Subject: Suggestions for extension namespace URIs

From: "Joe Gregorio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:13:37 -0500

We (Google) are going to be producing I-Ds for
some extension elements in Atom. Anybody got
suggestions for picking a namespace URI?
We could use PURLs, or register our own
domain, but what are the options beyond that?

    Thanks,
    -joe

-- 
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:27:25 -0800

I manage the http://purl.org/atompub/* domain.  Feel free to use that as
a base for new extension namespace URIs.  The naming pattern I've been
following is http://purl.org/atompub/{extension}/{version}.  e.g.,
http://purlorg/atompub/foo/1.0.

- James

---

From: "David Powell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:42:49 -0000

> domain, but what are the options beyond that?

End the URIs with a '/'.  It is nicer.

-- 
Dave

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:11:00 +1100

Likewise, I've got purl.org/syndication, and am happy to delegate  
portions of that to folks who are producing extensions that are  
(possibly) usable in Atom and RSS.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Bill de hOra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:01:06 +0000

> domain, but what are the options beyond that?

Use http:, end them in /, and don't use fragids.

cheers
Bill

---

From: Tim Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:50:41 -0800

> domain, but what are the options beyond that?

If you're going to use an http: URI, which I recommend, use one where  
you can put some helpful supporting info.  So grab reverse-atom- 
frobnostication.net or some such.  -Tim

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:21:06 -0000

> suggestions for picking a namespace URI?

I'm sorry this is slightly off topic, but would the extensions used in the 
Google Reader "shared items" feeds be one of the things you're planning to 
document? And if so, will the current namespace URI change? Or are those 
proprietary feeds that are only meant to be accessible to Google Reader?

I understand if you're not at liberty to disclose that kind of information.

Regards
James