Subject: Re: use of IRIs in Atom

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:42:37 +0200

On 2012-08-01 18:36, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
> And why even URLs? They could have been UUIDs or somesuch. But that's
> water under the bridge, I suppose...
>
> On 8/1/12 10:26 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> My .02 - if we were to do Atom again, I wouldn't have used IRIs for identifiers; they're not presented to users, so they don't really offer any benefit over URIs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ...

Using URI syntax makes it very easy to generate unique identifiers.

Note that there are scenarios where you produce Atom feeds from some 
other source which doesn't come with UUIDs, and if you don't want to 
introduce a new persistence, you'll need a different way to mint these 
indentifiers (such as using a constant UUID + something that varies 
based on the data source entries).

Best regards, Julian