org and remembering that I saw something newer I looked
around some more and I found draft 5 for the atompub spec [1,
obviously]. So, as I understand it, the Atom API effort was converted
into a more serious atompub-protocol effort. Point: should this maybe
be explained somewhere on the atomenabled.org site? Good to know.

Next, I started actually reading the spec. One question I have right
now, and it might be stupid since I haven't read all of the mailing
list archives just yet: the spec mentions in the intro of section 8
that Collection items are ordered by their app:updated element. I
wonder: why isn't the atom:updated element used for that? That would
obviate the need for a Collection-specific app:updated where the Feed
already uses atom:updated. If app:updated was used because items of
Generic Collections also need this ordering, it could still be
mandated that Entry Collections use atom:updated while Generic
Collections need app:updated.

That may seem like a minor nit, but it just seems, well, illogical.

Hope this is not too stupid,

Manuzhai

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-05.txt

---

From: Joe Gregorio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:14:01 -0500

The latest draft is -06 and is available here:

   http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/atomapi/draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-06.html

Section 9 uses atom:updated for the ordering of collections.

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org

---

From: Joe Gregorio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:17:52 -0500

Sorry, that URI should have been:

  http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-06.html

  -joe

---

From: Bill de hÓra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:23:08 +0000

>    http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/atomapi/draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-06.html

Hi Manuzhai,

try this one:

cheers
Bill