Subject: Signifying a Complete Feed

From: "Byrne Reese" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:32:48 -0400

Does anyone know of an extension or mechanism that can indicate whether
a given feed is a complete representation of the content it encompasses,
or is just a summary?

Here is the use case:

*	Both LiveJournal and TypePad give users the option of not
publishing the complete content of their posts inside their feed. In
stead, we publish a summary of the post in the <summary> element. That's
logical enough. We see there being value however in being able to
communicate to the reader that the contents represented by an <entry>
element is not a complete representation of that entry.

Is there an existing mechanism for this anywhere? An extension perhaps?

Byrne Reese

Manager, Platform Technology

http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/

---

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:13:04 +0200

* Byrne Reese <[email-masked]> [2005-10-13 19:40]:
> In stead, we publish a summary of the post in the <summary>
> element. That's logical enough. We see there being value
> however in being able to communicate to the reader that the
> contents represented by an <entry> element is not a complete
> representation of that entry.

Without atom:content, an atom:entry is not a complete
representation of a resource.

Is there any problem I’m missing?

Regards,
-- 
Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:16:12 -0700

Using Mark Nottingham's Feed History extension, you could do 
<fh:incremental>false</fh:incremental>

Byrne Reese wrote:

> Does anyone know of an extension or mechanism that can indicate 
> whether a given feed is a complete representation of the content it 
> encompasses, or is just a summary?
>
> Here is the use case:
>
>     * Both LiveJournal and TypePad give users the option of /not/
>       publishing the complete content of their posts inside their
>       feed. In stead, we publish a summary of the post in the
>       <summary> element. That’s logical enough. We see there being
>       value however in being able to communicate to the reader that
>       the contents represented by an <entry> element is not a complete

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:42:56 +0100

My understanding was that if fh:incremental was false the feed document 
should be considered a complete replacement for any previous document you 
may have received. This would be for things like top 10 lists.

I believe the question being asked here is actually about the entries 
themselves not being complete.

James M Snell wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an extension or mechanism that can indicate whether a 
>> given feed is a complete representation of the content it encompasses, or 
>> is just a summary?

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:56:07 -0700

Ah, missed that, you're right.  There is no way of indicating whether or 
not a feed is a full-content feed vs. a summary feed beyond the presence 
(or lack thereof) of the atom:content element.

James Holderness wrote:

>
> My understanding was that if fh:incremental was false the feed 
> document should be considered a complete replacement for any previous 
> document you may have received. This would be for things like top 10 
> lists.
>