Subject: Multilingual Atom Feeds

From: Alexis Georges <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:25:30 -0400

Hello everyone,

Are recommendations / best practices for setting up multilingual feeds?

I am working on a website which has a "main" news feed in English; all  
entries are to be translated into a few other languages. The entries  
are stored in an eXist instance; there are as many feeds as languages.

I have been going through the Atom Syndication specs, and I can see  
that there a few "tools" available, such as @hreflang +  
@rel="alternate" in an atom:entry.

But I am still wondering about a few things. Let's say I have a  
fictitious atom:entry ENTRY. It is published first in english,  
ENTRY_EN: it has an atom:id, atom:published (the permalink is added  
when the feed is requested, and points to the actual URI of the  
website's news section), and other required elements. The atom:id and  
atom:published must be shared by ENTRY_EN and the translated entries  
(if I understood things properly), since they are really alternate  
versions of the same entry ENTRY, right?

I hope this was clear.

Thanks!

Alexis Georges