Subject: feeds and groups

From: "Greger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:41:41 +0300

hi,
currently working on a proto RSS reader. Developed sort of a kind of feed
groups + feeds concept that I use. anyone interested in discussing such a thing?
you can finda sample at http://www.hack-space.biz/feeds/
thank's
--
http://www.gregerhaga.net/
http://hack-space.biz/

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:21:29 -0700

How is this any better than OPML?*

- James

---

From: "Greger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:10:20 +0300

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:21:29 -0700, James M Snell wrote
> How is this any better than OPML?*
opml is too general, also it makes no sense to put that much information in
attributes. in fact:it's ugly and not very elegant.

also, opml seems to have norelation with feeds and feed grouping. 

why is mine worse than opml?

---

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:34:41 +0200

* Greger <[email-masked]> [2007-04-13 21:05]:
> Developed sort of a kind of feed groups + feeds concept that I
> use. anyone interested in discussing such a thing? you can
> finda sample at http://www.hack-space.biz/feeds/

There was talk a year or two ago about expanding XBEL to handle
compound bookmarks so that you each feed would be a bookmark of
its blog plus a link to its feed and any other miscellaneous bits
of information such as the favicon. Noone was pressed to scratch
an itch, though, so it did not drive any coding and thus nothing
much ever came of it.

Regards,
-- 
Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>

---

From: "Greger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:54:58 +0300

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 00:34:41 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote
> an itch, though, so it did not drive any coding and thus nothing

here's documentation on my approach( or rather a functional implementation of
feed grouping/index)

http://gregerhaga.net/qxrssreader-1.2.32-x/classQxRSSFeeds_1_1QxRSSFeedsIndex.html

the reason to my attempts on this is that I find it way to expensive timewise
to add each of hte feeds of a (e.g.) newspaper's feeds. using an
index/grouping does eliminate that "cost", which in turn makes it simpler to
browse their contents. 
--
http://www.gregerhaga.net/
http://hack-space.biz/

---

From: Bill de hOra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 11:58:26 +0100

> you can finda sample at http://www.hack-space.biz/feeds/

Define some dt value extensions for XOXO; declare victory. Example, that 
describes the tree based content of a 'category':

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/hospital-services/atom.zip*

it deals with the fact that feeds are flat, and some people need to 
describe trees. I'm sure you could do something similar for lists of 
feeds very quickly.

Fwiw I looked at OPML for this last year, and concluded:

  - it wouldn't support i18n cleanly

  - it wouldn't support large text blocks cleanly

  - all that escaping due to attributes would be annoying to people 
downstream (generally putting all content into attributes is silly)

  - it's too arbitrary in terms of extension

  - when you show people XML instead of (X)HTML, it becomes an IT 
project  instead of a quick win

  - not requiring anything other than a browser to look at some content 
is compelling.

* btw, you can add "/entry.xml" to a URL underneath "/categories" on 
that site and get the content as an Atom entry. It's backed by Plone.

---

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:04:20 +0200

* Bill de hOra <[email-masked]> [2007-04-15 13:20]:
> Define some dt value extensions for XOXO; declare victory.

That was one of the alternatives in consideration in the previous
discussion I mentioned that settled on XBEL:

http://www.google.com/search?q=xoxo+site%3Acopia.ogbuji.net%2Fblog%2F2005-

Regards,

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:09:59 -0700

I didn't say it was worse ;-) ... It's hard to imagine anything that
would be worse than OPML.  I just wanted to make sure that you'd
considered the various existing alternatives and intentionally ruled
them out.

How about XOXO or XBEL?

- James

Greger wrote:
> [snip]